Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Yes we get it, you are brain washed. It doesn’t mean the rest of us have to join in and indulge your delusions.

The person who's anti-vax and believes belarus is freer than ireland calling other people delusional. The absolute irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ignacius

Yes I know I’m winning the argument thanks. Covid Lynch mobs have an uncanny similar pattern and set of mob like behaviour- none of which you debunked I note

COVID lynch mobs. Do they wear a uniform? Do they charge a membership fee?
    Lockdowns have been hard on people. I don’t think we should go back to a full lockdown but I reckon people’s health should be protected. If some restrictions have to be put in place and they can be justified then so be it.
    Who has been lynched so far by the mob? Gemma O’Doherty The head the ball per chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP100 wrote: »
    School in Ashbourne being closed from tomorrow because of a number of positive cases across the school.

Yet schools are safe, no clusters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

JP100 wrote: »
    School in Ashbourne being closed from tomorrow because of a number of positive cases across the school.

What school is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I hope parents and teachers do something, the government won't.

• Advertisement

The person who's anti-vax and believes belarus is freer than ireland calling other people delusional. The absolute irony.

Ah a specific type of idiot, should have known the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

growleaves wrote: »
    I'm the one who stole Fungie the dolphin.

I'll give him back when we revert to Level 2, not before.

Which Fungie have you taken?

I'd forego my 2% pay increase to give a hand out to the misfortunate people on PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'll be honest I'm just keeping away from people in general and washing my hands as much as possible, these rising numbers are still not a good sign and realistically there needs to be a lockdown of sorts. What it needs is to be balanced in terms of economics so any workplace that can stay open with social distancing and effective hygiene practises should stay open. A total lockdown should not happen unless the health service is in serious danger of collapse but there does need to be restrictions as much as people hate this.

The shops should not close but should limit the numbers of people to keep things at least manageable, they've been successful in avoiding clusters so should continue to do so. Would be nice if Gyms could stay open as well if only with reduced numbers even as I haven't heard of any problems with them so far. That being said pubs and restaurants are unfortunately in the high risk category and are ultimately going to be forced to close again as painful as it is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

eagle eye wrote: »
    He's not brainwashed, he's talking perfect sense.

You in the other hand are coming across as a member of the unread, uneducated who think they are intelligent.

Another poster that dishes out the insults (to shut down any debate or contrary opinion) but needless to say fails to debunk anything I’ve actually said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

creepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-i-m-condescending-that-means-i-talk-down-to-you-19e0d5.jpg?w=100

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Interesting discussion about WW2.

They did a comprehensive study that has indicated that second-generation population of the Troubles experienced long-lasting impacts of that conflict due to traumatic memories passed on by parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Hilarious. Well done. You obviously don't have a clue or you wouldn't post such nonsense.

Thanks. Appreciate the positive feedback from such a medical expert and gentleman like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Interesting discussion about WW2.

They did a comprehensive study that has indicated that second-generation population of the Troubles experienced long-lasting impacts of that conflict due to traumatic memories passed on by parents.

Sounds a bit like Family Constellations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Another poster that dishes out the insults (to shut down any debate or contrary opinion) but needless to say fails to debunk anything I’ve actually said.

You’re in no position to complain about insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yeah like sending millions of young men to their death!

Give over with the romantic view of the past, lives were far less cherished back then

Off topic but just on this, I remember around 2002 ( might be a year or two out ) and I was in Shannon waiting to board a plane to the canaries for a piss up with my mates, we were early twenties. Announcement came on to stand aside that the US Army were coming through after stopping to fuel up.

There was a buzz around and everyone stood back waiting to see these navy seals , action men that we all see in the movies. The doors opened and what walked passed was one of the saddest things iv ever seen. It was like a school tour, like a couple of classes of secondary school kids in fancy dress army gear. All laughing and messing being sent as lambs to slaughter not even knowing what they were losing their lives for.

It was the biggest eye opener of my life about war.

Anyway, off topic but il never forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

joeguevara wrote: »
    Unless you had a hoof it didn’t effect you. Hardly going to stop you shaking hands. But all imports and exports of animals was literally introduced overnight. All Ireland’s and 6 nations cancelled immediately. Saint Patrick’s day parades kaput. Bone fires of people’s entire herds which they had bred for generations lit up the night sky’s. Army snipers literally in the countryside blitzing wild deer like an arcade game.

If you think that if we had Covid in 2001, we wouldn’t have locked down, it’s an unfounded statement. But people weren’t moaning that it’s effecting their rugrats not seeing a marching band in the parade or no marches from countless farmers being ordered to burn everything.

So you would agree then that FMD in 2001 is not comparable to covid then?

Which was my point btw. The control measures were significant different at a personal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

An interesting thing is actually how many more people there are in critical condition globally than the previous peak in April, and despite that a lower number of deaths. Shows how much better hospitals all around the world have become at treating patients and saving lives. In April around 50k people globally were in ICU, about half of them in Europe. Now 72k, much more spread out around the globe now obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yep Ashbourne area very high rate per population, Schools are riddled and It includes Ratoath. which won (or lost( some gaa match so needed a mega session to celebrate/ drown sorrows.But its ok schools safe so continue as usual

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Ban off sales for the 6 weeks we are locked down. "But the youngsters will just take drugs". They will of course. But with alcohol sales outlawed now, when you phone the gardai about the raging party next door, they don't need any "special powers". Reasonable suspicion of prohibited substances is enough to search both property and all in it. Do this frequently, Run the little rat baxtards off out into the countryside, the message will sink in alright.

• Advertisement

Ban off sales for the 6 weeks we are locked down. "But the youngsters will just take drugs". They will of course. But with alcohol sales outlawed now, when you phone the gardai about the raging party next door, they don't need any "special powers". Reasonable suspicion of prohibited substances is enough to search both property and all in it. Do this frequently, Run the little rat baxtards off out into the countryside, the message will sink in alright.

Off licenses have to be kept open to make sure the alcoholics don't get alcohol withdrawal syndrome and clog up the hospitals. It's a public health issue. Alcohol withdrawal can kill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Off licenses have to be kept open to make sure the alcoholics don't get alcohol withdrawal syndrome and clog up the hospitals. It's a public health issue. Alcohol withdrawal can kill.

Dispense from chemist's if need be in specific instances. Otherwise tough ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Just a thought --

Is there any provision for some kind of "travel pass" whereby you visit your local station (Garda), describe your intended trip and seek a stamped pass that will get you through checkpoints.

If not, one might attempt to travel through several counties, with a reason that satisfies the first few checkpoints, only to be told to turn back by the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i've read that new zealand closed many off licences, i'm sure if we were serious about it we could see how they done it. but I feel like this is just another pointless debate people are having and it's not gonna happen either way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

When the leak happened a couple of weeks back about level 5, didn't the Government give NPHET grief about causing stress and anxiety as people went to sleep not knowing what was coming and fears about moving up a level? Two weeks later and the people are in the same position based on the Government lining everything up before telling the people. A classic case of do as I say and not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

flanna01 wrote: »
    Too be honest... I couldn't give two flying hoots about the mental health of the population at the moment.. (I know... Sounds harsh)

Back in 2008 before the banks crashed, I sat back and watched countless 18 to 20yr olds roll up to work in their brand new cars... All living the dream, all sporting the latest techno gadgets... Robed in branded designer clothing..

I thought to myself.. These snowflakes will crumble at the first sign of hardship.. Never seen a beanz on toast dinner, awaiting the Lords Day (Payday)

Now, over a decade later.. That generation are finding it difficult to deal with life's challenges, never been used of hard days...

The elderly are made of tougher stuff.. They won't flinch at a virus. Give these guys some credit, most of them were brought up during or after WW2, these guys wouldn't have seen a new pair of shoes growing up, let alone a new car and visa card.... Give me a break!

The youth of today (not all granted), overall failed miserabley to do their bit to offset the virus.. basically by staying at home with their playstations and smart phones..

The elderly did their bit by manning the front lines as cannon fodder...

Yep... They'll manage this alright..

Ok boomer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Just a thought --

Is there any provision for some kind of "travel pass" whereby you visit your local station (Garda), describe your intended trip and seek a stamped pass that will get you through checkpoints.

If not, one might attempt to travel through several counties, with a reason that satisfies the first few checkpoints, only to be told to turn back by the next one.

And here I was bemoaning curtain-twitchers when it's really a totalitarian police state ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

delly wrote: »
    When the leak happened a couple of weeks back about level 5, didn't the Government give NPHET grief about causing stress and anxiety as people went to sleep not knowing what was coming and fears about moving up a level? Two weeks later and the people are in the same position based on the Government lining everything up before telling the people. A classic case of do as I say and not as I do.

I don’t understand why they are doing this. All the drip feeding information causes huge anxiety. The affects it is having on mental health is enormous.
    Surely it would have been better to enforce level 3 properly eg with fines and garda powers before increasing restrictions. The HSE has had months to prepare. It’s disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

So if it goes to level 4 do people believe it will be from midnight or give a day or 2 notice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

i've read that new zealand closed many off licences, i'm sure if we were serious about it we could see how they done it. but I feel like this is just another pointless debate people are having and it's not gonna happen either way.

Have you a source on that?
    From what I can see it was classed as an essential item in NZ.
    https://theconversation.com/alcohol-can-make-coronavirus-worse-so-why-was-it-treated-as-essential-in-new-zealands-lockdown-137698

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement