Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

niallo27 wrote: »
    A large amount of Irish people despise the gaa for some reason.

Well that muck-savage GAA celebration in Cork didn't help, with them basically licking each other.

As Paddy might say, a bunch of bog monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Then she's a rarity. We've been online over 25 years now.

I can assure you she is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

titan18 wrote: »
    GAA players go back into work the following day, which makes it a lot higher risk than something like professional soccer and rugby.

Other countries have shut down some sports too that couldn't be done safely e.g. Netherlands and France banned professional road cycling races in areas
    The SSE Airtricity League stops if the GAA stops. Professional means sweet f*ck all in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

when 15 randomers are allowed to traverse the country and cross international borders to play on a pitch with 15 other randomers, while the rest of us are told we can't pop next door to visit or family, they won't get this under control or get buy in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My mother in her early 70s would not have a clue how to order anything online and would be terrified to try it.

I actually don't know anyone in that age group who don't shop online, so perhaps thats skewing my view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My grandparents won’t use their card online

• Registered Users Posts: 86,222 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Would you quit painting all older people like Neanderthals. I don't know one person under 75 without a debit or credit card and who couldn't complete a sale online.

Good for you but I do know a few both elderly and middle aged without bank accounts and bank debit credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Dublin showing level three is not effective

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

The SSE Airtricity League stops if the GAA stops. Professional means sweet f*ck all in this country.

A lot of the Airtrictity league is part time so there’s huge potential for clusters and transmissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

We need to protect the economy by controlling the spread of the virus.

Anyone who thinks the economy will not take a detrimental hit due to uncontrolled spread of the virus is nothing but deluded.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1317791223587930112

The lockdowns have already destroyed our economy and people's lives if you can't see that then your the one delueded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The risk is when they're amateur. Things like NBA that you listed were able to bubble their players, so are other sports. Even cycling like in the Tour were able to bubble relatively safely . The GAA can't bubble their players.

when 15 randomers are allowed to traverse the country and cross international borders to play on a pitch with 15 other randomers, while the rest of us are told we can't pop next door to visit or family, they won't get this under control or get buy in.

Equally, while kids are going to school and parents hanging out at the school gates, those without kids aren’t really going to buy into not being able to go and visit family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

is_that_so wrote: »
    I really don't care who leaked it, because leaks happen all the time. They should be obliged to clearly explain that chain of events from 2-5, IMO.
    A bit dramatic with the peril as Donnelly can dissolve them tomorrow if he chooses, he has that power.
    If I were at LC I'd be bringing a case as well. My view was always to run the exams and have that graded mess as a backup for those who didn't want to. They did it in Spain in far worse conditions and with much larger numbers.

No ..the' peril' as stated, is in public anger if they continue to ignore their own emergency team's advice , not from NPHET :)
    As for the leaks, I don't care about them either except government ministers should not be allowed blame public servants for leaks that they have leaked themselves or their advisors, with impunity .
    We are not yet living in a Trumpian society where those public servants doing their jobs are ridiculed publicly and blamed incorrectly from TV and Twitter. At least that is not the society I want .

My dad is 78 and doesn't have a debit card and is completed out of the loop technology wise. I would know quite a number of people in that age group who are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, La Liga, Ligue 1/2, Seria A/B/C, Bundesliga/Bundesliga 2/3. Liga, Premier League, Championship, League 1, League 2, Vanarama National League, Vanarama Championship, Portuguese Soccer League, all soccer internationals. Just to name a few.

And all using the same rapid testing that the GAA is using for intercounty.
    Where's the difference?

How do you know what testing the GAA are using? or if they are all being tested at all?

Edit: Just saw your other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ronin88 wrote: »
    A lot of the Airtrictity league is part time so there’s huge potential for clusters and transmissions.
    The Airtricity League has been running since July. There has been zero issues with any of the teams. Not sure what teams you follow either but every single premier division team besides possibly Finn Harps is full time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Might be that all sports able to bubble their players are allowed continue while sports unable to bubble their players ahve to stop.

The GAA players have a huge amount of contacts given that other GAA players are pretty much all contacts and they have close contacts in their workplaces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The lockdowns have already destroyed our economy and people's lives if you can't see that then your the one delueded

Uncontrolled spread of the virus would have been far, far more damaging to the economy and that remains the case. Our economy is doing well compared to others in Europe. If you think the economy has been destroyed then you have no idea what may be in store for us in the weeks ahead should we fail to get to grips with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes

I've an uncle who saves in the post office with a book

Yes there are always some, who for whatever reason have limited access to services at the best of times and they get by with their basic arrangements in normal times, the situation is obviously worse now and requires other solutions.

The obvious hope is that friends and family can step up and help out in these exceptional times. Even if that is not possible, I spent time on a national helpline during the last lockdown (redeployed), helping to coordinate food deliveries, hospital appointment transport, pension and medical supply collections, scheduled comfort phone calls, even TV repairs... whatever was required, for older isloated people. There were regular calls too from ordinary people volunteering to help out in their own restricted 5km areas.

There are organisations that can help - at least there were at that time. I hope the help network wasn't totally dismantled when we returned to near normal, but I suspect that it probably was and it will have to be reinvented again. We could ask for help from GAA, An Post, Gardai, and local councils at the time. The spirit of cooperation would give you some hope, and it will be needed again, when we restrict further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Equally, while kids are going to school and parents hanging out at the school gates, those without kids aren’t really going to buy into not being able to go and visit family and friends

I know many people without kids who support the fact that keeping the schools open has been prioritised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i wonder how many of those GAA players that travelled and played the weekend work in schools

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm convinced the problem is that Dublin was dragged back up because the rate of infection was soaring everywhere else - lots of people travel into Dublin for work, so it was inevitable. Figures not good today but I still feel we'll see numbers stabilise over the next week.

I don't think a week will be enough. I think we will begin to see the effects of the ban on households visits in Dublin the week after next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

I can assure you she is not.

My mother is of a similar age, and she wouldn't know how to order anything online either.

Wouldn't agree with views such as "elderly people don't know how to use computers" at all, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

408 dublin cases?? christ on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

To be honest, I finish work on the 23rd so after that I might meet a few friends for pints and then from Xmas eve for the next few days its just the family at home.

So for me minus the meeting for pints not much will be different, just chill at home with the family for a few days, watch a few films and football. Much prefer the few days I have off work to just be relaxed days, not a fan of the Stpehens day rush to the shops or the pub

This is it. So long as we have that, how bad? Currently as it is, we can’t even visit anyone, so even that will be something look forward to. A week of eating, drinking, seeing my family and watching movies sounds pretty good right now. And finally saying goodbye to this b*****d of a year and ringing in 2021! It can’t be any worse that 2020, right? :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Simple Simon on the news thinks he's still minister for health. Was saying something that the county by county approach isn't working. Well, who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,222 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Igotadose wrote: »
    Was the PO at risk of collapse in 2008? People can be VERY conservative about their €€€. And the retail banks like BOI and AIB are very fee-happy. Just sayin it may not be all that ridiculous.

BOI now charge €72 a year fee, rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This is from yesterday but handy to see incidence rates when levels brought in on the far right column

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1317511646047277063/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

owlbethere wrote: »
    What would level 4 mean? Currently we are a bit of mish-mash of all the levels.

There's a chart describing the levels on the RTÉ News website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement