Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Whats the male equivalent of burning a bra?

A gusset

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Burning your wife's bra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

In twelve months if we have a vaccine and are clear of this will we wear masks if we have a flu to protect others?

According to Bill Gates, normality will only return once 2nd generation vaccines are available. First gen are expected to only be partially effective and they haven't even been approved yet, let alone distributed.

If he's right - and I suspect he is - sooner or later we're going to have to face the fact that we need to actually live with Covid and that lockdown yoyo is not a sustainable or appropriate response to this.

Regardless, we'll all be wearing masks for a long, long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I thought flu was more dangerous but less infectious

Why did you think that and has it effected your approach to mitigating Covid? It is definitely an opinion that is being shared more and more so more and more people believe it. Honestly, I have no idea why people keep bringing Influenza into the Covid discussions. There are a few similarities but Covid 19 differs vastly in transmission and symptoms. Blood clots and strokes would never happen with flu but in various groups are increasingly common with Covid.

The death rate with influenza averages at 0.1% and Covid is averaging ten times higher than that. The issue is that we know how to control influenza and the vaccine assists in keeping the death rate low. With Covid the death rate will increase if hospitals are overwhelmed.

A lot of people believe that the influenza virus is way deadlier due to false information being shared. Most notable example is Mr. Trumps tweets and posts stating this which were subsequently removed for being false and misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stheno wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/schools-to-stay-open-but-shops-will-be-shut-39639517.html
    Schools and construction to stay open but shops to shut
    And no enforcement
    We will be a complete outlier in terms of restrictions and no enforcement

Wtf like

What is a "bubble"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What is a "bubble"

I have a feeling it's something like this

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There isn't much difference between 4 and 5 at all.

Had a little laugh that GAA championship will probably be allowed to continue, despite all the recent goings on and they're amateur so not bubbled and tested like professional sport. I'd like GAA to continue but I don't see how it does.

This also made absolutely no sense to me, household visits banned but allow families travel further during midterm ???

"Household visits will continue to be banned and people may be asked to remain within 10km of their home. Ministers are also considering 5km but this may be increased to 10km to allow families to travel further with children during the mid-term school break."

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/schools-to-stay-open-but-shops-will-be-shut-39639517.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Had a little laugh that GAA championship will probably be allowed to continue.

Elite things are allowed, so I guess all kids must be elites, and staff working within the education sector to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Another ****e day ahead with a ****e hollow speech from our esteemed leaders this evening

Tremendous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone know if the new restrictions will apply from midnight tonight or midnight Tuesday? Thanks.

JTMan wrote:
    Anyone know if the new restrictions will apply from midnight tonight or midnight Tuesday? Thanks.

No decisions yet, we ll know more later

Shutting non essential retail has to be the most pointless thing imaginable

I hope they have some cop on

Shutting non essential retail has to be the most pointless thing imaginable

What are they suppose to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Another ****e day ahead with a ****e hollow speech from our esteemed leaders this evening

Tremendous
    "The next two weeks are crucial"

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What are they suppose to do?

Not close something that has less than 0.1 impact on R rate according to latest UK sage report

No country in Europe is closing retail, it is bonkers and has no scientific backing.

No country in Europe is closing retail, it is bonkers and has no scientific backing.

Fair point, but they have to try something, what else can they do?

Not close something that has less than 0.1 impact on R rate according to latest UK sage report

Completely pointless and retail will be the first to reopen with Christmas coming. Even in countries that have increased restrictions retail remains open.

Your literally creating pent up demand for when they reopen, utterly pointless

Your literally creating pent up demand for when they reopen, utterly pointless

What's wrong with this?

• Advertisement

What's wrong with this?

Would you rather people are spread out over the next 2 months doing Xmas shopping or first week in December have a mass conversion on shops and shopping centres. Which is more dangerous at the moment ??

I would think its the situation where you've more people over a shorter space of time.

Would you rather people are spread out over the next 2 months doing Xmas shopping or first week in December have a mass conversion on shops and shopping centres. Which is more dangerous at the moment?

But if they staggered lockdowns, would this stagger hospitalisations?

But if they staggered lockdowns, would this stagger hospitalisations?

Not sure what exactly your point is.

Non essential retail was the first to reopen & doesn't appear to be the issue.

Why close it ? Just tell people to only stay local, shop local.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

JTMan wrote: »

I'd wager midnight Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Massively support moving to L5 restrictions myself but only if enforcement is made a priority otherwise utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

JTMan wrote: »

If they announce that non essential retail is closing and give a two day window, the panic loony Christmas shoppers will cause a spike in two weeks. Look at what happened in Smyths a couple of weeks ago because there was a mention of level five.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Just reading the last few pages and looking at the report in the independant, seems people want a level 5 lockdown but with shops schools and building sites and factories open.

Any word on a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Can't wait to see what they gonna come up with. Would bet any money, it's going to be another half arsed package of restrictions. I don't think there will be any enforcement of anything. But could be wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

Will sport be impacted by new restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

octsol wrote: »
    Will sport be impacted by new restrictions?

Yes. Depending on the restrictions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement