Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    BOI now charge €72 a year fee, rip off

AIB are hot on their heels with charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Does anyone know will the restrictions take effect from midnight tomorrow or Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would it be from midnight tomorrow or Tuesday when these new restrictions will come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Does anyone know will the restrictions take effect from midnight tomorrow or Tuesday?

whatever they do the schools will be left fully opened anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Uncontrolled spread of the virus would have been far, far more damaging to the economy and that remains the case. Our economy is doing well compared to others in Europe. If you think the economy has been destroyed then you have no idea what may be in store for us in the weeks ahead should we fail to get to grips with this.

Please enlighten me what is ahead of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

speckle wrote: »
    argos has a five euro item charge for delievering eg a kettle. Great if your made of money
    Id say argos power city etc will be open as essential or at minium click and collect this time I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

The Airtricity League has been running since July. There has been zero issues with any of the teams. Not sure what teams you follow either but every single premier division team besides possibly Finn Harps is full time.

I don’t follow any particular team but there are two divisions are there not? The first division is certainly not full time. There have been 4-5 teams in recently weeks that have had to postpone games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

niallo27 wrote: »
    I can assure you she is not.

I think so too.
    My mother and a few of her friends would be the same- not that they are representative of everyone in their age group, but i'd say a fair chunk of people 70 plus would not be into shopping online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

wadacrack wrote: »
    Level 3 does not drop the Ro below 1 it seems. Schools closing would probably drop it by 0.4 or so

Cases are not high in schools

Can we stop this utterly nonsensical narrative that schools are to blame

It’s as bad as ‘house parties’

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Uncontrolled spread of the virus would have been far, far more damaging to the economy and that remains the case. Our economy is doing well compared to others in Europe. If you think the economy has been destroyed then you have no idea what may be in store for us in the weeks ahead should we fail to get to grips with this.

Nobody is saying uncontrolled spread or do you regard level 3 restrictions as uncontrolled spread. Our economy is being proped up by multi nationals which is great for revenue but not great for the half a million who will be out of work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,773 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We’ll probably go to Level 4 tomorrow.
    I wish them luck keeping the Northerners out of border counties. That’s not going to be easy but it’s very necessary.
    Young people around the big towns are not obeying the rules either and some publicans are doing a lot of sneaky business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

billyhead wrote: »
    Would it be from midnight tomorrow or Tuesday when these new restrictions will come in?

I'd say midnight Tuesday going by latest restrictions to give some bit of notice but that's just speculation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    BOI now charge €72 a year fee, rip off

18 euro quarterly fee isn't it? ..........they hiked it up from about 3.50 a couple years ago, my calculator can't even work out that kind of % increase :D

my mistake that's TSB

• Registered Users Posts: 86,220 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Then she's a rarity. We've been online over 25 years now.

Good for you but there is many not

• Registered Users Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I am certainly anti lockdown.

I am certainly not anti vaccine, I’ll be the 1st to take it, if only to be allowed return to social normality.

The reason I’m questioning the vaccine is because of the protocols that surround them and what many people think the vaccine will achieve regarding sickness and death.

“We all expect an effective vaccine to prevent serious illness if infected. Three of the vaccine protocols—Moderna, Pfizer, and AstraZeneca—do not require that their vaccine prevent serious disease only that they prevent moderate symptoms which may be as mild as cough, or headache.”

It’s likely the vaccine most likely to approved in the shortest timeframe will neither prevent serious symptoms or provide immunity.

The restrictions have suppressed the social interactions of society under the pretence they will prevent sickness and death until a vaccine is approved. Now from the information I gather, a vaccine will be unlikely to prevent sickness or death, especially so in the vulnerable, who are most likely to get sick and die.

I’m wondering at what point do we start to begin living with covid as much as safely possible, like those unethical folk in Sweden have done.

So basically you’ll do fûck all to enable the virus not to spread, fûck all to keep people safe and well.. but you’ll be “THE FIRST TO TAKE IT” once the vaccine is approved ?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Our economy is doing better than most, because it is heavily skewed with high tech and pharma foreign investment. While it digs us out of a hole now, it is not a healthy economic position to be in, long term - and we have been warned about that before, many times.

All the many thousands of jobs lost where ordinary people do ordinary work, didn't affect our economy by as much as expected, because our future lies in the hands of a few global multinationals, who could up sticks and leave us high and dry if they get a better deal, or the tax deals run out.

When we get past Covid, we need to add that to the list of things to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

We need to protect the economy by controlling the spread of the virus.

Anyone who thinks the economy will not take a detrimental hit due to uncontrolled spread of the virus is nothing but deluded.

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1317791223587930112

For those that are saying we're damaging ourselves by going further than other EU states with restrictions - our economy is actually doing better than the countries you point to.

GDP is not an accurate measure of the real world Irish economy due to the large amount of MNCs funnelling profits through Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Why do people get so worked up about Christmas in the first place? I absolutely hate the normal frenzy involved.

Used to love Christmas but now that I've learned you don't like it then I agree that people should just stop making a big deal of it. The whole world would just fall apart if one person were to dislike a thing whilst at the same time other people were to like that thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Despite the massive Dublin number Dublin is lower down the county by county incidence number showing that level 3 did something but not nearly enough.

This isnt because Dublin has done well though, it’s because the rest of the country is rampant

“We’re bad but hey we could be that bad”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

niallo27 wrote: »
    Nobody is saying uncontrolled spread or do you regard level 3 restrictions as uncontrolled spread. Our economy is being proped up by multi nationals which is great for revenue but not great for the half a million who will be out of work

The WHO and most national health authorities consider a consistent positivity rate of over 5% as being uncontrolled spread. Contact tracing is ineffective from there on in. We are there. Uncontrolled spread is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

bennyl10 wrote: »

The idea that schools are the problem is completely unsupported by any data. I genuinely don't understand why people keep bringing it up and it's clearly not the major issue. A cursory look at the data will tell you that there has been a huge spike in infections in young adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Simple Simon on the news thinks he's still minister for health. Was saying something that the county by county approach isn't working. Well, who knew?
    He was available to talk and he does know more than the current MoH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Then she's a rarity. We've been online over 25 years now.

Yes but a lot of people in the high risk groups had been offline for 50 even 60 years before that. And I coming to that as a person who saw my first computer 35 years or so ago. I can see both sides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bennyl10 wrote: »

Theres no one element to blame. We need to cut out 30 or 40 sources of transmission.

One element isn't enough.

To be honest the main benefit of schools being out is that it might act to force compliance with wfh as parents will have to wfh due to lack of childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

whatever they do the schools will be left fully opened anyway

In 6 weeks cases will still be the same, possibly higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Steady as she goes.

speckle wrote: »
    Yeh, thanks have tried over the summer to implement and start them off or twin them with people. And have kept reminding to keep 2 weeks of non persibles in their houses. One person very good lives maybe 15 miles away and did some delievrys of food. Our nearest stores got a reader for cards and will deliever but prices way higher. I used to do that with hotels and point to a lower price online. Lidli and aldi and dunnes dont deliever here. Tesco will but has prices cheaper instore as many elders live off their special offers and last time getting a slot was like gold dust and a max no of items didnt go far when looking after more than one household.2 local charitys have closed down last year that would have sorted stuff like this.

Just having not such a good day as I was about to take a break for myself. You know what have just decided if the gov brings this in I am just going to ring up the local gov tds and get them to sort it. Thanks for more ideas.

Haven't found a difference between Tesco prices online and in store to be honest, I don't bother with online deliveries for food but check the special offers section before going to them, and only use them for specific items.
    Understand the getting out of the house part of going to the shops for some people, wouldn't be such a person myself as I hate having to do the shopping :-)
    Good luck with your neighbors and harassing the local politicians, just remind them that older people are more likely to vote and it would be terrible if the local newspapers etc got wind that they weren't willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

when 15 randomers are allowed to traverse the country and cross international borders to play on a pitch with 15 other randomers, while the rest of us are told we can't pop next door to visit or family, they won't get this under control or get buy in.

The GAA shouldn't need to be given instructions. They would be far more respected if they just halt everything once the rules are out tomorrow. We are all making sacrifices. Feck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

billyhead wrote: »
    There will be a Cabinet meeting tomorrow so might be Tuesday to give people time to adjust or shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bit of a tangent but can now renew by post instead of in person for anyone who knows anyone who is over 70 needing to renew their driver's license soon. Had to go in person up to this as renewing online wasn't possible if over 70.

Just a FYI in case it saves someone a trip.

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1316759607268737027

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement