Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    You'll be sadly missed.

Will you go if they are not on the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes friends in Spain said army was strict at night turning them back and letting only 1 person to opened shops

Yes. A relative was stuck in Belgium for most of the last lockdown, same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

We can use Fair City actors

Harry Molloy would sort this craap out on his own...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

flanna01 wrote: »
    Too be honest... I couldn't give two flying hoots about the mental health of the population at the moment.. (I know... Sounds harsh)

Back in 2008 before the banks crashed, I sat back and watched countless 18 to 20yr olds roll up to work in their brand new cars... All living the dream, all sporting the latest techno gadgets... Robed in branded designer clothing..

I thought to myself.. These snowflakes will crumble at the first sign of hardship.. Never seen a beanz on toast dinner, awaiting the Lords Day (Payday)

Now, over a decade later.. That generation are finding it difficult to deal with life's challenges, never been used of hard days...

The elderly are made of tougher stuff.. They won't flinch at a virus. Give these guys some credit, most of them were brought up during or after WW2, these guys wouldn't have seen a new pair of shoes growing up, let alone a new car and visa card.... Give me a break!

The youth of today (not all granted), overall failed miserabley to do their bit to offset the virus.. basically by staying at home with their playstations and smart phones..

The elderly did their bit by manning the front lines as cannon fodder...

Yep... They'll manage this alright..

Character 436 enters the arena

I wouldn't think he would be in favour of it. Its very much a community based approach and I can't see that changing

If they can get results with that well and good .
    It has not worked so far .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Why who needs free clothing :P

A part of me wants to see the army out now just to see the reaction on here :D

meltdown is starting with just the mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Normal People cast too well known especially Mr. Ballyhaunis Paul Mescal now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Too be honest... I couldn't give two flying hoots about the mental health of the population at the moment.. (I know... Sounds harsh)

Back in 2008 before the banks crashed, I sat back and watched countless 18 to 20yr olds roll up to work in their brand new cars... All living the dream, all sporting the latest techno gadgets... Robed in branded designer clothing..

I thought to myself.. These snowflakes will crumble at the first sign of hardship.. Never seen a beanz on toast dinner, awaiting the Lords Day (Payday)

Now, over a decade later.. That generation are finding it difficult to deal with life's challenges, never been used of hard days...

The elderly are made of tougher stuff.. They won't flinch at a virus. Give these guys some credit, most of them were brought up during or after WW2, these guys wouldn't have seen a new pair of shoes growing up, let alone a new car and visa card.... Give me a break!

The youth of today (not all granted), overall failed miserabley to do their bit to offset the virus.. basically by staying at home with their playstations and smart phones..

Lol don't even know where to start with this!!:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

So the people saying no to the army on the streets, will you be happy to pay a lot more tax for all the people who will be put on the dole because of all the closed businesses? Remember no emigration escape valve this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Think its time to call in the FCA

They haven't existed since October 2005.

• Advertisement

Ah he..are!
    We have Paddy Green's beautiful prose here already , now this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Again you are misquoting .
    I said " have all had " ..
    Those countries that have had before , will do again , if necessary , and so should we
    Now if you want people to take you seriously, stop misquoting and taking out of context when you are replying, thank you .
    I am behaved . Have nothing to fear , but thanks anyway !
    This is when we need them, I now agree with those posters who have called for it .
    Other countries have their armies out enforcing curfews etc.

Is this a misquote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

brookers wrote: »
    Simon Harris said level 3 clearly didnt work. Move to higher restrictions, probably 4, which in my humble opinion, not a scientist or anything wont work either.

Who is he again?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

brookers wrote: »
    You might as well be talking to the wall, if I hear one more time about cancer deaths. Can people not understand it or get it, if there are too many covid patients in a hospital needing treatment, that means people who are having strokes, heart attacks, may not the care they need. When you are bad with covid in hospital it takes a huge amount of resources to keep you alive. Jane mac what is wrong with people that they cant understand.

Yes and it’s not just about keeping them alive, there is huge amount of time and resources that goes into stopping it spreading through the hospital. This is being very poorly communicated by the government.

For example, a person that gets as admitted with a broken leg but happens to test positive for covid would be use more resources and time in terms of disease control even if they had no covid symptoms. It’s the huge level of disruption it causes to hospitals and treatment that is the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Feck off to America if you want that ****e.
    What a ridiculous suggestion.
    I’ll be out of this country as soon as the army hit the streets.

Silver lining i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They haven't existed since October 2005.

That's why it's funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

I'd say fergal bowers doesn't exactly bounce out of bed in the morning

Hard times, hard times. My grandparents were so poor they had to go foraging for their breakfast in the woods before school. My granda and his 5 brothers only had 3 pairs of shoes so they took a shoe each and hopped through the woods on one leg foraging for their breakfast. Never complained once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭FrogmanBegins

niallo27 wrote: »
    You sound a bit bitter and jealous tbh here. So you want 28-30 year olds to stay at home with their PlayStations, how do you expect them to pay rent or a mortgage. Its the elderly that are the most vulnerable, by your post they should just man the **** up and deal with the virus instead of hiding from it.

He'd probably wail like an infant if his previous pension was taxed any bit extra to help foot the bill. Assuming he's not a wind up merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I only know about the INMO , we have done everything asked over us and frankly a lot more .
    Also know a lot of lab and clerical staff working unpaid overtime and weekends trying to sort pathways for care and extra testing .
    Management are as well .

OK we know this and TYFYS.

HSE is a disaster though, and will be slow to change.

It is a Union thing. Debate that if you wish. It is not working well no matter how much money is pumped into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If they can get results with that well and good .
    It has not worked so far .

Thats not their fault.

If you don't provide them the tools then having army isn't going to do much more.

Hands tied by legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

21 jump streeters to go undercover as students for house parties :P

I'll sign up to go undercover at these fictional rampant house parties.

Although it would make more sense to send undercover agents into the schools and workplaces that are actually spreading the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Hard times, hard times. My grandparents were so poor they had to go foraging for their breakfast in the woods before school. My granda and his 5 brothers only had 3 pairs of shoes so they took a shoe each and hopped through the woods on one leg foraging for their breakfast. Never complained once.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

FCA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Pigsaw wrote: »
    Anyone else started having weird dreams about an old negro lady and cornfields?
    Made me laugh ...thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So the people saying no to the army on the streets, will you be happy to pay a lot more tax for all the people who will be put on the dole because of all the closed businesses? Remember no emigration escape valve this time around.

And what difference does the army make to any of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Would anyone take the army seriously?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Yes and it’s not just about keeping them alive, there is huge amount of time and resources that goes into stopping it spreading through the hospital. This is being very poorly communicated by the government.

For example, a person that gets as admitted with a broken leg but happens to test positive for covid would be use more resources and time in terms of disease control even if they had no covid symptoms. It’s the huge level of disruption it causes to hospitals and treatment that is the problem

It's also impacting on staff availability, we have patients lying about symptoms being treated in general areas and then being discovered as possible covid cases, if they are positive you end up with staff having to self-isolate, unable to work, further reducing bed availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I agree with you for the fast majority of what you say. Yes your first line is harsh but fair play for saying it would you say it in public.

You do know the vulnerable include more then the elderly. I have a 45 year old friend after quadruple bypass and has diabetes and it bricking himself to step foot off his farm. Not because he is not safe but he has no idea what Tom Dick or Harry has it because they aint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

niallo27 wrote: »
    You sound a bit bitter and jealous tbh here. So you want 28-30 year olds to stay at home with their PlayStations, how do you expect them to pay rent or a mortgage. Its the elderly that are the most vulnerable, by your post they should just man the **** up and deal with the virus instead of hiding from it.

Crikey... Missed the context of that post by a mile....

Ask Mammy to read it back to you again... Slowly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement