Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wolf359f wrote: »
    If you're all finished with the army discussion (every night is always a different topic, always fun)
    The HSE report is out:
    290 confirmed hospitalised cases, up from 262 last night
    31 in ICU, 23 ventilated, up from 30/20 last night.

Interesting there's a Covid patient in the Beacon ICU.
    Wasn't it reported earlier that there was 33 in ICU?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In these instances where contact tracing is struggling, you would hope people inform their contacts themselves asap to prevent further spread.

In turn you would hope people who know they are close contacts restrict their movements until they're tested.

Its incredibly stupid and reckless to go about your business thinking you can do what you want until you get the contact tracing call.

I know of one test center thats across the road from a café and the café has never been busier - with people dropping in for coffee after their test.

This is the kind of stupidity we are up against, you expect these same people to inform their close contacts themselves?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

There will be a tax bill but will probably be eligible to be spread over a considerable period of time making it negligible

You are right, everyone should stop working, we can all live forever for free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

[
    Some hospitals full in Manchester. We are not a good trajectory regarding that. Current doubling time for people in hospital is ~14 days.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1317919651544825856?s=20

529756.png

Aww man, is graph free Sunday next Sunday?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

HSE Operations report

18-10-2020-p1.jpg
    18-10-2020-p2.jpg
    18-10-2020-p3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not a shock, poorer people who work the front line jobs are more likely to be infected. White middle classes are safe at home, zoom calling.

True.
    But they also have an increased risk , also those not working frontline .
    Higher risk genetically for cardiac disease,diabetes, although not having affordable access to healthcare like in USA hasn't helped .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Either way you look at it the situation in Europe is getting out of hand. Heard a stat on Sky News earlier that Europe now has more confirmed cases than the US, India and Brazil combined at present. That's very worrying given Winter hasn't even begun yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Wasn't it reported earlier that there was 33 in ICU?

Could have been, there was 4 admissions and 4 discharges, so the 33 could be from a specific time.

spookwoman wrote: »
    HSE Operations report

18-10-2020-p1.jpg
    18-10-2020-p2.jpg
    18-10-2020-p3.jpg

You're forgetting the t in the end of tallaght :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

Ger Roe wrote: »
    "Underlying issues does not make their deaths ok. My daughter was in hospital & has underlying issues! She was 12 & it took her 3 weeks to get better.
    I cringe when I see people asking if these unfortunate people had other health issues. Their lives are just as valuable as those without underlying issues" (Knine)

Agreed. Lots of people have underlying issues. That doesn't mean that they are already at death's door. People with underlying issues are managing them every day in their otherwise normal lives. They are all around you and you don't need to know anything about it.

Why should they be dismissed as an acceptable casualty of Covid?

Nobody is belittling 12 year olds with underlying conditions; I just asked for the ages of the recent deaths (median age of 88 up to now I understand, although NPHET were not keen to give the data) and 90% of these had underlying conditions, which is only to be expected in that age category.
    Don’t shoot the messenger for asking the question.

• Advertisement

You're forgetting the t in the end of tallaght :D

and the e in portlaoise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Either way you look at it the situation in Europe is getting out of hand. Heard a stat on Sky News earlier that Europe now has more confirmed cases than the US, India and Brazil combined at present. That's very worrying given Winter hasn't even begun yet.

Interestingly less deaths too, it's almost as if Europe is testing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You have no idea if his statements are usually conservative.

Its not hard to do, read back on some of what he's said previously and you'll know this is a departure from previous statements.

If I've read them which I have then its quite easy to say whats conservative and what's not . You quite clearly haven't read anything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I don't get the point of this statement. Being afraid of war isn't cowardly. It's the natural and intelligent reaction to it. It was traumatising for anyone who experienced it no matter what period they lived in and definitely not something everyone should be expected to face bravely

I was saying crap there pants thinking they had hardship not of people dieing. Yes it was traumatizing my Nana lived through both of them but when things need done for the good of people in term of hardship they did it

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was asking why involving the army to break up gatherings etc., and help the Gardai was such a no no idea, riled many on this thread up and even got one talking of leaving the country :p there is no evidence it is going to happen it was just a suggestion

Ah right so. It has gathered a lot of legs

Some hospitals full in Manchester. We are not a good trajectory regarding that. Current doubling time for people in hospital is ~14 days.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1317919651544825856?s=20

529756.png

I think at the worst back in March, it was doubling every 3/4 days.
    But that was after our lockdown, so it peaked quickly.
    We're set to keep following the doubling every 14 days, if not sooner (as the new cases are doubling in less then 14 days I believe) Tis not looking pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

If you're all finished with the army discussion (every night is always a different topic, always fun)
    The HSE report is out:
    290 confirmed hospitalised cases, up from 262 last night
    31 in ICU, 23 ventilated, up from 30/20 last night.

Interesting there's a Covid patient in the Beacon ICU.

Would the Beacon case be a patient that was already in there, or a transfer? Is the public/private facility arrangement still in place?

and the e in portlaoise. :D

haha, I'll make a note of both and be checking it's corrected tomorrow!

Plenty of Irish people did fight on WWII and it was hardly a picnic in this country at the time.

But still I'm kinda sick of the few people of that generation who go on about how great they are for having made it through the grim 1950s, the threat of nuclear war in the 1960s, bell bottoms in the 1970s, etc. These are also the richest generation in history and are likely to remain so on account of how they tanked the global economy and then pulled the drawbridge up after themselves, safe with their defined benefit pensions. Give me the generation who actually lived through WWII all day long over that lot.

Would yo go a f£"$. The people who lived through recession after recession are the richest now. Also even if they have some money so what the scrimped and saved it and did not invest it in something a celeb told ius to do like some did or spent virtual money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I know of one test center thats across the road from a café and the café has never been busier - with people dropping in for coffee after their test.

This is the kind of stupidity we are up against, you expect these same people to inform their close contacts themselves?!

It's not 'stupidity', it's human nature.

People worried sick about a virus and living under varying for degrees of lockdown for months at a time see a coffee shop across the road and decide to treat themselves to one of the few pleasures left that NPHET haven't taken away from us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

mcburns07 wrote: »
    I don't think anybody has raised any concerns with the army assisting with logistics etc? The bone of contention is suggestions that the army are used to enforce restrictions / police.

One poster mentioned how they were used to enforce curfews across Europe. We really do not want to go down that road.....

Again with the taking posts out of context.
    Yes I said they did use the army in many countries for enduring curfews etc were complied with .
    Note ETC !
    I also mentioned checking people were wearing masks.
    Way to continue an argument past its sell by date .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ah right so. It has gathered a lot of legs

Yes with some legs wanting to leave the country :D

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Would the Beacon case be a patient that was already in there, or a transfer? Is the public/private facility arrangement still in place?

The arrangement expired some time ago, but apparently they may look at a new arrangement (they have to, they done diddly squat over the summer in the way of capacity)
    But for the patient, I would say it was a patient already in there.

Critical care cases in CHI Crumlin and Temple Street back to 0 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The arrangement expired some time ago, but apparently they may look at a new arrangement (they have to, they done diddly squat over the summer in the way of capacity)
    But for the patient, I would say it was a patient already in there.

Understood. Best of luck to the patient anyway.

Critical care cases in CHI Crumlin and Temple Street back to 0 now.

Crumlin is for kids (and Temple Street??) so I am glad that is zero

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm the one who stole Fungie the dolphin.

I'll give him back when we revert to Level 2, not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

growleaves wrote: »
    I'm the one who stole Fungie the dolphin.

I'll give him back when we revert to Level 2, not before.

Wrong thread, I think there was one for the lads who had a dead dolphin on the piss with them in ucc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    But curfews and fines might stop the house parties and large gatherings which seem to have gotten worse imho

Perhaps. At the moment I don't really see it happening, the Garda Commissioner said last week they don't want additional powers - that sounds pretty far from curfew level control.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement