Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

delly wrote: »
    When the leak happened a couple of weeks back about level 5, didn't the Government give NPHET grief about causing stress and anxiety as people went to sleep not knowing what was coming and fears about moving up a level? Two weeks later and the people are in the same position based on the Government lining everything up before telling the people. A classic case of do as I say and not as I do.

NHPET aren't running the country.

At least we have a heads up now from those who make the final decision.

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I don’t understand why they are doing this. All the drip feeding information causes huge anxiety. The affects it is having on mental health is enormous.
    Surely it would have been better to enforce level 3 properly eg with fines and garda powers before increasing restrictions. The HSE has had months to prepare. It’s disheartening.

No laws to enforce the restrictions unfortunately.

Civil liberties blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Well the Government is leaking it's decision

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-plans-level-4-plus-restrictions-for-up-to-a-month-1.4384517
    Government sources ....elevating the State to Level 4 status with some additional measures

The timescale would apparently be 3 to 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rrrrrr2 wrote:
    Another poster that dishes out the insults (to shut down any debate or contrary opinion) but needless to say fails to debunk anything I’ve actually said.
    It's a waste of time debunking something when the person hasn't the aptitude to take it in.
    In your mind you can never be wrong no matter what's put in front of you.

SPDUB wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-plans-level-4-plus-restrictions-for-up-to-a-month-1.4384517

Government sources?

We all know what's coming.

No point looking for a scapegoat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Have you a source on that?
    From what I can see it was classed as an essential item in NZ.
    https://theconversation.com/alcohol-can-make-coronavirus-worse-so-why-was-it-treated-as-essential-in-new-zealands-lockdown-137698

Depending on whether they were part of the licensing trust or not determined whether they closed or not. https://www.thejournal.ie/new-zealand-2-5075948-Apr2020/

This guy broke out of a quarantine hotel, using wire cutters to get through fences to get to a bottle shop. He was arrested. Wouldn’t mind but the nutter had only been in quarantine for 3 days.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-man-breaks-out-of-quarantine-facility-in-new-zealand-for-trip-to-the-off-licence-12025854

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ok boomer

He’s for the most part correct.

Stand to the side in a corner of a shopping center for 15 minutes and observe behaviors and interactions. I see it EVERY day now...

People who show the required behaviors in the ‘main’ are say early/mid/late 20’s up to mid/late 50’s. Teens / 60 plus year olds have plenty of examples where they need to buck up quite frankly.... really careless stuff.... kids about 17 - play fighting, hugging, zero distancing, fûcking huddled together outside Starbucks in Sutton Cross... for the 15 minutes I’m parked there. Masks down around their chin...

I’m looking in a shop window in Omni Park, a person comes up beside me, I’m guessing 75, two feet away, takes mask down, starts sneezing their fûcking head off and the only courtesy from them is to angle their head about 5 degrees away to to right... Jesus thanks !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

i've read that new zealand closed many off licences, i'm sure if we were serious about it we could see how they done it. but I feel like this is just another pointless debate people are having and it's not gonna happen either way.

We closed alot of things but kept off licences opened during the first lockdown, makes no sense. There's no point in a dry party and if this is where the spread is happening, make those parties dry as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We closed alot of things but kept off licences opened during the first lockdown, makes no sense. There's no point in a dry party and if this is where the spread is happening, make those parties dry as fcuk.

I'm only aware of 1 country that banned alcohol sales during the pandemic (South Africa) There's no way we would follow.
    It's too easy to obtain online, from the north or a booze cruise to the UK.
    It's a ridiculous concept.
    Probation caused the violent organised crime syndicates in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SPDUB wrote: »

With these leaks what is the point of the meeting? Obviously they were going to go ahead with it on Saturday
    What is the point of the 5 stage plan - total waste of money since the whole thing was thrown out the window a few days after it was announced
    All this dithering and dathering from this government is a discourtesy to the people - all the business and jobs hanging by a thread waiting on someone to actually make a decision and then left in limbo for days every time something is expected

And finally what is the point of anything if nothing can be enforced to start with

Complete omnishambles since this governmnent started - MM will have a lot to answer for in the future (but unlikely)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whatever Level 4+ is hopefully it doesn’t include this 5km bullshït. Absolute nonsense of the highest order when there’s Covid-19 cases in all corners of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You will have alcoholics showing up in hospitals due to withdrawal, which will further stress our already stressed medical system. On paper it may seem like a good idea, but in practice it will make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I think the genie is out of the bottle there dude, pardon the pun. If a prisoner with a plastic bag, a slice of bread and some form of sugar can brew alcohol then anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

marno21 wrote: »
    Whatever Level 4+ is hopefully it doesn’t include this 5km bullshït. Absolute nonsense of the highest order when there’s Covid-19 cases in all corners of the country.

The thinking behind is to limit the area people move about in and therefore limit the interactions they can potentially have and also if people generally stay within a shorter distance than 10-20k or county boundaries it's easier to identify where outbreaks are spreading from.

It's crude, but that's the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd say we are actually more likely to see the army on the streets or aliens invading before there's a ban on alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'm only aware of 1 country that banned alcohol sales during the pandemic (South Africa) There's no way we would follow.
    It's too easy to obtain online, from the north or a booze cruise to the UK.
    It's a ridiculous concept.
    Probation caused the violent organised crime syndicates in America.

Thailand went dry as well for a good while, no bars or off licences

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

fritzelly wrote: »
    With these leaks what is the point of the meeting? Obviously they were going to go ahead with it on Saturday
    What is the point of the 5 stage plan - total waste of money since the whole thing was thrown out the window a few days after it was announced
    All this dithering and dathering from this government is a discourtesy to the people - all the business and jobs hanging by a thread waiting on someone to actually make a decision and then left in limbo for days every time something is expected

And finally what is the point of anything if nothing can be enforced to start with

Complete omnishambles since this governmnent started - MM will have a lot to answer for in the future (but unlikely)

Nah , he'll be retired , and Leo will just pass the blame on to him.
    A crowd of useless f......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

growleaves wrote: »
    I'm the one who stole Fungie the dolphin.

I'll give him back when we revert to Level 2, not before.

Youve got practicaly zero cases down there. Just build a wall across the penisuls and call yourselves the republic of corca dhuibhne and you might get level 1.

If your good at bargaining with nephet/government and tell them your secret in managing to get near zero covid sure you can have the sam maguire.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I can’t see alcohol being banned... society would need to be on the verge of collapse for that to happen.

- alcohol is a serious revenue generator for the state. Approx 2.3 billion euros per annum according to DIGI (drinks industry group of Ireland)

- vintners and the pub trade have SERIOUS sway in political circles.

- social difficulties may manifest themselves surrounding people who are alcoholics and are dependent on alcohol.

- we pay the second highest tax on alcohol products in the EU. Only second to Finland. It’s a serious revenue gatherer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/schools-to-stay-open-but-shops-will-be-shut-39639517.html
    Schools and construction to stay open but shops to shut

And no enforcement
    We will be a complete outlier in terms of restrictions and no enforcement

Wtf like

• Advertisement

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Is this a misquote?

No that would be a " taking out of context " ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

This is all very confusing...

In two weeks time, I have hired someone to do a job for me. He lives 35km away from me. Does this mean he cannot do the job now?

As for the schools remaining open and the GAA still going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So about 14 of today's cases will be dead in three weeks (at about a 1.1% fatality rate and three week lag). That's ~100 deaths a week.

If it flattens out at somewhere, is there some upper bound we should be aiming for that pro-restrictions people would be happy with at which point we can reopen everything?

And is there a lower bound on the number of cases at which the anti-restrictions people would agree that collective action needs to be taken, like we did in March etc.?

Stheno wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/schools-to-stay-open-but-shops-will-be-shut-39639517.html
    Schools and construction to stay open but shops to shut

And no enforcement
    We will be a complete outlier in terms of restrictions and no enforcement

Wtf like

Whats the point - seriously - like FML

In twelve months if we have a vaccine and are clear of this will we wear masks if we have a flu to protect others?

In twelve months if we have a vaccine and are clear of this will we wear masks if we have a flu to protect others?

I will be burning them...like the bra's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I know I keep harping on about this but don't be surprised if cross neighbours of crazy parties going on beside them start taking the law into their own hands and sorting it out and I don't blame them as there will be no enforcement by the law.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

No, because flu is less dangerous and less infectious..but you can if you want .

fritzelly wrote: »
    I will be burning them...like the bra's

Whats the male equivalent of burning a bra?

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    No, because flu is less dangerous and less infectious..but you can if you want .

I thought flu was more dangerous but less infectious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement