Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HeyV wrote: »
    That shouldn’t be the case Stephen though. A poster here last night posted about a party in their estate and was told no point in ringing the guards because there’s nothing they can do. This has to fcuking change, the Gardaí should absolutely be allowed to show up at these and break them up.
    And the excuses shown here that ‘people are trying to have a normal life’ is sh1te... I’d say half of these parties or more are being held just because they can and get away with it in defiance to guidelines.
    I saw that post last night,
    Unfortunately Gardai can't enter a private home in that circumstance without a warrant, its a constitutional issue, hence the issue surrounding house parties. They can park up and sit outside and make things uncomfortable but does it do any good ? I doubt it.

What the solution is I dont know but at the moment that's the state of play.

Like I said we can get ourselves worked up and vent about it but it is what it is at the moment.

Ah no you are right, it's the culchies for sure, licking the county GAA silverware and going hoop ya boyo after the match and then going full on mental. With due respect to those actually suffering from mental illness, of course.

Would never happen in Dublin, far too compliant ;)

We have been holding onto the silverware for the last few years alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I don’t give this government or the establishment in Ireland credit for much but I must give them credit for this absolute master stroke they have achieved in pitting everyone against each other with blame while the disaster of a health service goes unmentioned. And this will do on, wait until the 6 weeks at level 5 are over and we’re still at high numbers, the blame will be on us again, and not the fact that this is Illness is seasonal and cannot be properly tested for using pcr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

s1ippy wrote: »
    There isn't testing of close contacts happening in schools, so it's impossible to know the real situation. Many parents sending children for tests are those whose children have asthma and thus a cough. This explains the large number of negative swabs in children.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/600905740607906?multi_permalinks=636800987018381%2C636787830353030%2C636787110353102%2C636764433688703%2C636751693689977&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1602850870189891&ref=m_notif

There's a tonne of cases going up on this page every day. There are least eight schools closed until after the midterm around the country due to outbreaks.

Impossible to tell? Take at look at the ONS data in the UK - a randomised sample and therefore a great set of data. Infection rates in primary school children have barely increased since schools returned. The infection rate is far lower than e.g. young adults. It's great data. A pity we don't have the same random sample here, but zero reason to believe it would be any different in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

khalessi wrote: »
    I think the objection is to how you phrased it. It is almost like you are looking for a reaction, interesting.

Thought people were against sugar coating stuff here?
    If you think my comment was objectionable I would suggest you are very selective in what you find interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Goldengirl wrote: »
    And that post was thanked by 3 people who have been on here going on about jobs, mental health issues and disability cuts .
    Just shows all just bs from these.
    Disappointing .

And i am one if them golden girl... with underlying issues and high risk do you not think peoole like me and other want that information so we can judge risks?. Or do you not think about that we bl**dy well know if there is an economic reccession or deprression we will get hit first like last time and some of us will die then instead.

We may be high risk but not as stupid as some of the snide posts and posters I see on here trying in an around about way be personal without getting bannned.

People with disabilities can disagree with the governemnt/nephet and the pro or anti lockdown groups and your or my own posts.

Maybe some of us know what the real damage of say for example mental ill health leads to and want to make sure restrictions are not worse then the disease. Thought medics learnt something similiar?
    So all I amm saying dont jump to conclusions, read all my posts

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

I saw that post last night,
    Unfortunately Gardai can't enter a private home in that circumstance without a warrant, its a constitutional issue, hence the issue surrounding house parties. They can park up and sit outside and make things uncomfortable but does it do any good ? I doubt it.

What the solution is I dont know but at the moment that's the state of play.

Like I said we can get ourselves worked up and vent about it but it is what it is at the moment.

Well it needs to change Stephen. I’m as sick of it as everyone else. Hope some enforcement goes along with whatever is announced, otherwise we are pissing in the wind trying to get anywhere with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Impossible to tell? Take at look at the ONS data in the UK - a randomised sample and therefore a great set of data. Infection rates in primary school children have barely increased since schools returned. The infection rate is far lower than e.g. young adults. It's great data. A pity we don't have the same random sample here, but zero reason to believe it would be any different in Ireland.
    Secondary school is a different can of worms entirely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

HeyV wrote: »
    What?

Sorry it was a reference to people constantly trotting out that line about mental health, when in fact most of them just want an excuse to party. At one point some people were claiming that we could lose more people to suicide because of covid than covid itself because we would be so upset at being locked down that we'd start killing ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,689 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nah, give AGS the tools necessary to do their job. The army have no civilian policing skills.

This is incorrect.
    The army have been involved in civil policing through floods and any UN service is mainly civil policing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just heard of another creche that has to close over positive case, they have to start to consider schools at some stage for closure with rising numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

s1ippy wrote: »
    Secondary school is a different can of worms entirely though.

It is slightly different, I agree (albeit still far lower infection rates than young adults). There is more scope for a mixed virtual/physical learning model at secondary level though I'm dubious that it would make much difference to infection rates. The kids, teenagers, would likely spend time together outside of school (rules or no rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

DubInMeath wrote: »
    We have been holding onto the silverware for the last few years alright.

Might be a year without it, but yep, the Dubs are great in fairness. Who would have thought that a non culchie county would do so well. Driving all the boggers mad.

I have a pic of my little nephew (pre Covid of course) sitting inside of Sam. Those were the happy days. The Dub manager Jim Gavin was behind all that. from Clondalkin and brought the cup to all the schools in the vicinity and as far away as the Dublin Border lol. Was mighty for the kids. But don't know how it will go now. The eldest nephew is hurling mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Thought people were against sugar coating stuff here?
    If you think my comment was objectionable I would suggest you are very selective in what you find interesting.

It wasnt me that was objecting, I can't help how you were raised. I was merely explaining reason for the other reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Might be a year without it, but yep, the Dubs are great in fairness. Who would have thought that a non culchie county would do so well. Driving all the boggers mad.

I have a pic of my little nephew (pre Covid of course) sitting inside of Sam. Those were the happy days. The Dub manager Jim Gavin was behind all that. from Clondalkin and brought the cup to all the schools in the vicinity and as far away as the Dublin Border lol. Was mighty for the kids. But don't know how it will go now. The eldest nephew is hurling mad.

Thankfully when the economy crashes the Dubs won’t be able to afford any more Sam Maguire’s and we won’t need listen to this nonsense.

Every cloud and all that

It wasnt me that was objecting, I can't help how you were raised. I was merely explaining reason for the other reaction.

'i can't help how you were raised' ? You don't know me so prehaps keep your insults about my parents to yourself. Hopefully you have better manners in the classroom.

Going to be interesting here tomorrow when the decision is made. :eek:

But for now let's pretend all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So large gatherings the problem according to authorities.

Why not keep pubs/restaurants open to max of 2 per table (at least couples or 2 friends could go) without big crowds.

And why close normal retail where crowds are not a problem.

I don't care about the "schools transmitting or not" subject, but if they are going to allow schools open for whatever reason, they should have a bit of logical thinking before flatly closing business down, and allow for some scope for safe operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Balagan1

I'm a few stone overweight and take no offence at what you're saying .you're absolutely right.

It's my biggest failing in life probably, and the embarrassment of being "larger" and the knowledge I'm asking for trouble hasn't spurred me into action to change it. It's more than just being lazy for some. I walk my two dogs a few miles twice most days, unfortunately I just binge eat frequently as well.

I let myself down most days, and that embeds a darkness in my mind more each day.

Some day maybe I'll overcome it, but it's a psychological issue.

I wouldn't worry too much about a few stone and obviously with the walking miles each day with the dogs you are in pretty good nick, otherwise you couldn't do that. We're all working on some aspect of ourselves, except for some of the completely perfected beings posting here!

theballz wrote: »
    Hahhahahahha

Yes . Easy to get a laugh with facile asinine comments like that .

• Advertisement

Thankfully when the economy crashes the Dubs won’t be able to afford any more Sam Maguire’s and we won’t need listen to this nonsense.

Every cloud and all that

Ah never. Dubs are the best even if they don't win. Far too many supporters in the old pre Covid days in Croker. But look, let's just try and live in harmony for now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

They are not trained or invested with powers to police the civilian population. As you say no need to go off on a tangent.

Well its called "Aid to the civil power". Not "act as" or "substitute as" the civil power.

I think the argument would be that the Defence Forces can assist AGs with routine checkpoints and patrols. AGS are always in operational control of both, the DF would just be supplementary bodies for numbers allowing increased operational capabilities if it came to it.

They are trained to handle most situations in fairness, patrolling, checkpoints, cordons, searches, crowd riot control etc. They wouldnt be out checking tax or breathalising....although Military Police are trained with all that stuff.

Antares35 wrote: »
    My dad is 74. He got locked down in Spain for the worst of it and couldn't get home. He learned to do his shopping online, managed to order flowers to be delivered to me when I had the baby, he joined the library and downloaded some books for himself, went online and applied for his airfare refund, set up PayPal and used his pension to pay for things that way, and even managed a few zoom calls with family :D This is a man who before the pandemic used to ask me to book his flights.

So one positive from all of this ;)

Seen more than one joke about covid being released by someone from Kerry to prevent the six in a row, or by someone from Mayo so they might have a chance.
    Still have a picture of me with the cup from the 80s when it was brought to my primary school in north county Dublin, brought it with me anywhere I've lived, wouldn't part with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

'i can't help how you were raised' ? You don't know me so prehaps keep your insults about my parents to yourself. Hopefully you have better manners in the classroom.

Hold on I thought you said we dont sugar coat here, hmm doles it out cant take it, interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Going to be interesting here tomorrow when the decision is made. :eek:

But for now let's pretend all is well.

It'll a moment to sit back, get the popcorn and watch all the mayhem unfold in here haha

Well its called "Aid to the civil power". Not "act as" or "substitute as" the civil power.

I think the argument would be that the Defence Forces can assist AGs with routine checkpoints and patrols. AGS are always in operational control of both, the DF would just be supplementary bodies for numbers allowing increased operational capabilities if it came to it.

They are trained to handle most situations in fairness, patrolling, checkpoints, cordons, searches, crowd riot control etc. They wouldnt be out checking tax or breathalising....although Military Police are trained with all that stuff.

They are not attested, so you may as well have the girl guides accompanying AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Russman wrote: »
    This is all very simple,

Ask yourself how many people do you mind dying so you can pay your bills ? And then, how many people do you mind losing their jobs so you can stay safe ?
    Then find the mid point.

It's a pandemic thankfully where few will die but nonetheless people will die. In the grand scheme of things we are just a number and many seem to have a problem accepting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Hold on I thought you said we dont sugar coat here, hmm doles it out cant take it, interesting

An interesting little man for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Why not keep pubs/restaurants open to max of 2 per table (at least couples or 2 friends could go) without big crowds.

Yeah, thats goddamn important for me. Can't live without it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement