Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭FrogmanBegins

I was saying crap there pants thinking they had hardship not of people dieing. Yes it was traumatizing my Nana lived through both of them but when things need done for the good of people in term of hardship they did it

Ireland was relatively unaffected bar the clobbering Belfast was given by the luftwaffe. Talk to the polish or the Russians, Ukrainians or Belarusians if you want to hear what living through WWII was like and it ain't pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I was saying crap there pants thinking they had hardship not of people dieing. Yes it was traumatizing my Nana lived through both of them but when things need done for the good of people in term of hardship they did it

Yeah like sending millions of young men to their death!

Give over with the romantic view of the past, lives were far less cherished back then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Polar101 wrote: »
    Perhaps. At the moment I don't really see it happening, the Garda Commissioner said last week they don't want additional powers - that sounds pretty far from curfew level control.
    There's a difference between don't want and don't need.
    But it's not up to the Guards to pick and choose what laws they will enforce.
    If legislation is brought in for what ever issue, they will have to police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

As much as it pains me, a curfew might be the best restriction to have over the next 5 weeks. Act passed in the dail time limited of course. Might be the best way around parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Would yo go a f£"$. The people who lived through recession after recession are the richest now

It is widely accepted everywhere that baby boomers (IE those born between 1945 and 1965) are the wealthiest generation ever and there are many international statistics available (EG for USA: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-depressing-chart-shows-the-jaw-dropping-wealth-gap-between-millennials-and-boomers-2019-12-04 which also shows a deep skewing of figures over the years in favour of older people - "When baby boomers (born between 1946 and 1964) hit a median age of 35 in 1990, they collectively owned 21% of the nation’s wealth....Indeed, at a median age of 35, Gen Xers owned just 9% of the nation’s wealth in 2008 — less than half what boomers had at that age. And millennials will have to triple their net worth in the next four years to catch up to Generation X at 35, and increase their wealth sevenfold to catch up to boomers at that age."

In total https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/08/baby-boomers-wealth-is-12-times-greater-compared-to-millennials.html

"Baby boomers’ wealth is 12 times greater compared to millennials."

In Ireland: https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0717/1153882-millennial-and-covid-19/

"He said: "Young adults, those around the age of 30 have gone from about 70% owning their own home [in 1991] to about 30%.""

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ireland was relatively unaffected bar the clobbering Belfast was given by the luftwaffe. Talk to the polish or the Russians, Ukrainians or Belarusians if you want to hear what living through WWII was like and it ain't pretty

North Strand?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

What's ironic is I see a handful of cases per day from the Chinese who started this whole thing yet life has returned to normal there it appears.

RoryMac wrote: »

Give over with the romantic view of the past, lives were far less cherished back then

It really disturbs me how people can romanticize sending millions of teenage boys off to shoot, bomb and bayonet each other in the much as if it's some ideal to live up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Wolf359f wrote: »
    If you're all finished with the army discussion (every night is always a different topic, always fun)
    The HSE report is out:
    290 confirmed hospitalised cases, up from 262 last night
    31 in ICU, 23 ventilated, up from 30/20 last night.

Interesting there's a Covid patient in the Beacon ICU.
    Most likely a patient who was already in there. No public private agreement currently in place. Talks ongoing about a longer term agreement but not finalized yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

alentejo wrote: »
    As much as it pains me, a curfew might be the best restriction to have over the next 5 weeks. Act passed in the dail time limited of course. Might be the best way around parties.

I agree. I see that France is doing this.

It may become necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Its not hard to do, read back on some of what he's said previously and you'll know this is a departure from previous statements.

If I've read them which I have then its quite easy to say whats conservative and what's not . You quite clearly haven't read anything

You hadn't a breeze who that guy was up until a few weeks ago at best. You have no idea if he's usually conservative with his statements or not.

You make it sound like you and him go way back... You wouldn't be able to pick him out of a line up.
    Usually conservative...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I agree. I see that France is doing this.

It may become necessary.

Isn't there a risk those working all crowd into a shop before curfew ends? Seems counter productive and surely things should be spread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

majcos wrote: »
    Most likely a patient who was already in there. No public private agreement currently in place. Talks ongoing about a longer term agreement but not finalized yet.

Forgive my ignorance, what is significant about the Beacon hospital?

Wolf359f wrote: »
    North Strand?

That was an error on the Germans part. Compared to what the likes of Warsaw, Dresden, Coventry and Tokyo were subjected to it was nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭landofthetree

alentejo wrote: »

We are not going to flatten the curve enough with 5 weeks.

At 4 degrees covid spreads like wildfire. The Irish winter is ideal for spread unfortunately.

We will be in lockdown for months to try flatten the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

Isn't there a risk those working all crowd into a shop before curfew ends? Seems counter productive and surely things should be spread out.

I think it would be a matter of timing. Curfews should make it easier to weed out people out way past their bed time!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Balagan1 wrote: »
    A lot of the now elderly are missing out on the visits home from emigrated children who would come regularly and keep their computers up to speed, help them with the Smart phones etc. Since Covid started in March, many have not come home either because of travel restrictions or because they don't want to risk the older person's health.

Very true, we've not been able to travel to visit (UK) elderly parents (2 @90, 1 @95) this year, we'd normally visit every 3 months to keep an eye on how things are going.

That said, it's very easy to remotely support the computer for them, using something like Teamviewer, which is free for non professional use, and there's very little that can't be done using that software. Just as well, in that for various reasons, mostly Microsoft shortcomings and screw ups, we've just had to replace the main computer, which wasn't easy, but we managed to sort it out with some help from another (younger) family member. The old machine failed, so a migration wasn't possible, we had to move the apps and data manually using a caddy, but in the end it got there.

We were hoping to get over during October, but the massive spike in cases both here and in the UK has made that inadvisable, the risk of taking Covid with us is just too high.

With where things are looking like going, it could well be some way into the New Year before we can risk going over now, and that's very much down to the way in which too many people have decided they can completely ignore the clear guidance that has been given in a number of areas. So be it, but don't expect me to have any sympathy for people that then complain they've suffered as a result of getting Covid as a direct result of their ignorance and stupidity.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

RoryMac wrote: »

You don’t need go into history to a time where life is cheap.

It’s cheap all over the world, especially so in 3rd world countries where about 10 million starved to death this year.

Covid is a first world problem in the greater picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You can not keep people under house arrest. Even China with a sizeable army and pretty much zero regard for human rights only managed to lock up a couple of cities.
    Anyone calling for curfew and army on streets lives in cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It is widely accepted everywhere that baby boomers (IE those born between 1945 and 1965) are the wealthiest generation ever and there are many international statistics available (EG for USA: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-depressing-chart-shows-the-jaw-dropping-wealth-gap-between-millennials-and-boomers-2019-12-04 which also shows a deep skewing of figures over the years in favour of older people - "When baby boomers (born between 1946 and 1964) hit a median age of 35 in 1990, they collectively owned 21% of the nation’s wealth....Indeed, at a median age of 35, Gen Xers owned just 9% of the nation’s wealth in 2008 — less than half what boomers had at that age. And millennials will have to triple their net worth in the next four years to catch up to Generation X at 35, and increase their wealth sevenfold to catch up to boomers at that age."

In total https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/08/baby-boomers-wealth-is-12-times-greater-compared-to-millennials.html

"Baby boomers’ wealth is 12 times greater compared to millennials."

In Ireland: https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0717/1153882-millennial-and-covid-19/

"He said: "Young adults, those around the age of 30 have gone from about 70% owning their own home [in 1991] to about 30%.""

Haha, you think average young people owned their own homes in the 90s :)
    We didn't , and mortgages in the 90s were flying up from 13.5% to16% at one stage.
    You can't blame a whole generation for a whole load of bankers, government and stockbrokers issues that were beyond their control .
    No one had it easy , you can relax !

• Advertisement

46 Long wrote: »
    It's not 'stupidity', it's human nature.

People worried sick about a virus and living under varying for degrees of lockdown for months at a time see a coffee shop across the road and decide to treat themselves to one of the few pleasures left that NPHET haven't taken away from us.

It's pretty much stupidity or just selfishness if you're going for a test for covid and then go into a cafe to order a cup of coffee.
    The garage in a village near us and one of the pubs has been shut down because the owner of the garage went into work while waiting on the results of their test and to the pub to celebrate after a local match.
    Test came back positive. All his staff tested positive since and three of the pub staff also. Heard yesterday that the owner of the pub is looking to see if there is anyway legally that they can go after him for loss of earnings.
    I don't think that the pub owners will get anywhere with this but locally he's dirt now apparently and it isn't going to do his business any favors once it opens again.
    If he had passed it on unknowingly people would be sympathetic, but not when he acted the c*nt and didn't follow the guidelines given.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeyV wrote: »

Its a fancy private hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

What's ironic is I see a handful of cases per day from the Chinese who started this whole thing yet life has returned to normal there it appears.

As if you can believe figures coming from China. They don't exactly cherish free speech.

You don’t need go into history to a time where life is cheap.

It’s cheap all over the world, especially so in 3rd world countries where about 10 million starved to death this year.

Covid is a first world problem in the greater picture

People in the first world should help pay for the vaccine for people in third world countries. This is a global pandemic. Some things are more important than money.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

School in Ashbourne being closed from tomorrow because of a number of positive cases across the school.

People in the first world should help pay for the vaccine for people in third world countries. This is a global pandemic. Some things are more important than money.

Really I think in a lot of third world countries covid is just another disease to add to a very very long list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Haha, you think average young people owned their own homes in the 90s :)
    We didn't , and mortgages in the 90s were flying up from 13.5% to16% at one stage.
    You can't blame a whole generation for a whole load of bankers, government and stockbrokers issues that were beyond their control .
    No one had it easy , you can relax !

Yes I do think the average young person owned their own home in 1991. 68.4% of people aged 25 to 34 marked down on the 1991 census that they owned their own home, compared with 30% in 2016.

Source: http://publicpolicy.ie/papers/housing-in-ireland-changing-trends-in-headship-rates-and-tenure-by-age-group/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

DubInMeath wrote: »
    It's pretty much stupidity or just selfishness if you're going for a test for covid and then go into a cafe to order a cup of coffee.
    The garage in a village near us and one of the pubs near us has been shut down because the owner of the garage went into work while waiting on the results of their test and to the pub to celebrate after a local match.
    Test came back positive. All his staff tested positive since and three of the pub staff also. Heard yesterday that the owner of the pub is looking to see if there is anyway legally that they can go after him for loss of earnings.
    I don't think that the pub owners will get anywhere with this but locally he's dirt now apparently and it isn't going to do his business any favors once it opens again.
    If he had passed it on unknowingly people would be sympathetic, but not when he acted the c*nt and didn't follow the guidelines given.

There's been a nasty re-emergence of the vindictive curtain-twitchers since this whole thing started. Anyone who makes a mistake or a lapse in judgement is now 'dirt' and we jump straight to thinking about legal action to punish the slightest transgression.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

HeyV wrote: »
    It’s a private hospital. Admissions there are mostly elective scheduled admissions. It does have an emergency department but it’s not open 24 hours. Closed at night and on Sundays and bank holidays. Was operating a phone triage for a period during last few months and not accepting any walk ins. Allowing walk in patients again since August. It has cared for some patients with Covid but not very many as does not have a 24 hour ED with open access to all.

• Advertisement

Really I think in a lot of third world countries covid is just another disease to add to a very very long list.

So let's just not help them??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement