Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

octsol wrote: »
    Will sport be impacted by new restrictions?

Depends what the sport is and what level it's being played at

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We will be back to square one by the end of November this mish mash of rules won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I still believe all we really need is a massive effort to get people behind the simple stuff, Social distancing, washing hands. Without enforcement, any restrictions will be ignored by those who don't care, so make them care.

The "this is 2m" that was posted on pavements everywhere was hugely effective, but in my area at the very least they're totally worn away and need to be repainted. If people aren't seeing the message, they can't get it.

Why not a war time PR effort, posters on lamp posts, "Your country needs you....not to party", "Your country need you...to wash your hands"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Get over yourself. It was a joke.

Mine was too, get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

These restrictions, if they match what has been leaked, will have no impact on my family whatsoever. My kids will still be mixing with about 1200 other students and teachers and still allowed to see the grandparents. Is the virus OK with this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It really disturbs me how people can romanticize sending millions of teenage boys off to shoot, bomb and bayonet each other in the much as if it's some ideal to live up to.

Yeh, should have let Hitler have his way and let the nutjob take over.

You might have a point with WW1 but WW2 had to be fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

morebabies wrote: »
    These restrictions, if they match what has been leaked, will have no impact on my family whatsoever. My kids will still be mixing with about 1200 other students and teachers and still allowed to see the grandparents. Is the virus OK with this?

Virus says yes, as it is scared of schools, cant get through bubbles and pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fair point, but they have to try something, what else can they do?

Tackle the main cause of the spread: the GAA combined with post match celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tackle the main cause of the spread: the GAA combined with post match celebrations.

In a few cases, sure

You can't blame the gaa for every infection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the corpo wrote: »
    I still believe all we really need is a massive effort to get people behind the simple stuff, Social distancing, washing hands. Without enforcement, any restrictions will be ignored by those who don't care, so make them care.

The "this is 2m" that was posted on pavements everywhere was hugely effective, but in my area at the very least they're totally worn away and need to be repainted. If people aren't seeing the message, they can't get it.

Why not a war time PR effort, posters on lamp posts, "Your country needs you....not to party", "Your country need you...to wash your hands"?
    It's not that people don't know what's required due to a lack of signage etc, it's that they don't give a tupenny sh1te what the requirements are. Same way people know the speed limit is but regularly exceed it

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

In a few cases, sure

You can't blame the gaa for every infection

They triggered the initial spread into the wider community. It took root then. They need to own up to what they caused

Irish times : "However, there seemed to be general agreement the escalation in restrictions would not last six weeks. “It’s much too long and will not give anybody hope,” said one Minister."

Yeah let's see about that, we all know how this goes, 3 or 4 weeks and then oh we need 2 more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Infini wrote: »

Would be nice if Gyms could stay open as well if only with reduced numbers even as I haven't heard of any problems with them so far.

+1. Haven't heard anything at all about gyms. The gym I go to is often empty, I'm the only one there or perhaps two others who are across the hall. There's no interaction.

And when there are more people, it's restricted to 8 and you work out in a marked off area. Spray bottles to wipe equipment down. Hand sanitiser when you enter. Toilets are closed but there's a sink to wash your hands. Windows and doors are all open, there's always a breeze.

I really missed the gym last time and it took me ages to get back to the level I was at, I'm really hoping if they do close it'll be 3 weeks only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The GAA community (not the actual playing of games) has certainly been a contributor in recent weeks but are definitely not the "main cause".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Irish times : "However, there seemed to be general agreement the escalation in restrictions would not last six weeks. “It’s much too long and will not give anybody hope,” said one Minister."

Yeah let's see about that, we all know how this goes, 3 or 4 weeks and then oh we need 2 more weeks.

And then they start running out of road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭screamer

I honestly cannot see how level 4 plus or whatever they are talking about doing now is going to help. The virus was, in the spring spreading through closed environments in nursing homes etc. Now, it is rampant in the general population. There’s far more cases out there than testing is detecting, and with the lack of people following guidelines and indeed no enforcement of those guidelines, this thing will just spread and keep spreading, restrictions or not. 3 to 4 weeks won’t put a dent in the case numbers, and we cannot stay in this lockdown cycle. We’d be far better off to spend that money on giving out proper PPE to citizens and trying to get on with things. I think the horse has bolted in terms of controlling the spread of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The fixation with schools is bizzare. Why are Martin and Foley so adamant to make the daftest decision possible.

With the amount of community cases now it makes no sense to keep schools open. Even just extend/bring forward midterm for a week or two till numbers drop and then re-open but leaving them as is looks odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just a thought --

Is there any provision for some kind of "travel pass" whereby you visit your local station (Garda), describe your intended trip and seek a stamped pass that will get you through checkpoints.

If not, one might attempt to travel through several counties, with a reason that satisfies the first few checkpoints, only to be told to turn back by the next one.

No checkpoint can tell you to turn back.

+1. Haven't heard anything at all about gyms. The gym I go to is often empty, I'm the only one there or perhaps two others who are across the hall. There's no interaction.

And when there are more people, it's restricted to 8 and you work out in a marked off area. Spray bottles to wipe equipment down. Hand sanitiser when you enter. Toilets are closed but there's a sink to wash your hands. Windows and doors are all open, there's always a breeze.

I really missed the gym last time and it took me ages to get back to the level I was at, I'm really hoping if they do close it'll be 3 weeks only.
    From reading poster experiences, chatting to people in RL and from seeing this in my own gym they really have taken it very seriously as have the members. Sadly, that may not be enough despite the enormous well-being they bring, I expect them to have to close.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    The fixation with schools is bizzare. Why are Martin and Foley so adamant to make the daftest decision possible.

With the amount of community cases now it makes no sense to keep schools open. Even just extend/bring forward midterm for a week or two till numbers drop and then re-open but leaving them as is looks odd.

The mid-term is at the end of this week so it could be argued that there's a natural "circuit breaker" already built in.

is_that_so wrote: »
    From reading poster experiences, chatting to people in RL and from seeing this in my own gym they really have taken it very seriously as have the members. Sadly, that may not be enough despite the enormous well-being they bring, I expect them to have to close.

Yup my own gym only reopened 2 weeks ago, took them longer as they were making changes to create more space, knocked a few walls and created more spacious areas, removed the studios and created a very large open plan floor.

There's only been around 20 max any time I've gone even at what would have previously been very busy times.

They have a cleaner all day going around wiping down equipment but everyone is doing it themselves, everything you need to wipe down the equipment signposted and easily available throughout the gym.

All very well run and I've not felt unsafe at all, felt safer than when they were open in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Just another two weeks, just another 4 weeks, if you all behave you can have Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I dont see the Ro dropping below 1.0 with schools open and some colleges. Theirs students living in accommodation and travelling home at weekends too. Level 4 for probably 4 weeks and Im not sure it will have the impact people are expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

wadacrack wrote: »
    I dont see the Ro dropping below 1.0 with schools open and some colleges. Theirs students living in accommodation and travelling home at weekends too. Level 4 for probably 4 weeks and Im not sure it will have the impact people are expecting

Yup, have to agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

You can't stay young forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Massively support moving to L5 restrictions myself but only if enforcement is made a priority otherwise utterly pointless.

How to lose public support in five easy steps:

- Ignore the WHO and close down most of the country, shuttering businesses and putting people out of work. It didn't work the last time but sure look, we might as well give it another go. It's always good to redouble efforts long after the original aim is forgotten.

- Expect the newly unemployed to pay the mortgage/rent, put food on the table and cover all other expenses on €300 a week.

- Introduce nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions designed to suck what little joy still exists out of our lives. Tell people they can't visit their family at home but outdoor pints with the lads are fine lol

- Make sure you change the nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions every other week just to keep people on their toes. Introduce an ostensibly clear five level plan but then start randomly mixing and matching bits from different levels. After a while you might want to start relaxing things a little and allow outdoor meetings of up to four people from two different households on the 3rd Tuesday of every month for 30 minutes at a time in the presence of a benevolent junta NPHET representative.

- Start fining any noncompliance with the the nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions. Encourage children to report their parents for not wearing masks and recruit the local curtain-twitchers to do neighborhood patrols with two metre long measuring sticks to make sure everyone is correctly socially-distanced. Better yet, start rounding them up and slapping offenders with 6 month sentences in already grotesquely over-crowded prisons. That'll really help slow the spread of a highly infectious disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They will have to address childcare .Every second child in our local school is picked up by a minder .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

46 Long wrote: »
    How to lose public support in five easy steps:

- Ignore the WHO and close down most of the country, shuttering businesses and putting people out of work. It didn't work the last time but sure look, we might as well give it another go. It's always good to redouble efforts long after the original aim is forgotten.

- Expect the newly unemployed to pay the mortgage/rent, put food on the table and cover all other expenses on €300 a week.

- Introduce nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions designed to suck what little joy still exists out of our lives. Tell people they can't visit their family at home but outdoor pints with the lads are fine lol

- Make sure you change the nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions every other week just to keep people on their toes. Introduce an ostensibly clear five level plan but then start randomly mixing and matching bits from different levels. After a while you might want to start relaxing things a little and allow outdoor meetings of up to four people from two different households on the 3rd Tuesday of every month for 30 minutes at a time in the presence of a benevolent junta NPHET representative.

- Start fining any noncompliance with the the nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions. Encourage children to report their parents for not wearing masks and recruit the local curtain-twitchers to do neighborhood patrols with two metre long measuring sticks to make sure everyone is correctly socially-distanced. Better yet, start rounding them up and slapping offenders with 6 month sentences in already grotesquely over-crowded prisons. That'll really help slow the spread of a highly infectious disease.

Chill man. Just chill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They will have to address childcare .Every second child in our local school is picked up by a minder .

How?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement