Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

gifted wrote: »
    I'd say fergal bowers doesn't exactly bounce out of bed in the morning

Ive seen him, he glides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Would anyone take the army seriously? And how long would it be before they put in a dodgy claim and retired? They are not really used to real work.

Clueless comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Ah he..are!
    We have Paddy Green's beautiful prose here already , now this :)

This guy doesn't hold a candle to Paddy G.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Spot the bitter old grandad.

He is right though a lot of the youth ( I am 40) Would crap there pants today if they had to live through WW2 or polio or TB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The Gardai out doing speeding checkpoints in the backarse of nowhere and people are calling for the army. Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Yes. A relative was stuck in Belgium for most of the last lockdown, same .

The army have been on the streets in Brussels since 2016 and the terrorist attacks. Not Covid related.

Pigsaw wrote: »
    Anyone else started having weird dreams about an old negro lady and cornfields?

Hahaha I read that again for lockdown 1. Might have to go again for lockdown 2.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    21 jump streeters to go undercover as students for house parties :P

Oh the next sequel

The army have been on the streets in Brussels since 2016 and the terrorist attacks. Not Covid related.
    It's almost as if people on here want martial law or something, not sure where this narrative has come from. The looneys are out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

spookwoman wrote: »
    A part of me wants to see the army out now just to see the reaction on here :D

meltdown is starting with just the mention of it.

We might need the army for this thread :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Clueless comment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Army_deafness_claims
    The army deafness claims were a series of personal injury claims taken from 1992 to 2002 against the Irish Department of Defence by members of the Irish Defence Forces for noise-induced hearing loss resulting from exposure to loud noise during military operations and training. The claims stated that the government had failed to provide adequate ear protectors during firing exercises, as was required under regulations dating back to the 1950s. About 16,500 claims were made, resulting in payouts totalling about €300m.

War is hell

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

OK we know this and TYFYS.

HSE is a disaster though, and will be slow to change.

It is a Union thing. Debate that if you wish. It is not working well no matter how much money is pumped into it.

It's not a union thing , not nursing anyway. What does TYFYS mean ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭FrogmanBegins

He is right though a lot of the youth ( I am 40) Would crap there pants today if they had to live through WW2 or polio or TB

Whereas your generation would have stormed the beaches of Normandy stoically. Give me a break what has your generation done that you can be so smug and sanctimonious about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I am not seeing any European countries managing this better than Ireland at the moment, Sweden is getting on OK but the trajectory is up same as most countries

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

It's not a union thing , not nursing anyway. What does TYFYS mean ?

Thank you for your ****e?

I am not seeing any European countries managing this better than Ireland at the moment, Sweden is getting on OK but the trajectory is up same as most countries
    we need to round up and shoot all the infected, get the army in IMMEDIATELY

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thats not their fault.

If you don't provide them the tools then having army isn't going to do much more.

Hands tied by legislation

So do you think that this government will pass that legislation to allow them deal with this effectively?
    And didn't you say before that the guards don't want to be seen as enforcers instead of community policing ?
    So what the hell do we do when / if we need enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Forgot the bit
    The government in 1998 alleged that all soldiers had been issued from 1952 with protection in conformity to best practice of the time, although the level of protection provided was later recognised as inadequate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Would anyone take the army seriously? And how long would it be before they put in a dodgy claim and retired? They are not really used to real work.

You should explain that to the Military personnel running the Covid19 testing centre at the Aviva and those who helped do the Covid19 testing at the meat factories and care homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    But why ACE if they were just helping stop the spread, reduce the numbers etc., why so against the army's involvement
    The Gardai out doing speeding checkpoints in the backarse of nowhere and people are calling for the army. Christ.
    It's almost as if people on here want martial law or something, not sure where this narrative has come from. The looneys are out tonight.

But why ACE is involving the army wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Army_deafness_claims

The army deafness claims were a series of personal injury claims taken from 1992 to 2002 against the Irish Department of Defence by members of the Irish Defence Forces for noise-induced hearing loss resulting from exposure to loud noise during military operations and training. The claims stated that the government had failed to provide adequate ear protectors during firing exercises, as was required under regulations dating back to the 1950s. About 16,500 claims were made, resulting in payouts totalling about €300m.

Sure.

Would you like me to drop in a few links about the UN and other peace keeping missions past and present where our defense forces have served with distinction?

A totally underfunded under utilized asset to the state does not make the members within some sort of soft lads.

I wonder how many claims have come from
    The members of AGS , the HSE and
    TD’s for things ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Pigsaw wrote: »
    Anyone else started having weird dreams about an old negro lady and cornfields?

Mayhap

It was the same the last time but have heard no WhattsAp message or saw no facebook post

My brothers gf says the army has set up in the Clayton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Yes obviously, we're seeing them crap their pants in relation to Covid. Can guarantee if this happened 30 years ago there wouldn't be a lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

What defines vulnerable?

Using the stat of 30% of the population are vulnerable.

Ireland has had about 50k confirmed cases across the population

Using the stat of vulnerable at 30% is about 16k cases.

Taking out approx 2k deaths, did 14000 require hospital treatment?

Also remember the WHO believe up to 10 times the official number have actually been infected, hence why the CFR in Ireland is over 3.5% since March, but much less for the last 3 months.

Dr Colm Henry from the HSE said this week 80% of those presently testing positive have mild symptoms or are asymptotic.

That leaves 20% that are not mild cases. That's 20% of the current number. That 20% relates to an actual number that rises when the overall number increases - IE it becomes 20% of a much bigger number.

Now I'm not great at the oul maths myself, but I can see where this goes as the daily case numbers rise.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yes obviously, we're seeing them crap their pants in relation to Covid. Can guarantee if this happened 30 years ago there wouldn't be a lockdown

Martin and Rory haha.

Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

No Army, no Guards, just citizens

dadp6pm-b923d8c2-66ad-43a6-8555-ab1cbd4ebaee.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwic3ViIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTpmaWxlLmRvd25sb2FkIl0sIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiIvZi8xNGY3OTdkOS1jZTU1LTRkYWQtYTJlMy05NjZhZTUxMTIyZjAvZGFkcDZwbS1iOTIzZDhjMi02NmFkLTQzYTYtODU1NS1hYjFjYmQ0ZWJhZWUucG5nIn1dXX0.di6EAEwgUor4EKaUDgHCp9NtTH6G5ADOkvOZ3Wlj4jI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Feck off to America if you want that ****e.
    What a ridiculous suggestion.
    I’ll be out of this country as soon as the army hit the streets.
    Luckily I won’t be leaving because you’ll see pigs fly before you’ll see the army on the streets.
    Thank God the Boards Public Health Emergency Team means sweet **** all.

Make up your mind will ya!

Speaking as a soldier who has conducted ATCP/ATCA duties, I dont see the requirement for us to be out. Especially in an armed capacity in which I imagine is the general opposition here.

AGS have it covered. However, if we are requested to assist, get over it. We are there for times of emergency to assist the AGS or other state authorites/departments. We wont be out kicking in doors, oppressing people or witholding your rights ffs.

We should all be pulling together in the greater interest to limit the spread of this cnut ass disease and getting back to normal asap. There shouldnt even be a need for AGS checkpoints.

Technically, the DF have already been "on the street", setting up and operating covid test centres. Now, what Ryanair flight are you on tonight?

If anyone is interested, heres a link to various militaries responses to covid so far...including Ireland.

http://euromil.org/armed-forces-and-covid-19/

• Advertisement

Whereas your generation would have stormed the beaches of Normandy stoically. Give me a break what has your generation done that you can be so smug and sanctimonious about?

I was en composing my age group there not been smug or nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement