Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Is anyone in Ireland sequencing the genome(s) of the Covid-19 strain(s) which is/are causing the present second wave ?

It should be possible to determine where the majority of the virus has come from... since the government has squandered the single figure incidence we had achieved in June. It's no good telling us that 'domestic spread' is responsible for the increase in cases. The virus does not drop out of the light fittings... someone brought it into the house.

Likewise... many people probably brought it back into Ireland. Was it Hank from Dallas, Alexandru from Romania, Billy from Portadown or George from Chipping Norton ?

We need to learn from this present early exponential omnishambles, in order to prevent exactly the same thing from happening again.

A good recent article on the uses of Covid-19 genomic epidemiology from the Washington Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Do you have a split personality or something :p

You said this just yesterday!
    'The more data that comes out the more it is converging to being as deadly as the flu, especially when looking at 2nd wave stats.

posted before but I would trust this

https://off-guardian.org/2020/09/29/...d-to-lockdown/'

Data keeps ****ing changing and I don;t know what to believe anymore.

I need to stay away from media for a day or 2 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

froog wrote: »
    absolute disgrace. and they were some of the loudest shouting about how GAA matches were zero risk and how terribly unfair the crowd restrictions were at matches and of course no one ever saw any groups of people close by at matches or after etc etc

Remember this.....

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1295831511854350337?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wasn't aware of the sheebeen issue!
    The Vintners Federation of Ireland has said the increase in shebeens is widespread and the group is calling on the Gardaí to take further action.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1014/1171533-shebeens-causing-significant-problems-vfi/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I know from involvement with another sporting organisation how hard it is at the moment. You can have a hundred clubs doing the right thing, but it only takes one club to act the maggot and give everyone else a bad name - and risk the sport.

The GAA is a massive organisation, and can't control every club.

I don't know what sporting organisations can do, but I suggest they start by being much more heavy-handed in ensuring their rules are being implemented - and liberally start suspending clubs.

The problem then for these organisations is they know this will end. And actions now can leave a legacy of bad blood which will last a long time afterwards. The Government & Sports Ireland can help here by putting pressure on sporting organisations and acting as the bad cop to the organisations good cop.

Sport is important, and when it's outdoors it seems 99% safe - it's when it moves indoors or crowds gather that the risk goes through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Data keeps ****ing changing and I don;t know what to believe anymore.

I need to stay away from media for a day or 2 ...

Yeh it's hard to know at times.Sometimes you hear stories like back when they tested all the factory workers in Kildare a while and 90% were asymptomatic and you think wow the restrictions are so overblown but then other stories like USA for example having 275k excess deaths currently, hard to reconcile these two kind of realities for example . I gess it's just really important to remain aware of the fact that it is just a really mild disease for a lot of us and a really dangerous disease for others, hard to remain concious of the fact that something that wouldn't likely not even give me a cough (24,fit) is deadly but yeh it's important to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Bad

1269 cases 7%+ positivity.

Some jump, feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Crucial number for me tonight is Dublin... of we are talking about around 1000 nationally, I would be hoping Dublin isn't much more than 200 to confirm the reduced growth rate after Level 3 enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Monaghan and Kerry will mark the return of the Allianz National Football League when they meet in Division 1 on Saturday at 2pm in Pairc Gratten Inniskeen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

hmmm wrote: »
    I know from involvement with another sporting organisation how hard it is at the moment. You can have a hundred clubs doing the right thing, but it only takes one club to act the maggot and give everyone else a bad name - and risk the sport.

The GAA is a massive organisation, and can't control every club.

I don't know what sporting organisations can do, but I suggest they start by being much more heavy-handed in ensuring their rules are being implemented - and liberally start suspending clubs.

The problem then for these organisations is they know this will end. And actions now can leave a legacy of bad blood which will last a long time afterwards. The Government & Sports Ireland can help here by putting pressure on sporting organisations and acting as the bad cop to the organisations good cop.

Sport is important, and when it's outdoors it seems 99% safe - it's when it moves indoors or crowds gather that the risk goes through the roof.

Very level headed comment, fairplay.

But it is hard to be rationale with the mob I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

In the last week or two, the virus has been 'circling the drain' for me. Started with contacts of contacts of contacts, then to contacts of contacts but not yet to contacts.

I think most of us will end up getting it at one point, no matter what we do. We can only control our actions, not the actions of others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Crucial number for me tonight is Dublin... of we are talking about around 1000 nationally, I would be hoping Dublin isn't much more than 200 to confirm the reduced growth rate after Level 3 enacted.
    The problem with the idea is that flattening out at 900 a day would be beyond the ability of the HSE to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

funnydoggy wrote: »
    In the last week or two, the virus has been 'circling the drain' for me. Started with contacts of contacts of contacts, then to contacts of contacts but not yet to contacts.

I think most of us will end up getting it at one point, no matter what we do. We can only control our actions, not the actions of others.

I'm definitely starting to hear of more and more people impacted either directly or indirectly by it this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm definitely starting to hear of more and more people impacted either directly or indirectly by it this time round.

It's like those battle royale type games. The playing space gets smaller and smaller over time. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

froog wrote: »
    absolute disgrace. and they were some of the loudest shouting about how GAA matches were zero risk and how terribly unfair the crowd restrictions were at matches and of course no one ever saw any groups of people close by at matches or after etc etc

To be fair, the matches themselves are still of little risk, it's the hijinks afterwards that seem to be causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Is anyone in Ireland sequencing the genome(s) of the Covid-19 strain(s) which is/are causing the present second wave ?

It should be possible to determine where the majority of the virus has come from... since the government has squandered the single figure incidence we had achieved in June. It's no good telling us that 'domestic spread' is responsible for the increase in cases. The virus does not drop out of the light fittings... someone brought it into the house.

Likewise... many people probably brought it back into Ireland. Was it Hank from Dallas, Alexandru from Romania, Billy from Portadown or George from Chipping Norton ?

We need to learn from this present early exponential omnishambles, in order to prevent exactly the same thing from happening again.

A good recent article on the uses of Covid-19 genomic epidemiology from the Washington Post.

https://www.teagasc.ie/food/research-and-innovation/research-areas/food-bioscience/irish-coronavirus-sequencing-consortium/

Scan down the page for a link to a webinar they did oct 7th. I normally use nextstrain.org
    but cant check at moment too data heavy for my mobile.

siblers wrote: »
    Was meant to be having minor surgery today.

Covid tested Monday, negative result yesterday and was isolating since I took the test till I got to the hospital this morning

Had a temperature reading of 38.1 at the hospital. They took 6 more and all were in the 36 region. Surgery cancelled as the one reading was too high even though they believed it was a false reading

Have to isolate again now, get Covid tested tomorrow and isolate till I get the result.

It's very annoying and quite stressful too

I hope negative again

Were all 6 tests negative?

Nope, I don't believe we are. Philip Nolan mentioned it on RTE radio while being questioned regarding his comments on the extent of Irelands tracing programme when he sought to educate the nation on how household infection data was being 'misrepresented".

Resourcing issue he explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are we looking at 1300+ cases today then?

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-netherlands-closes-restaurants-and-bars-in-new-partial-lockdown-1.4380916

Talk about a sign of things to come here. If an intelligent lockdown doesn't work, a stupid one is the only option.

The die has already been cast for us. There's 1200 cases in NI and 1300 positive swabs here today. 2500 more people who are now testing positive as being infected with this virus. If all those people infected just two people, in a week there'll be 5000 more people with asymptomatic or asymptomatic covid walking around this island. We're not catching even close to all of the cases and transmission is now widespread in 1/3 of secondary schools and approaching 10% of primary schools with no contact tracing happening.

That is plainly unsustainable. SAGE gave the advice that the two most meaningful changes to be made to stem transmission are for everyone to work from home and for schools to be closed.

sage-mitigations.png?resize=1024%2C315&ssl=1

Source: https://skwawkbox.org/2020/10/14/explosive-sage-chart-shows-government-fully-aware-closing-pubs-and-not-schools-will-have-minimal-impact-on-second-wave/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Gael23 wrote: »

Was it the end of October that they predicted that number per day?

7,500 at the match in Helsinki

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is there a NPHET briefing this evening as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Gael23 wrote: »

Hard to know but with that swab number, you'd be assuming 1000+ cases get announced. Could max up to 1500 I guess if there's a backlog and all the swabs today get announced.

So, who knows I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Very level headed comment, fairplay.

But it is hard to be rationale with the mob I'm afraid.

Very true. The mob mentality may explain some of the post match shenanigans, no reasoning with that. It's easier to just say "what could we have done, how were we to know" :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/richardtgarland/status/1308477475547222018?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is there a NPHET meeting this evening as usual?

They normally meet on Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They normally meet on Thursdays.

Sorry meant briefing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Very true. The mob mentality may explain some of the post match shenanigans, no reasoning with that. It's easier to just say "what could we have done, how were we to know" :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/richardtgarland/status/1308477475547222018?s=20

keep people locked up - give em an outlet and .............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement