Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

Not a sound from China at all. How come they have gotten over the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,689 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Anybody calling for that should be mocked to the last.

So you don't think you should try to debate the issue , just mock a poster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

I'm still surprised that people still don't understand. For every 1000 cases 5 will need an extended stay in an ICU bed. That's 40 ICU beds a week if the numbers of cases remain stable and they're likely to increase let's face it.

That's 40 per beds per week not available for all sorts of other reasons, illnesses, post op recovery etc. Every week (most likely more).

So in addition to the Covid deaths you have the deaths resulting indirectly from huge pressure on the health system. In the US it was estimated this week that there have been 75000 deaths indirectly linked to Covid, since February.

So, I mean, it's obvious what this means. It's a very bad thing to let this thing get out of control. There will be lots of 'other deaths'.

You might as well be talking to the wall, if I hear one more time about cancer deaths. Can people not understand it or get it, if there are too many covid patients in a hospital needing treatment, that means people who are having strokes, heart attacks, may not the care they need. When you are bad with covid in hospital it takes a huge amount of resources to keep you alive. Jane mac what is wrong with people that they cant understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I am behaved . Have nothing to fear , but thanks anyway !
    This is when we need them, I now agree with those posters who have called for it .
    Other countries have their armies out enforcing curfews etc.

Other than France (some cities), which other countries in Europe currently have curfews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm fairly relaxed about things but I was really surprised at the gangs of youths buying alcohol in Tesco last night. One girl was carrying about 7 or 8 bags of ice with the next carrying loads of vodka bottles. Some major parties happened last night.

Yup one right across the road from me. 30-40 people at a 21st until 4am when the Gardai finally arrived and stopped it on noise control issue. Spoke to another neighbour today who rang them 3 times between 11am and 2am before they gave in and went asleep. Young one who was 21 works in a centre for adults with disabilities also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Because the virus recognises they are

60488424.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Seems like life is more or less back to normal for them: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-china-back-to-normal-us-europe-struggle-2020-10%3famp

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I am behaved . Have nothing to fear , but thanks anyway !
    This is when we need them, I now agree with those posters who have called for it .

The army are doing testing and being brought back in for contact tracing.

Apart from that you wont see them on the street. I remember seeing an interview from the Garda commissioner and he was asked a question suggesting army be used to assist Gardai and he basically said no thats not needed nor would it be requested. Will see if I can try and find it

I hope the Cabinet have a sleepless night. Sorry now. They wasted the Summer hiatus and now we are approaching Winter are getting very twitchy about capacity in the hospitals. Idiots. Where is Paul Reid our HSE saviour? No, the Unions rule the roost and it was ever thus. He is on a hiding to nothing. Just like EVERY single CEO of the HSE before him. But he's getting a humgungous salary for not facing them down, so that's ok I suppose lol.

Meanwhile we have Nphet on the other side mostly made up of lifers in the CS, medical side, and HSE who say shut everything down.

Now if they do shut everything down with some reason, all the decision makers for this should accept the Covid payment for a week or two or ,more, in solidarity. But they won't. They see the WFH Civil Servants on full pay, and the other IFSC etc. cohort the same.

Solidarity needs to be with those on the precipice of existing or living some kind of life now who cannot do what they can do on full salary.

Why do you always resort to that same sxxx about the unions ?
    I agree with everything else you are saying , just not that.
    Unions have nothing to do with this crisis , and have been supportive throughout .
    I would appreciate if you would either provide proof of what you are saying in this regard or get off that particular soapbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭spookwoman

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Other than France (some cities), which other countries in Europe currently have curfews?
    Belgium
    https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-belgium-brussels-europe-3c86f3d021b3c855893c058316722dcf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The problem now is those who transmit this. I don't need to spell it out.

The vast majority are abiding by the rules. But those who don't need to be tackled big time.

Schools is one, and full marks to the teachers and SNA's going into the pit every day. But it is more than that.

The new rules will really only impact those who have been observing all along really, since there is no enforcement for those who don't or won't. And a school positive test is saying there is no need for anyone else to isolate or be tested. Talk about a snow job!

Am I right here or over reacting?

spookwoman wrote: »

Currently? Starts next week and no mention of being enforced by the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You can't protect the vulnerable if the virus is running wild in the rest of society.
    The vulnerable are 30% of the population. They don't exist in a sterile bubble.

What defines vulnerable?

Using the stat of 30% of the population are vulnerable.

Ireland has had about 50k confirmed cases across the population

Using the stat of vulnerable at 30% is about 16k cases.

Taking out approx 2k deaths, did 14000 require hospital treatment?

Also remember the WHO believe up to 10 times the official number have actually been infected, hence why the CFR in Ireland is over 3.5% since March, but much less for the last 3 months.

Dr Colm Henry from the HSE said this week 80% of those presently testing positive have mild symptoms or are asymptotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,632 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

People on here calling for the army would wanna get their heads checked ffs.
    Take a second and read what you’re saying and think about it before posting such nonsense.

Why if it will help the Gardai and break up large gatherings and parties, lockdown restrictions are not working as no reinforcement, the government can put us any level but without more powers given to the Gardai and army if needed nothing will change, we need again to flatten the curve, get numbers down and if I need my head checked for that so be it, you can call me what you want but time has come to get strict and tough so why not bring in the army

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Hopefully they’ll actually just enforce level 3 without crippling the economy

It will be more the Level 3. They will not call it Level 4 or 5. They will make it mandatory for work from home or majority at home. Also new powers for gardai As I said in another post it is also critical they let hospital appointments to continue

The problem now is those who transmit this. I don't need to spell it out.

The vast majority are abiding by the rules. But those who don't need to be tackled big time.

Schools is one, and full marks to the teachers and SNA's going into the pit every day. But it is more than that.

The new rules will really only impact those who have been observing all along really, since there is no enforcement for those who don't or won't. And a school positive test is saying there is no need for anyone else to isolate or be tested. Talk about a snow job!

Am I right here or over reacting?

If the vast majority were abiding by the rules it wouldn't be spreading to the extent it is. I would say the vast majority are abiding by most of the rules. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be sufficient right now.

There are still groups of 10+ meeting up for their Sunday morning bike ride, others standing to chat outside the supermarket, teenagers crowding around mobile phones after school, people sharing lifts to work with no masks, I could go on and on.

France , Spain and Italy have all had their armies out , for curfews, ensuring roadblocks and daily exercising within limits. Belgium also.
    Interested that you changed my post to limit my answer to EUROPEAN countries and just curfews , lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't understand how the government can go into Level 4 or 5 lockdown but allow schools to stay open with hundreds of children mingling and vrinig the virus back to the homes that are trying there best to isolate from others,

It's like pissing into the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Yup one right across the road from me. 30-40 people at a 21st until 4am when the Gardai finally arrived and stopped it on noise control issue. Spoke to another neighbour today who rang them 3 times between 11am and 2am before they gave in and went asleep. Young one who was 21 works in a centre for adults with disabilities also.

I wonder will it get to the stage where a brick through the window is the only thing that will put a stop to their parties . Literally what is the point of everyone else staying home when house parties are rampant and the guards aren’t given the powers to break them up, it’s infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why do you always resort to that same sxxx about the unions ?
    I agree with everything else you are saying , just not that.
    Unions have nothing to do with this crisis , and have been supportive throughout .
    I would appreciate if you would either provide proof of what you are saying in this regard or get off that particular soapbox.

Ah come on now. The Unions will not allow 24/7 operations apart from emergencies. There are thousands of clerical backup staff now when few are attending outpatients or treatment. Doubt any of them are on PUP.

The INMO is constantly asking for more staff, which is fair enough, but no one is listening. Seems the clerical and management side are not accountable anymore, and the diagnostic staff will not work past 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What defines vulnerable?
    Using the stat of 30% of the population are vulnerable.
    Ireland has had about 50k confirmed cases across the population
    Using the stat of vulnerable at 30% is about 16k cases.
    Taking out approx 2k deaths, did 14000 require hospital treatment?
    Also remember the WHO believe up to 10 times the official number have actually been infected, hence why the CFR in Ireland is over 3.5% since March, but much less for the last 3 months.
    Dr Colm Henry from the HSE said this week 80% of those presently testing positive have mild symptoms or are asymptotic.

Your numbers don't add up because you've made an assumption that 80% mild symptoms maps to those who are vulnerable because of age or conditions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm still surprised that people still don't understand. For every 1000 cases 5 will need an extended stay in an ICU bed. That's 40 ICU beds a week if the numbers of cases remain stable and they're likely to increase let's face it.

That's 40 per beds per week not available for all sorts of other reasons, illnesses, post op recovery etc. Every week (most likely more).

So in addition to the Covid deaths you have the deaths resulting indirectly from huge pressure on the health system. In the US it was estimated this week that there have been 75000 deaths indirectly linked to Covid, since February.

So, I mean, it's obvious what this means. It's a very bad thing to let this thing get out of control. There will be lots of 'other deaths'.

Where are you getting your figures for icu from, we are no where 40 from last few months of this never mind a week. My point wasn't really about that, it was more will our obsession continue after covid fades away. On the point of excess deaths how many were due to missed diagnosis due to lockdowns, how many people died due to excessive lockdowns. Are you implying the 75000 extra died due to pressure on health systems, I heard of nobody not being treated in the states like what happened in Italy, so why did they extra 75k people die

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why if it will help the Gardai and break up large gatherings and parties, lockdown restrictions are not working as no reinforcement, the government can put us any level but without more powers given to the Gardai and army if needed nothing will change, we need again to flatten the curve, get numbers down and if I need my head checked for that so be it, you can call me what you want but time has come to get strict and tough so why not bring in the army

Lockdown restrictions not working as no reinforcement..... thats just not true, there's as much overtime for Gardai as they want.

Issue is nothing is backed by legislation, its all just guidance.

It is only powers they had at the time, By tomorrow they will have more

The army are doing testing and being brought back in for contact tracing.

Apart from that you wont see them on the street. I remember seeing an interview from the Garda commissioner and he was asked a question suggesting army be used to assist Gardai and he basically said no thats not needed nor would it be requested. Will see if I can try and find it

No . I remember that interview thanks .
    That was a few months ago .
    Be interesting to see if he still feels that way now , or will if people don't comply with restrictions once exponential increase in infection ?
    I am not in favour of the army being used or increased police powers as I think you know , but this is getting out of hand .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Summer2020 wrote: »
    I wonder will it get to the stage where a brick through the window is the only thing that will put a stop to their parties . Literally what is the point of everyone else staying home when house parties are rampant and the guards aren’t given the powers to break them up, it’s infuriating

Well I wouldn't advise throwing a brick through a window at a house party full off drunk people as you would probably get a brick to the head.

France , Spain and Italy have all had their armies out , for curfews, ensuring roadblocks and daily exercising within limits. Belgium also.
    Interested that you changed my post to limit my answer to EUROPEAN countries and just curfews , lol.

Interested that you can't answer the question. Right now at this moment in time, what countries other than France have the army out enforcing curfews? Or restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

We need some undercover agents to infiltrate. Have we got any of those?

Its a curfew of 20 million people. Italy could be the next. Northern Ireland has done a Level 5 ish as has Scotland in most big places. The thing with Ireland is we are so small it is not feasible to do that as people will just drive a short distance to another place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Part of the job of the army is to assist the civil authority during times of crisis.

I think this is a time of crisis. They should be supplementing garda at checkpoints for operation fanacht type operations to free up Gardai for enforcement measures that should be added.
    Feck off to America if you want that ****e.
    What a ridiculous suggestion.
    I’ll be out of this country as soon as the army hit the streets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement