Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm still surprised that people still don't understand. For every 1000 cases 5 will need an extended stay in an ICU bed. That's 40 ICU beds a week if the numbers of cases remain stable and they're likely to increase let's face it.

That's 40 per beds per week not available for all sorts of other reasons, illnesses, post op recovery etc. Every week (most likely more).

So in addition to the Covid deaths you have the deaths resulting indirectly from huge pressure on the health system. In the US it was estimated this week that there have been 75000 deaths indirectly linked to Covid, since February.

So, I mean, it's obvious what this means. It's a very bad thing to let this thing get out of control. There will be lots of 'other deaths'.

Where are you getting your figures for icu from, we are no where 40 from last few months of this never mind a week. My point wasn't really about that, it was more will our obsession continue after covid fades away. On the point of excess deaths how many were due to missed diagnosis due to lockdowns, how many people died due to excessive lockdowns. Are you implying the 75000 extra died due to pressure on health systems, I heard of nobody not being treated in the states like what happened in Italy, so why did they extra 75k people die

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why if it will help the Gardai and break up large gatherings and parties, lockdown restrictions are not working as no reinforcement, the government can put us any level but without more powers given to the Gardai and army if needed nothing will change, we need again to flatten the curve, get numbers down and if I need my head checked for that so be it, you can call me what you want but time has come to get strict and tough so why not bring in the army

Lockdown restrictions not working as no reinforcement..... thats just not true, there's as much overtime for Gardai as they want.

Issue is nothing is backed by legislation, its all just guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yup one right across the road from me. 30-40 people at a 21st until 4am when the Gardai finally arrived and stopped it on noise control issue. Spoke to another neighbour today who rang them 3 times between 11am and 2am before they gave in and went asleep. Young one who was 21 works in a centre for adults with disabilities also.

It is only powers they had at the time, By tomorrow they will have more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The army are doing testing and being brought back in for contact tracing.

Apart from that you wont see them on the street. I remember seeing an interview from the Garda commissioner and he was asked a question suggesting army be used to assist Gardai and he basically said no thats not needed nor would it be requested. Will see if I can try and find it

No . I remember that interview thanks .
    That was a few months ago .
    Be interesting to see if he still feels that way now , or will if people don't comply with restrictions once exponential increase in infection ?
    I am not in favour of the army being used or increased police powers as I think you know , but this is getting out of hand .

Summer2020 wrote: »
    I wonder will it get to the stage where a brick through the window is the only thing that will put a stop to their parties . Literally what is the point of everyone else staying home when house parties are rampant and the guards aren’t given the powers to break them up, it’s infuriating

Well I wouldn't advise throwing a brick through a window at a house party full off drunk people as you would probably get a brick to the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Goldengirl wrote: »
    France , Spain and Italy have all had their armies out , for curfews, ensuring roadblocks and daily exercising within limits. Belgium also.
    Interested that you changed my post to limit my answer to EUROPEAN countries and just curfews , lol.

Interested that you can't answer the question. Right now at this moment in time, what countries other than France have the army out enforcing curfews? Or restrictions?
    Other countries have their armies out enforcing curfews etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

We need some undercover agents to infiltrate. Have we got any of those?

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Other than France (some cities), which other countries in Europe currently have curfews?

Its a curfew of 20 million people. Italy could be the next. Northern Ireland has done a Level 5 ish as has Scotland in most big places. The thing with Ireland is we are so small it is not feasible to do that as people will just drive a short distance to another place

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Part of the job of the army is to assist the civil authority during times of crisis.

I think this is a time of crisis. They should be supplementing garda at checkpoints for operation fanacht type operations to free up Gardai for enforcement measures that should be added.
    Feck off to America if you want that ****e.
    What a ridiculous suggestion.
    I’ll be out of this country as soon as the army hit the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Why if it will help the Gardai and break up large gatherings and parties, lockdown restrictions are not working as no reinforcement, the government can put us any level but without more powers given to the Gardai and army if needed nothing will change, we need again to flatten the curve, get numbers down and if I need my head checked for that so be it, you can call me what you want but time has come to get strict and tough so why not bring in the army

It does not matter if the powers are not there. I am all for creative solutions which stretch as far as possible without needing a referendum but without giving the Gardai these powers there is nothing they can do and nothing the army can do. We are not Belarus or China or Russia.

• Advertisement

I don't understand how the government can go into Level 4 or 5 lockdown but allow schools to stay open with hundreds of children mingling and vrinig the virus back to the homes that are trying there best to isolate from others,

It's like pissing into the wind

Welcome back , ydw !

Currently? Starts next week and no mention of being enforced by the army.

No mention of that here bar a few

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

France , Spain and Italy have all had their armies out , for curfews, ensuring roadblocks and daily exercising within limits. Belgium also.
    Interested that you changed my post to limit my answer to EUROPEAN countries and just curfews , lol.

Yes friends in Spain said army was strict at night turning them back and letting only 1 person to opened shops

Ah come on now. The Unions will not allow 24/7 operations apart from emergencies. There are thousands of clerical backup staff now when few are attending outpatients or treatment. Doubt any of them are on PUP.

The INMO is constantly asking for more staff, which is fair enough, but no one is listening. Seems the clerical and management side are not accountable anymore, and the diagnostic staff will not work past 5pm.

I only know about the INMO , we have done everything asked over us and frankly a lot more .
    Also know a lot of lab and clerical staff working unpaid overtime and weekends trying to sort pathways for care and extra testing .
    Management are as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No . I remember that interview thanks .
    That was a few months ago .
    Be interesting to see if he still feels that way now , or will if people don't comply with restrictions once exponential increase in infection ?
    I am not in favour of the army being used or increased police powers as I think you know , but this is getting out of hand .

I wouldn't think he would be in favour of it. Its very much a community based approach and I can't see that changing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

lawred2 wrote: »
    No sh!t the county by county system hasn't worked..

The rest of the country was happy to think Covid was only a Dublin thing when Dublin was singled out for specific treatment. Pubs open across the country and everything.

Usual FF looking out for the 'grass roots' ... But it was the wrong message

I think there’s more than a degree of truth in that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Do you know how many people that is.
    Do you know there age range.
    How are we going to make sure while we shield these people away we pay for them as they have bills to pay.
    How do we make sure that everyone who is protecting these people are not infected. How do we protect them.
    You do know that this Kung flu (not a flu) is infectious and can be spread easily it is why we ask people to do simple things to protect everyone.
    Finally how do you suggest with help the mental health of those we are shielding

Too be honest... I couldn't give two flying hoots about the mental health of the population at the moment.. (I know... Sounds harsh)

Back in 2008 before the banks crashed, I sat back and watched countless 18 to 20yr olds roll up to work in their brand new cars... All living the dream, all sporting the latest techno gadgets... Robed in branded designer clothing..

I thought to myself.. These snowflakes will crumble at the first sign of hardship.. Never seen a beanz on toast dinner, awaiting the Lords Day (Payday)

Now, over a decade later.. That generation are finding it difficult to deal with life's challenges, never been used of hard days...

The elderly are made of tougher stuff.. They won't flinch at a virus. Give these guys some credit, most of them were brought up during or after WW2, these guys wouldn't have seen a new pair of shoes growing up, let alone a new car and visa card.... Give me a break!

The youth of today (not all granted), overall failed miserabley to do their bit to offset the virus.. basically by staying at home with their playstations and smart phones..

The elderly did their bit by manning the front lines as cannon fodder...

Yep... They'll manage this alright..

But why ACE if they were just helping stop the spread, reduce the numbers etc., why so against the army's involvement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Think its time to call in the FCA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Pigsaw

Anyone else started having weird dreams about an old negro lady and cornfields?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

You'll be sadly missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭FrogmanBegins

flanna01 wrote: »
    Too be honest... I couldn't give two flying hoots about the mental health of the population at the moment.. (I know... Sounds harsh)

Back in 2008 before the banks crashed, I sat back and watched countless 18 to 20yr olds roll up to work in their brand new cars... All living the dream, all sporting the latest techno gadgets... Robed in branded designer clothing..

I thought to myself.. These snowflakes will crumble at the first sign of hardship.. Never seen a beanz on toast dinner, awaiting the Lords Day (Payday)

Now, over a decade later.. That generation are finding it difficult to deal with life's challenges, never been used of hard days...

The elderly are made of tougher stuff.. They won't flinch at a virus. Give these guys some credit, most of them were brought up during or after WW2, these guys wouldn't have seen a new pair of shoes growing up, let alone a new car and visa card.... Give me a break!

The youth of today (not all granted), overall failed miserabley to do their bit to offset the virus.. basically by staying at home with their playstations and smart phones..

Spot the bitter old grandad.

Interested that you can't answer the question. Right now at this moment in time, what countries other than France have the army out enforcing curfews? Or restrictions?

Again you are misquoting .
    I said " have all had " ..
    Those countries that have had before , will do again , if necessary , and so should we
    Now if you want people to take you seriously, stop misquoting and taking out of context when you are replying, thank you .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    You'll be sadly missed.

Luckily I won’t be leaving because you’ll see pigs fly before you’ll see the army on the streets.
    Thank God the Boards Public Health Emergency Team means sweet **** all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Pigsaw

Lol no you won't.

We need some undercover agents to infiltrate. Have we got any of those?

21 jump streeters to go undercover as students for house parties :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Pigsaw wrote: »
    Anyone else started having weird dreams about an old negro lady and cornfields?

Yes. Thought it was just me. Phew..

flanna01 wrote: »

You sound a bit bitter and jealous tbh here. So you want 28-30 year olds to stay at home with their PlayStations, how do you expect them to pay rent or a mortgage. Its the elderly that are the most vulnerable, by your post they should just man the **** up and deal with the virus instead of hiding from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

21 jump streeters to go undercover as students for house parties :P

We can use Fair City actors

• Advertisement

Think its time to call in the FCA

Why who needs free clothing :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement