Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

They normally meet on Thursdays.

There's usually a press conference on Wednesday before nphet Thursday meeting. I don't know if that will happen. There's a 7pm cabinet meeting today so I guess Tony and Nphet will have a meeting before that to make recommendations.

This may make it difficult to do a press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Crucial number for me tonight is Dublin... of we are talking about around 1000 nationally, I would be hoping Dublin isn't much more than 200 to confirm the reduced growth rate after Level 3 enacted.
    My totally unscientific models say that 206 cases for Dublin tonight would mean we're still on a very slow downward track. "Good" would be 190 or less. But ideally 166 or less.

Beware: Idle speculation

If you look at the charts they produced during 1918 there's an uncanny likeness to this. Small jump at the start - March in the US, May/June in Europe - a couple of months of calm, huge spike around October, decrease to December, smaller jump around January/February.

The charts also suggest that there's typically no more than 4 weeks - at most 6 - between the start of a steep increase in cases, and their peak. Which holds out four our cases in March - steep incline started around March 18th, peaked around April 15th. Exactly four weeks.

Of course, this depends on knowing where the steep climb actually starts. :D

But taking this unscientific idle speculation and looking at peaks and troughs in other countries suggests that our case load may peak sometime around now, or perhaps the end of the month.

Wishful thinking, perhaps. But it also has to be remembered that case numbers can't rise indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-netherlands-closes-restaurants-and-bars-in-new-partial-lockdown-1.4380916

Talk about a sign of things to come here. If an intelligent lockdown doesn't work, a stupid one is the only option.

The die has already been cast for us. There's 1200 cases in NI and 1300 positive swabs here today. 2500 more people who are now testing positive as being infected with this virus. If all those people infected just two people, in a week there'll be 5000 more people with asymptomatic or asymptomatic covid walking around this island. We're not catching even close to all of the cases and transmission is now widespread in 1/3 of secondary schools and approaching 10% of primary schools with no contact tracing happening.

That is plainly unsustainable. SAGE gave the advice that the two most meaningful changes to be made to stem transmission are for everyone to work from home and for schools to be closed.

sage-mitigations.png?resize=1024%2C315&ssl=1

Source: https://skwawkbox.org/2020/10/14/explosive-sage-chart-shows-government-fully-aware-closing-pubs-and-not-schools-will-have-minimal-impact-on-second-wave/

Irish government on schools :pac:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is a shebeen a home bar?
    Any room or shack where you can serve liquour, illegally of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Eod100 wrote: »
    Sorry meant briefing

I'm guessing not. Fergal Bowers would normally mention it on his twitter and other mention at all today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

keep people locked up - give em an outlet and .............

Grand so. I'm ok with that. That was from the north. The opposite of Personal responsibility is selfishness. Don't call Joe Duffy or blame the government when the following happens.
    • you've no job
    • Your granny dies in a nursing home.
    • You can't send your kids to school.
    • You can't get hospital treatment for a minor treatment that turns serious.
    • You can't pay your mortgage. (again)

Sad fact is they'll be the ones moaning the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

7,500 at the match in Helsinki

From both fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Locking up Dublin now unfortunately seems to be the only solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Very true. The mob mentality may explain some of the post match shenanigans, no reasoning with that. It's easier to just say "what could we have done, how were we to know" :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/richardtgarland/status/1308477475547222018?s=20

Poor form I agree! I saw the same scenes however from a video taken in a pub in the North in July when Liverpool won the league taken by somebody who was not from the North.

Somebody will tell me now "but pubs were not open in NI in July", well they didn't tell these lads. The point is you'll have outliers.

And back to the point I made yesterday, you would have more scenes like that video going on private houses without team sports taking place. And I mean all of them, not just the GAA. Just because the videos aren't making it to your Twitter feed does not mean they are not going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    From both fans?

No just domestic fans, unless there's Irish people living in Finland. They wouldn't have gotten tickets here, not sure what the restrictions are for arrivals into Finland but there definitely are some.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Locking up Dublin now unfortunately seems to be the only solution

Well Dublin seem to be a middle of the road county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

You can shut down everything, except for Schools and cases would still rise.

Meanwhile, NPHET and the Government...

"Tony, will you be closing schools? Only place left open and cases are skyrocketing"
    "So...In response to your question and in relation to all other factors, there is no evidence that schools are a factor in this"

:D

And for the record, where I live, it is rampant in young people in schools. They're bringing it home and look what's happening.

But yeah, hotels, bars and restaurants...They're the real enemy here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Well Dublin seem to be a middle of the road county.

It’s worse in other counties from what you see?

MOR316 wrote: »
    You can shut down everything, except for Schools and cases would still rise.

Meanwhile, NPHET and the Government...

"Tony, will you be closing schools? Only place left open and cases are skyrocketing"
    "So...In response to your question and in relation to all other factors, there is no evidence that schools are a factor in this"

:D

And for the record, where I live, it is rampant in young people in schools. They're bringing it home and look what's happening.

But yeah, hotels, bars and restaurants...They're the real enemy here :D

That could also be

"And for the record, where I live, it is rampant in young people. They're bringing it from home into schools and look what's happening."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We need to build a wall somewhere but not sure where yet. The offending county(s) will pay for the wall. A big, beautiful wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We need to build a wall somewhere but not sure where yet. The offending county(s) will pay for the wall. A big, beautiful wall.

I'd say Roscommon. Just brick it up. Maybe put an iron dome roof over it. Nothing to do with Covid.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

And so it begins, continues (hospital disruption). That's an RTE journalist so wouldn't think it's fake news.

https://twitter.com/ciaranmullooly/status/1316419793227067392?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

is_that_so wrote: »
    That could also be

"And for the record, where I live, it is rampant in young people. They're bringing it from home into schools and look what's happening."

Fair enough, get out of your house then! It's level 6 time! All homes to be closed

Gael23 wrote: »
    It’s worse in other counties from what you see?

EkOdGlCX0A0YBja?format=jpg&name=large

Per capita breakdown per county here.

Dublin is 11th per capita.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

Hospitals are not up to standard that's all there is to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Outbreak on a ward in Portlaoise hospital now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Hospitals are not up to standard that's all there is to it

Thanks for the wonderful insight. Any ideas how the government would be able to fund and train large numbers of staff to deal with complex medical treatments and devices in the space of 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

circadian wrote: »
    Thanks for the wonderful insight. Any ideas how the government would be able to fund and train large numbers of staff to deal with complex medical treatments and devices in the space of 6 months?

It is absolutely not a question of funding anyway, there's plenty of that. A bigger question may be how much of this training have they even started?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'd say Roscommon. Just brick it up. Maybe put an iron dome roof over it. Nothing to do with Covid.

If we're doing that, Cork is the way to go. I'll even pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-netherlands-closes-restaurants-and-bars-in-new-partial-lockdown-1.4380916

Talk about a sign of things to come here. If an intelligent lockdown doesn't work, a stupid one is the only option.

The die has already been cast for us. There's 1200 cases in NI and 1300 positive swabs here today. 2500 more people who are now testing positive as being infected with this virus. If all those people infected just two people, in a week there'll be 5000 more people with asymptomatic or asymptomatic covid walking around this island. We're not catching even close to all of the cases and transmission is now widespread in 1/3 of secondary schools and approaching 10% of primary schools with no contact tracing happening.

That is plainly unsustainable. SAGE gave the advice that the two most meaningful changes to be made to stem transmission are for everyone to work from home and for schools to be closed.

sage-mitigations.png?resize=1024%2C315&ssl=1

Source: https://skwawkbox.org/2020/10/14/explosive-sage-chart-shows-government-fully-aware-closing-pubs-and-not-schools-will-have-minimal-impact-on-second-wave/
    Well the next press conference we should have more details from professor Nolan about cases in schools.
    As pointed out numerous times the % incident rate in 0-14 year olds hasn't increased in relation to other age groups that would show a significant spread.

Another simple option is seeing how many cases have occured in households with school going children and how many occured in households without school going children. If the % is split equally, it should be pretty definitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

circadian wrote: »

The hse have never been up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is there any info on how many of the cases in hospital were infected with Covid while in hospital as opposed to being admitted because they had Covid.
    This would present a completely different picture on the hospital statistics!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems very likely that this will happen so https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1316423651705737222

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

If you include Mayo, we have a deal :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement