Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Every other country has sports ongoing without an issue.
    Why should we be any different?

They're professional sports and professional sportsmen. Not a bunch of boggers going for a huge drinking session after their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stheno wrote: »
    Thats frankly ridiculous in this day and age

Why, he feels comfortable saving there when collecting his pension, plus no fees or charges

He cannot use a computer, never learned or needed to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Polar101 wrote: »
    25% of the previous 4 Taoiseachs didn't have one.

Think he was actually Minister of Finance at the time which arguably makes it worse! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I get the impression this is a subtle dig at someone who was posting yesterday about Dublin's figures being a positive sign that we might have turned a corner

Despite the massive Dublin number Dublin is lower down the county by county incidence number showing that level 3 did something but not nearly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

At any point ever is anyone in the lockdown camp going to actually look for hard scientific evidence and data that the lockdown will actually do anything, or are they doing it just to appease those living in fear even though the knock on impact is going to be worse for non covid illness, mental health, lonleyness. While we are at it are we ever gonna get any evidence or data to support wearing masks, because to me them seem to be doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    What other sports are going ahead outside of Pro rugby
    NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, La Liga, Ligue 1/2, Seria A/B/C, Bundesliga/Bundesliga 2/3. Liga, Premier League, Championship, League 1, League 2, Vanarama National League, Vanarama Championship, Portuguese Soccer League, all soccer internationals. Just to name a few.

And all using the same rapid testing that the GAA is using for intercounty.
    Where's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Seriously? Even the most basic bank account has a debit card

Are you saying people don't have bank accounts?

My mother in her early 70s would not have a clue how to order anything online and would be terrified to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Not everyone shops on line or has a card, especially older

Would you quit painting all older people like Neanderthals. I don't know one person under 75 without a debit or credit card and who couldn't complete a sale online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Thats frankly ridiculous in this day and age

Was the PO at risk of collapse in 2008? People can be VERY conservative about their €€€. And the retail banks like BOI and AIB are very fee-happy. Just sayin it may not be all that ridiculous.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    They're professional sports and professional sportsmen. Not a bunch of boggers going for a huge drinking session after their games.
    Not sure what intercounty team you follow, but mine certainly doesn't do that :confused:

• Advertisement

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-nordics-hockey-idUSKBN26U1TR

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think you’ve misunderstood me. I don’t think shops should close at all. But if the thinking is to close everything, stop people having any house visitors for the next couple of months to “save Christmas” and have it a free for all for a week or two (house parties, house visits to everyone in the locality) where we’re back to square one and another lockdown in January, that would be ridiculous.

For one year only, I’d be happy to take the hit and have a quiet Christmas at home down the country with my family.

To be honest, I finish work on the 23rd so after that I might meet a few friends for pints and then from Xmas eve for the next few days its just the family at home.

So for me minus the meeting for pints not much will be different, just chill at home with the family for a few days, watch a few films and football. Much prefer the few days I have off work to just be relaxed days, not a fan of the Stpehens day rush to the shops or the pub

NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, La Liga, Ligue 1/2, Seria A/B/C, Bundesliga/Bundesliga 2/3. Liga, Premier League, Championship, League 1, League 2, Vanarama National League, Vanarama Championship, Portuguese Soccer League, all soccer internationals. Just to name a few.

And all using the same rapid testing that the GAA is using for intercounty.
    Where's the difference?

A large amount of Irish people despise the gaa for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

I would love if GAA could continue. The thing with comparing it with sport in other countries is no1 our health system is a mess and secondly the teams/clubs are professional and can isolate. GAA can’t as most are guards, teachers, public sector jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

niallo27 wrote: »
    My mother in her early 70s would not have a clue how to order anything online and would be terrified to try it.

Then she's a rarity. We've been online over 25 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Despite the massive Dublin number Dublin is lower down the county by county incidence number showing that level 3 did something but not nearly enough.

I'm convinced the problem is that Dublin was dragged back up because the rate of infection was soaring everywhere else - lots of people travel into Dublin for work, so it was inevitable. Figures not good today but I still feel we'll see numbers stabilise over the next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

At any point ever is anyone in the lockdown camp going to actually look for hard scientific evidence and data that the lockdown will actually do anything, or are they doing it just to appease those living in fear even though the knock on impact is going to be worse for non covid illness, mental health, lonleyness. While we are at it are we ever gonna get any evidence or data to support wearing masks, because to me them seem to be doing nothing.

We need to protect the economy by controlling the spread of the virus.

Anyone who thinks the economy will not take a detrimental hit due to uncontrolled spread of the virus is nothing but deluded.

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1317791223587930112

For those that are saying we're damaging ourselves by going further than other EU states with restrictions - our economy is actually doing better than the countries you point to.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    They're not testing them. Intercounty GAA players are being tested :rolleyes:
    Friday night's significant development, however, is the rapid testing structure which will allow for tests to be performed and results returned with 48 hours, crucial in allowing a streamlined flow for a particularly compacted championship.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1009/1170601-rapid-covid-19-testing-for-gaa-players-to-be-rolled-out/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

GAA players go back into work the following day, which makes it a lot higher risk than something like professional soccer and rugby.

Other countries have shut down some sports too that couldn't be done safely e.g. Netherlands and France banned professional road cycling races in areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Most of the people you describe in your post would actually benefit from ordering online. Stores like Symths, Dunnes, Argos etc don't give people discounts for turning up at the store and trying to haggle.

A few times when in the store I mentioned the price on their site was cheaper than the instore price because they hadn't updated their site.

True a lot of post offices closed in the last few years, but deliveries are to your home, not the nearest post office. Also true that a lot of older people aren't great with computers or might not have internet access. My dad would be one of these people without access, but he just rings me and says what he or one of his friends are looking for and I order it for them.
    Yeh, thanks have tried over the summer to implement and start them off or twin them with people. And have kept reminding to keep 2 weeks of non persibles in their houses. One person very good lives maybe 15 miles away and did some delievrys of food. Our nearest stores got a reader for cards and will deliever but prices way higher. I used to do that with hotels and point to a lower price online. Lidli and aldi and dunnes dont deliever here. Tesco will but has prices cheaper instore as many elders live off their special offers and last time getting a slot was like gold dust and a max no of items didnt go far when looking after more than one household.2 local charitys have closed down last year that would have sorted stuff like this.

Just having not such a good day as I was about to take a break for myself. You know what have just decided if the gov brings this in I am just going to ring up the local gov tds and get them to sort it. Thanks for more ideas.

• Advertisement

Quite a few top class sports people have got covid, it's an issue in all sports everywhere

A large number of cases here are linked to GAA, all sports are non essential imho, postponing, cancelling should be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

A large amount of Irish people despise the gaa for some reason.

Well that muck-savage GAA celebration in Cork didn't help, with them basically licking each other.

As Paddy might say, a bunch of bog monkeys.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

I can assure you she is not.

titan18 wrote: »
    GAA players go back into work the following day, which makes it a lot higher risk than something like professional soccer and rugby.

Other countries have shut down some sports too that couldn't be done safely e.g. Netherlands and France banned professional road cycling races in areas
    The SSE Airtricity League stops if the GAA stops. Professional means sweet f*ck all in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

when 15 randomers are allowed to traverse the country and cross international borders to play on a pitch with 15 other randomers, while the rest of us are told we can't pop next door to visit or family, they won't get this under control or get buy in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I actually don't know anyone in that age group who don't shop online, so perhaps thats skewing my view

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My grandparents won’t use their card online

Would you quit painting all older people like Neanderthals. I don't know one person under 75 without a debit or credit card and who couldn't complete a sale online.

Good for you but I do know a few both elderly and middle aged without bank accounts and bank debit credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Dublin showing level three is not effective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

The SSE Airtricity League stops if the GAA stops. Professional means sweet f*ck all in this country.

A lot of the Airtrictity league is part time so there’s huge potential for clusters and transmissions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement