Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Are the government making an announcement tonight?

No. Cabinet meeting tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭FrogmanBegins

There must be an appetite among people in safe jobs to pay a Covid 5% tax in order to give more to those made unemployed.

Guaranteed all the lads calling for a lockdown after lockdown will spend the next decade giving about tax increases and all the people drawing the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

People on here calling for the army would wanna get their heads checked ffs.
    Take a second and read what you’re saying and think about it before posting such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

flanna01 wrote: »

Simple - Logical answer: Protect the elderly, the infirm and the vulnerable..... Be damned to the rest of us. We know the safety guidelines, we know what protective measures are required, we know how to protect ourselves...

Here is where your logic fails. If the 'damned rest' just get on with it and fall ill, they will need care, taking up the beds and other facilities that the protected vulnerable might require anyway, because of their specific conditions. Hospitals can not function with high levels of covid in the buildings, regardless of what age the actual covid patients are. If young medical staff themselves need care, who looks after the other patients?

Selective protection will not work. Everyone is vulnerable to some degree and once the numbers spiral so will the demand on health services and we are back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

spookwoman wrote: »
    Whole section of it in the Statute Books

Power of Defence Forces to arrest and search in certain circumstances.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1976/act/32/section/15/enacted/en/html

thanks I was looking for that ...read the consititution last night all I could see was arrest in times of war or their own guys and gals in peace time and something about treason. Forgot that michael D is their supreme commander:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Does anybody have this horrible negative feeling that level 4 wont work either? A lot of schools seem to be having covid cases now and I work in gov office which will remain open, we see so many people every week and they come out with their children, parents, grandparents etc to do their business....they will still come as they are entitled to. I just think it will drag on and the economy will just tank anyways because people will just be too cautious. I live beside a very prominent GAA family, the father founding member, they are very respected family. party in their house friday night. I reckon the sons dont care because they are prominent club players they probably being tested all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,475 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Simple - Logical answer: Protect the elderly, the infirm and the vulnerable..... Be damned to the rest of us. We know the safety guidelines, we know what protective measures are required, we know how to protect ourselves...
    If you drink a drink a bottle of scotch, and then drive at speed.... Who you gonna blame when you crash??
    A little personal responsibility here guys...

You can't protect the vulnerable if the virus is running wild in the rest of society.
    The vulnerable are 30% of the population. They don't exist in a sterile bubble.
    They need care, medical appointments, they might have kids in school, they might be in a muli-generational household.
    It's not a practical policy, it's a slogan.

If you drink a bottle of scotch and drive at speed and crash into another vehicle or knock down a pedestrian... where was their personal responsibility?
    What are they supposed to do? Stay off the roads at a time when they are likely to be drink drivers?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Take a second and read what you’re saying and think about it before posting such nonsense.

It's not difficult to see how the US have ended up in the mess they're in right now. Desperation makes people do strange and awful things.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

khalessi wrote: »
    It wasnt me that was objecting, I can't help how you were raised. I was merely explaining reason for the other reaction.
    'i can't help how you were raised' ? You don't know me so prehaps keep your insults about my parents to yourself. Hopefully you have better manners in the classroom.

Drop it the pair of you - get back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Anybody calling for that should be mocked to the last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I will be honest. If I thought a zero Covid strategy was possible I would go for it. 3 months full lock down and we kill the virus then yes. Let’s go for it.

- Can we do it if the North does not do it?
    - what happens if the rest of Europe does not?
    - what happens after that? Do we keep the borders shut?
    - will such an approach impact in our MNE and export business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It's quite simple soldiers have no legal powers to direct members of the public. I'm well aware of what 'aid to the civil power' means. As I said the girl guides would be as effective and have exactly the same policing power as a soldier.

The girl guides would probably have more manners anyway if their antics around these parts when the last were " aid to civil power" are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Seen more than one joke about covid being released by someone from Kerry to prevent the six in a row, or by someone from Mayo so they might have a chance.
    Still have a picture of me with the cup from the 80s when it was brought to my primary school in north county Dublin, brought it with me anywhere I've lived, wouldn't part with it.

Was it John O'Leary doing the heavy lifting? I reckon I would have been sitting in that cup a day or so either side of your moment of glory! Possibly even the very same day!

I sleep easy knowing that it took a global pandemic to stop the six.
    Up the Dubs! Hashtag-forever-kings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Out for a walk tonight, saw 7 or 8 lads walking down the street with loadza beers. Don't really have much to say on it, but Govt. naive if they think closing down non essential retail and hotels is the solution. Really naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hope the Cabinet have a sleepless night. Sorry now. They wasted the Summer hiatus and now we are approaching Winter are getting very twitchy about capacity in the hospitals. Idiots. Where is Paul Reid our HSE saviour? No, the Unions rule the roost and it was ever thus. He is on a hiding to nothing. Just like EVERY single CEO of the HSE before him. But he's getting a humgungous salary for not facing them down, so that's ok I suppose lol.

Meanwhile we have Nphet on the other side mostly made up of lifers in the CS, medical side, and HSE who say shut everything down.

Now if they do shut everything down with some reason, all the decision makers for this should accept the Covid payment for a week or two or ,more, in solidarity. But they won't. They see the WFH Civil Servants on full pay, and the other IFSC etc. cohort the same.

Solidarity needs to be with those on the precipice of existing or living some kind of life now who cannot do what they can do on full salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Anybody calling for that should be mocked to the last.

Likewise anyone calling for Christmas to be cancelled. I know it's going to be a different Christmas but have to try make it as normal as possible for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Sunday evening , kids finally in bed, few hours chill in front of tv with newspaper and a can, .....what are the government or nphet leakers gonna drop for the 9 o clock news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I see Niall Boylan causing divisions (better for his show) that it is the public servants and unions who are the one championing this.

I certainly hope there is no Level 4 or 5 as we can not afford it. I can see powers coming in for gardai and maybe mandatory those who can work from home will have to. They need to make sure that hospital appointment keep going with the private hospitals been used to help if there is a deal with them

Hopefully they’ll actually just enforce level 3 without crippling the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Report my post for what exactly? I didn't get personal with anyone my comment was a follow on from a post by another poster. I didn't question anyone's upbringing casting a slur on their parents.

There is a difference between posting about a group of society that is at risk and posting to upset and to shame people , and worse of all to do that for laughs at someone vulnerable's expense .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

US2 wrote: »
    Likewise anyone calling for Christmas to be cancelled. I know it's going to be a different Christmas but have to try make it as normal as possible for kids

No one can cancel Christmas... it is what you make of it. It may be different this year though, but it just might require a bit more effort to make the magic happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I was thinking about it and, I think im gonna dub tomorrow "Day 0" or something. "The day we see what is gonna be dropped by the govt."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Renjit wrote: »
    Yeah, thats goddamn important for me. Can't live without it.

I hear ya Renjit. Sooner the better the pubs open, thanks for your support!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Still think this is over kill...

It's the young bucks that don't really seem to care too much about social distancing and all that jazz...

They get a lash of the Kung Flu, and spend the next fortnight scratching their sacks and feeling sorry for themselves.

The handful of deaths a day, though tragic and regretted, are not that uncommon in the bigger picture of things..

People pop their socks everyday... The young, the old, the brave and the bold... It happens like!

How many cancer victims have now gone undetected? How many more critical surgeries have been put on the long finger...?

The vulnerable know who they are.. The elderly know who they are.. The forty majors a day merchants know who they are...

Driving home this evening from my 'essential employee' workplace, I passed numerous gatherings of youths without face coverings or any form of Covid ettiquette... There was even a couple shifting...(Young love....)

Ok, so these morons are not bothered about the Kung flu, the statistics state they will hardly notice if they get it anyway..

But what about the parents of these Gobshytes?? Where do they think their little angels are on a cold, wintery October evening...? The parents of these dregs of society, are the first one's too be calling the Gubberment this, that and the other.. And we wonder why level 3 is a complete waste of time... And it is to.

No more talk of lockdown.. It's futile. It's as ridiculous as suggesting we stop the economy again.

Do people still not get it....?? We lock down for six weeks, we emerge as warriors with lockdown medals, and proceed to do the dog on it for the next two weeks... Akin to a home coming after a long six week battle..

And the numbers go up again...

What now? Can't really do much until after Christmas anyway.. Might as well get totally polluted between now and then, bit of a session before we go for the hatrick..

It's a vicious circle. And like a perfect circle, it has no beginning and has no end.

If you drink a drink a bottle of scotch, and then drive at speed.... Who you gonna blame when you crash??

A little personal responsibility here guys...

Do you know how many people that is.
    Do you know there age range.
    How are we going to make sure while we shield these people away we pay for them as they have bills to pay.
    How do we make sure that everyone who is protecting these people are not infected. How do we protect them.
    You do know that this Kung flu (not a flu) is infectious and can be spread easily it is why we ask people to do simple things to protect everyone.
    Finally how do you suggest with help the mental health of those we are shielding

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Part of the job of the army is to assist the civil authority during times of crisis.

I think this is a time of crisis. They should be supplementing garda at checkpoints for operation fanacht type operations to free up Gardai for enforcement measures that should be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Seriously , have seen the army out for less .
    Maybe you just haven't seen that yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Sunday evening , kids finally in bed, few hours chill in front of tv with newspaper and a can, .....what are the government or nphet leakers gonna drop for the 9 o clock news!!

Simon Harris said level 3 clearly didnt work. Move to higher restrictions, probably 4, which in my humble opinion, not a scientist or anything wont work either.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Seriously , have seen the army out for less .
    Maybe you just haven't seen that yet ?

Helping out during floods is hardly comparable to wanting the army out to enforce law and order. Behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Will barbers be closed again then on level 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

George Lee to appear on 9 o'clock news in gimp suit and ball gag.
    Level 5 surrender incoming.

• Advertisement

Will barbers be closed again then on level 4?

Yep and beauticians etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement