Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

HeyV wrote: »
    And what do you advise? Just leave them at it?

Nah, give AGS the tools necessary to do their job. The army have no civilian policing skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Ger Roe wrote: »
    "Underlying issues does not make their deaths ok. My daughter was in hospital & has underlying issues! She was 12 & it took her 3 weeks to get better.
    I cringe when I see people asking if these unfortunate people had other health issues. Their lives are just as valuable as those without underlying issues" (Knine)

Agreed. Lots of people have underlying issues. That doesn't mean that they are already at death's door. People with underlying issues are managing them every day in their otherwise normal lives. They are all around you and you don't need to know anything about it.

Why should they be dismissed as an acceptable casualty of Covid?

It has been estimated that around 30% of the population have underlying issues which make them more vulnerable to the ravages of Covid.

I cannot understand the mental gymnastics employed by the flubros and the minimizers... when they show (?)real concern for the mental health issues and at the same time don't give a sh1t about the inevitable deaths which increases in covid will cause.

NOBODY should be dismissed as an acceptable casualty in their sick unethical sociopathic yearning for herd immunity by infecting the majority of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

No idea what going up in Dublin, but in the biggest population center of our county, buskers are back and no problem They stay in ones or twos. Have hygienic procedures for donations. Busk in front of shops that closed down due to the spring lockdown. And leave if the place is getting buzy. Nice to listen to if sitting outside a restaurant or pub. They have families to feed and bills to pay.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be good to know if they had underlying issues so people with similar underlying conditions would know they are of a higher risk and take extra precautions. Nobody said their deaths were ok, but its important to know who is more at risk and what age groups are more at risk.

It's known that obseity is a major factor in how bad one might suffer from Covid. Alot of muffin stuffers should drop the fork and go for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought 15 for outdoor dining was the max

It is, but what law is being broken by people who are outside on a street?

Is it clever behaviour? Probably not. Should we bring in the army to deal with it? Obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,218 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

For what??

No law bring broken there for the Gardai to action. Not sure what you want them to do.
    Is this for real? And Pearse Street Garda station one side of Grafton Street, and Kevin Street on the other. In this case, a squad car showing up would’ve been enough to disperse the crowd. Fair enough, they can’t enter homes to break up parties or gatherings, but they can put a stop to the likes of this.
    Would it not be classed as a gathering?

To break up a large gathering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Strumms wrote: »
    We’ll have a vaccine a lot faster than you’ll plan, tender, ready a site, build, and equip a hospital

That’s not the point. The point is what is the cost of a hospital v the cost of the life support for the economy. That is only a narrow cost. We are not even near capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It's known that obseity is a major factor in how bad one might suffer from Covid. Alot of muffin stuffers should drop the fork and go for a walk

Par for the course there Plumb, keep it classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Par for the course there Plumb, keep it classy.

He is right though but how dare we mention it.

'bring in the army' ffs.

I'm serious, break up large on street gatherings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

For what??

No law bring broken there for the Gardai to action. Not sure what you want them to do.

come on now........As you well know what is going on in the world, people are being asked to reduce their contacts with other people, the video clearly shows people getting too close, either you are an idiot or you are an ignorant idiot.. Either way you are an idiot..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

speckle wrote: »
    No idea what going up in Dublin, but in the biggest population center of our county, buskers are back and no problem They stay in ones or twos. Have hygienic procedures for donations. Busk in front of shops that closed down due to the spring lockdown. And leave if the place is getting buzy. Nice to listen to if sitting outside a restaurant or pub. They have families to feed and bills to pay.

Fair enough, but in Dublin, they attract a non socially distant, non mask wearing load of partying young wans. Who spread it everywhere. Feck them. Sorry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

That's why a lot of people were surprised at Trump's recovery given his carriage and love of an oul Big Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Cases are not high in schools

Can we stop this utterly nonsensical narrative that schools are to blame

It’s as bad as ‘house parties’

"Cases not high" doesn't mean "no transmission". We are talking about hubs of transmission, not cases in hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Polar101 wrote: »

Is it clever behaviour? Probably not. Should we bring in the army to deal with it? Obviously not.

There should be security out there in day glow ensuring that people keep to distancing on the street, like they did at Body & Soul festival 2015 when the pathways got too cluttered, they ensured that there was a flow of people at each end and that there wasn't a crush.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Fair enough, but in Dublin, they attract a non socially distant, non mask wearing load of partying young wans. Who spread it everywhere. Feck them. Sorry now.

Most of the sure it's only the flu, let me go to the pub folks on here are culchies in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Most of the sure it's only the flu, let me go to the pub folks on here are culchies in fairness.

Wha??

I also thought Dublin pubs were closed for level 3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    To break up a large gathering

No legal basis.

Whatever the outrage there's nothing Gardai can do except ask people to move on if they're breaching public order acts which they aren't in that video.

I dislike it as much as you but their hands are tied

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Jizique wrote: »
    Medics are always looking for more money, more resources - the black hole of Calcutta.
    That Father Sean Healy should become their representative, he is usually the one with the hand out constantly.

Nasty post .
    That priest is all about Combat Poverty .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

maybe day time busking then? And buskers just stop playing if more than 15 people nearby. Saw one with a sign reminding people to sd. and another between songs online reminding people.

Watched a really good group play once and they would just stop mid song if people acting the maggot or hassling for example a woman who didnt want to dance or pogoing it to much in the venue which was small. Just some ideas there maybe dublin needs more?

Wha??

Or living in Dublin and complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    come on now........As you well know what is going on in the world, people are being asked to reduce their contacts with other people, the video clearly shows people getting too close, either you are an idiot or you are an ignorant idiot.. Either way you are an idiot..

Sorry are you calling me an idiot ? Would appreciate if you could retract that remark if so, completely unwarranted.

I dont agree with large gatherings, if you've been around this thread long enough you'll know that.

I'm pointing out that the Gardai as it stands today can't break up people standing in the street under any covid related legislation, social distancing isn't a penal provision. Most of what we're being asked to do has no legal footing.

Like it or not that's the current state of play, we can get enraged all we want and call for Gardai to do something but their hands are tied

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Knine wrote: »
    Underlying issues does not make their deaths ok. My daughter was in hospital & has underlying issues! She was 12 & it took her 3 weeks to get better.

I cringe when I see people asking if these unfortunate people had other health issues. Their lives are just as valuable as those without underlying issues

And that post was thanked by 3 people who have been on here going on about jobs, mental health issues and disability cuts .
    Just shows all just bs from these.
    Disappointing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Nah, give AGS the tools necessary to do their job. The army have no civilian policing skills.

You haven't seen them policing in South Lebanon or on many other of the UN missions that Ireland has taken part in. Their diplomacy and people skills are highly regarded internationally and this has made them the first choice to carry out missions in some of the toughest UN mission areas.

It's only at home that they are generally not well respected for the work that they do. Unfortunately, and mainly because most people don't know what they do on the world stage, on their behalf.

But let's not go off on an army debate tangent, they would be more than capable of aiding the civil power, if requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

My mother is of a similar age, and she wouldn't know how to order anything online either.

Wouldn't agree with views such as "elderly people don't know how to use computers" at all, though.

A lot of the now elderly are missing out on the visits home from emigrated children who would come regularly and keep their computers up to speed, help them with the Smart phones etc. Since Covid started in March, many have not come home either because of travel restrictions or because they don't want to risk the older person's health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I wish I had two wives, maybe then I'd be lithe and fit with a perfect BMI; much better able to mount that incredibly high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Hahhahahahha

You haven't seen them policing in South Lebanon or on many other of the UN missions that Ireland has taken part in. Their diplomacy and people skills are highly regarded internationally and this has made them the first choice to carry out missions in some of the toughest UN mission areas.

It's only at home that they are generally not well respected for the work that they do. Unfortunately, and mainly because most people don't know what they do on the world stage, on their behalf.

But let's not go off on an army debate tangent, they would be more than capable of aiding the civil power, if requested.

They are not trained or invested with powers to police the civilian population. As you say no need to go off on a tangent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Is there evidence schools are a large driver of the cases?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement