Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

speckle wrote: »
    Alot of elders and disabled and high risk people dont drive or use computers well. Not stereotyping as I have alot of elders in family only 2/8 can. And for example clothes boots etc you have the hassle of having to send back if not right. Many Post offices closed down the countryside recently. I will be fine and I am high risk but got very tired last time around having to help so many others who are also high risk around me.
    But I get where you are coming from some thing work out cheaper but for example minium income people last time re shopping online... I compared all major stores online and safely visited them in person as I was the lowest high risk of them . On a budget you got better deals visiting in person. I wasn't bad because I sorted myself out in jan and feb. But I fear for other vulnarable high risk people especially down the country this time. people are tired. Also noted nearby 10 houses high risk people who dont drive because of illness/finances another 10 houses nearby with cars only one offer, once to help.

Most of the people you describe in your post would actually benefit from ordering online. Stores like Symths, Dunnes, Argos etc don't give people discounts for turning up at the store and trying to haggle.

A few times when in the store I mentioned the price on their site was cheaper than the instore price because they hadn't updated their site.

True a lot of post offices closed in the last few years, but deliveries are to your home, not the nearest post office. Also true that a lot of older people aren't great with computers or might not have internet access. My dad would be one of these people without access, but he just rings me and says what he or one of his friends are looking for and I order it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,222 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gael23 wrote: »
    Dublin now out of control

And Mayo beat them, again why are the GAA matches still going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You kidding me? The country is fuxkin full of curtain twitchers and moral guardians just waiting for you to step out of line. That’s half the problem in this country.

They can twitch away . If i want to buy half of Smyths for my grand kids then I will .
    I have no idea why that would concern anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Dublin very high still despite how many weeks in level 3

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1317867545521684480

4 weeks on Friday just gone afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ridiculous to still have Dublin on L3 when it was blatantly obvious a week ago it wasn't working.

Nobody can defend that decision

Should have been enough to show it wasn’t going to work anywhere

That and the continental evidence with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

408 in Dublin.

Level 3 does not drop the Ro below 1 it seems. Schools closing would probably drop it by 0.4 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dublin very high still despite how many weeks in level 3

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1317867545521684480

All 3 did was close bars and restaurants for indoor food in Dublin.

Not sure what people expected it to do??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I don’t disagree with that. I would do 8-10 weeks of L5 IF there was a documented plan for what would be done by government in that 8-10 weeks such that we would then ‘live with it’ thereafter at no worse than L2, no matter what. This would be do-able, even in the absence of an effective vaccine until 2022, if there were good preparations made and 15 minute testing available to all and international travel procedures developed and hospital capacity sorted, and everything else, in that 8-10 weeks

Never going to happen, it will take them longer than that to agree on where the meetings will be held, and what order the seats around the table will be in, and then they'll only be able to meet for very limited periods of time because of the covid restrictions on indoor meeting duration.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Do they publish info on where the new cases are in Dublin, e.g. 50 in Tallaght, 45 in Clondalkin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Is the RIP guy still posting here?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Not everyone shops on line or has a card, especially older

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

MattS1 wrote: »
    Do they publish info on where the new cases are in Dublin, e.g. 50 in Tallaght, 45 in Clondalkin etc

Every Thursday the LEA map is updated but contains 14 days data

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

And Mayo beat them, again why are the GAA matches still going on?

Mayo beat Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MattS1 wrote: »

It gets published by local electoral are infrequently

It would be useful to know a breakdown of cases but resource constraints means it takes time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Closed bars for indoor activities and opened the doors for house parties. No enforcement whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

More that Donnelly said a few days ago that it was too early to tell if it was working. Need a serious intervention now to break chains of transmission.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not everyone shops on line or has a card, especially older

Seriously? Even the most basic bank account has a debit card

Are you saying people don't have bank accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

ICU remaining fairly steady.

For a population our size, these figures really are not bad.

they measure very favourably against the situation in Europe

It's great ICU numbers are steady, problem is longer you let the virus spread without control, numbers on ICU and hospitalisations will rise, and I believe non of us wants that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Possible now we'll be looking at 2000 cases a day this time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

At least we’re beating the Nordies now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Everyone knows it'll be nothing like normal, no pubs etc.

People will still want to get people a present or two and relax at home for a few days, give them that at least. You sound like scrooge. People still need something to look forward to, albeit a different experience.

You can bet on shops being open early December.

I think you’ve misunderstood me. I don’t think shops should close at all. But if the thinking is to close everything, stop people having any house visitors for the next couple of months to “save Christmas” and have it a free for all for a week or two (house parties, house visits to everyone in the locality) where we’re back to square one and another lockdown in January, that would be ridiculous.

For one year only, I’d be happy to take the hit and have a quiet Christmas at home down the country with my family.

Stheno wrote: »
    Seriously? Even the most basic bank account has a debit card

Are you saying people don't have bank accounts?

Yes

I've an uncle who saves in the post office with a book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

wadacrack wrote: »
    Level 3 does not drop the Ro below 1 it seems. Schools closing would probably drop it by 0.4 or so

How did you calculate the 0.4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

408 in Dublin.

Yes, but the rate of the rate of the increase of the rate increase has not increased in rate.

Mayo beat Galway.

:o there is my GAA knowledge

The matches should not be going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Miike wrote: »
    https://assets.gov.ie/90993/73b45080-0fc5-44fb-9495-79ea63665e45.pdf

Not for you specifically Stheno, but incase anyone would like to read their rationale for the turn around and subsequent recommendation.

Yes .
    The poor government , getting a surprise like that .
    And straight away Leo jumped on to Claire Byrne show to throw out false accusations and criticism.
    Nothing but spin because they didn't want to do anything until after the budget .
    This is an incompetent government who don't understand how fast this virus has spread despite the above from NPHET being explained to them .
    Might have been able to spin it 2 weeks ago , but what is their excuse now?
    And Stheno , that was not the OPs point btw in the post I was replying to .
    The point was NPHET's communication and he was blaming them for the poor government's inability to manage .

Yes

I've an uncle who saves in the post office with a book

Thats frankly ridiculous in this day and age

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Eod100 wrote: »
    More that Donnelly said a few days ago that it was too early to tell if it was working. Need a serious intervention now to break chains of transmission.

Wasn't Donnelly talking about nationwide level 3 when he said it was too early.

Blondini wrote: »
    Yes, but the rate of the rate of the increase of the rate increase has not increased in rate.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Is the RIP guy still posting here?

Yeah he's back again as a thanks whøre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement