Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Family member was due to marry on Sunday coming with 25 people.

If we go to Level 4/5 today, does that immediately mean the wedding is a 6 person affair? When Donegal went to L4, announcement made on Wednesday, weddings that weekend were unaffected according to the Taoiseach.

I can't attend anyway unfortunately as we're in different counties and cannot travel for it, but majority of her guests are local to her.

Presumably yes, particularly as the restrictions are going to come in much earlier in the week than Cavan/Donegal/Monaghan.

But it's a wait and see approach until we know more I suppose. Which won't be till this evening when this thread will have reached peak crazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rob316 wrote: »
    It's so sad that people support killing our economy for no reason other than because NPHET recommend it. SAGE in the UK said it would make no difference and pinpointed schools as a major issue.

Retail has done everything asked of it and ensured it's the most compliant sector.

TBF Retail need to tidy up a bit from what I have seen, I'm been in some fairly uncomfortable packed stores in the past few weeks. But I agree closing most retail is daft.

RE schools, how they can remain at full capacity when it's established fact now contact tracing has collapsed is a complete mystery. That would be at best wreckless.

Some media suggesting a decision on them has still to be reached by cabinet.

I imagine the unions will get a lot more vocal this week as they have been asking some very pertinent questions the past few months but have been pretty much ignored.

What is very much certain, we will have Martin on at 9 o'clock tonight fumbling and fúcking from the podium about "clarity".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

circadian wrote: »
    This, out in the car with the other half a few days ago and we saw several different large groups of older teenagers maurading around. She just said "we don't stand a chance, do we?"

I saw a few Garda cars around over the weekend, including squad cars and the weird "GARDA" emblazoned Renault people carriers. Are they actually doing anything to stop those crowds of kids or are they just out for a potter enjoying the scenery of suburban South County Dublin?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Boggles wrote: »

What is very much certain, we will Martin on at 9 o'clock tonight fumbling and fúcking from the podium about "clarity".

Oh sh1te I forgot we will likely get another national address. God I'm sick of them right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Nonsense. Not the main cause and already tackled by the GAA anyway.

It's not nonsense. The GAA has been the cause of huge spread of the virus. That should have been all cancelled until next year. They have alot to answer for running their meaningless and pointless stupid local games that the majority of the country don't give a f**k about. They have been an absolute disgrace through all of this along with their cronies aka fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Just sit at home and watch netflix will probably get an airing alot

I don't know if it's my choices but I find netflix offerings kinda poor of late.
    Would have enjoyed it 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's so sad that people support killing our economy for no reason other than because NPHET recommend it. SAGE in the UK said it would make no difference and pinpointed schools as a major issue.

Retail has done everything asked of it and ensured it's the most compliant sector.

Closing non essential retail is f**king bananas. Idiocy however is something I have come to expect from those in charge in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

If we go to Level 4/5 today, does that immediately mean the wedding is a 6 person affair? When Donegal went to L4, announcement made on Wednesday, weddings that weekend were unaffected according to the Taoiseach.

I can't attend anyway unfortunately as we're in different counties and cannot travel for it, but majority of her guests are local to her.

Who knows?

It'll be a ridiculous mish-mash of levels, poorly communicated and not even the government will be 100% clear on what people are supposed to do.

IMO they should actually enforce some of the level 3 restrictions, EG Gardaí should have power to turn people around at checkpoints, on the spot fines for not wearing a mask, mandatory quarantine if you've had a test, and so on. Perhaps tackle the likes of this clown in the news this morning who infected 50 odd people.

And at the same time do the major public education campaign suggested by poster, the corpo, above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

manniot2 wrote: »
    A complete master stroke by the establishment. How people lap it up is beyond me, I guess its just fear.

It is fear but the people who live in fear aren't blameless either.
    they are idiots. Given the governments and previous government history of mismanagement ,scandal and fcuk ups to blindly follow them and RTE is mind boggling.

With all the information to hand these days to display such lack of interest in getting a balanced view is morally criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

shocksy wrote: »
    It's not nonsense. The GAA has been the cause if huge spread of the virus. That should have been all cancelled until next year. They have alot to answer for running their meaningless and pointless stupid local games that the majority if the country don't give a f**k about. They have been an absolute disgrace through all of this along with their cronies aka fans.

It's a pointless argument anyway. We all saw that the post match carry on was a big issue - the GAA took action and stopped all the club matches.

And before you blather on about the inter county matches - these are entirely different affairs altogether with a much lower risk profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

is_that_so wrote: »
    No rapid tests have been signed off on as accurate enough, primarily by de Gascun I'd imagine. They'd need to be close to the PCR level of accuracy and they are not.

Where is that cherubic cheeked angel d’Gascun these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Between no enforcement of mask wearing and staff often not even wearing a mask properly or not even at all...how do you come up with the opinion that retail has been compliant? Have you even been to a shop? Doesn't sound like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Between no enforcement of mask wearing and staff often not even wearing a mask properly or not even at all...how do you come up with the opinion that retail has been compliant? Have you even been to a shop? Doesn't sound like it.

Have you been to every shop in the country, you must have if you wish to make an equally blanket claim they're not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So we have five or six weeks of restrictions and schools remain open? Can anyone explain that one for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Boggles wrote: »
    TBF Retail need to tidy up a bit from what I have seen, I'm been in some fairly uncomfortable packed stores in the past few weeks. But I agree closing most retail is daft.

RE schools, how they can remain at full capacity when it's established fact now contact tracing has collapsed is a complete mystery. That would be at best wreckless.

Some media suggesting a decision on them has still to be reached by cabinet.

I imagine the unions will get a lot more vocal this week as they have been asking some very pertinent questions the past few months but have been pretty much ignored.

What is very much certain, we will have Martin on at 9 o'clock tonight fumbling and fúcking from the podium about "clarity".

529783.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

RGARDINR wrote: »
    So if it goes to level 4 do people believe it will be from midnight or give a day or 2 notice?

From Wednesday on I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So we have five or six weeks of restrictions and schools remain open? Can anyone explain that one for me?

Its from the same big brains that brought us lockdown version 1.0 where I couldn't play golf but every Yankee doodle or Brit could enter the country and go county hopping on the their jollies.

Its science maaaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

is_that_so wrote: »
    The signed off bit is correct! That has also been his position on accuracy. You need to take it up with him.

Thankfully there's a wide variety of opinions at an international level and not just one to be swallowed here at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

You can watch MM attempt to later today. I suggest a pillow to scream into afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

paw patrol wrote: »
    I don't know if it's my choices but I find netflix offerings kinda poor of late.
    Would have enjoyed it 6 months ago.

Watch To The Lake. Russian thing about a pandemic. Kirill the Sniffer is in it, which I confess is why I watched it. It will make you think things ain't so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

298 confirmed cases in hospital, 23 in, 8 out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Spot on. Retail have not done what was asked of them. Most staff in supermarkets aren't even wearing masks or as you say they're wearing them below the nose etc. No longer much control on how many people enters the store apart from the likes of Lidl and Aldi that have a system that automatically locks the doors when it reaches capacity.

They also don't check the hand sanitisers regularly either, because on multiple occasions they have always been empty, they also don't have any staff member beside them making sure all customers use them anymore. They have become way to relaxed and not just the supermarkets, but the smaller stores too, Dealz and stores similar to them along with clothes retail stores too.

So in fact the retail sector has failed spectacularly in the past couple of months and they should be closed in the wake of new restrictions.

46 Long wrote: »
    How to lose public support in five easy steps:

- Ignore the WHO and close down most of the country, shuttering businesses and putting people out of work. It didn't work the last time but sure look, we might as well give it another go. It's always good to redouble efforts long after the original aim is forgotten.

- Expect the newly unemployed to pay the mortgage/rent, put food on the table and cover all other expenses on €300 a week.

- Introduce nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions designed to suck what little joy still exists out of our lives. Tell people they can't visit their family at home but outdoor pints with the lads are fine lol

- Make sure you change the nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions every other week just to keep people on their toes. Introduce an ostensibly clear five level plan but then start randomly mixing and matching bits from different levels. After a while you might want to start relaxing things a little and allow outdoor meetings of up to four people from two different households on the 3rd Tuesday of every month for 30 minutes at a time in the presence of a benevolent junta NPHET representative.

- Start fining any noncompliance with the the nonsensical, Kafka-esque restrictions. Encourage children to report their parents for not wearing masks and recruit the local curtain-twitchers to do neighborhood patrols with two metre long measuring sticks to make sure everyone is correctly socially-distanced. Better yet, start rounding them up and slapping offenders with 6 month sentences in already grotesquely over-crowded prisons. That'll really help slow the spread of a highly infectious disease.

The WHO have said Lockdown as sole strategy to suppress virus will not work. But have acknowledged when virus is out of control in terms of transmission, that it makes sense to use it get numbers down, but only if a wider strategy is developed once numbers stabilize I.E. improve ITTIC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

shocksy wrote: »
    So in fact the retail sector has fail spectacularly in the past couple of months and they should be closed in the wake of new restrictions.

yeh remember all those shop clusters that were being reported /sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The staff in my local small supermarket were not wearing a mask when I went in recently. It's completely stupid, they're putting customers off. I presume they think they will be excluded from any restrictions while the hairdressers across the road with everyone masked and PPE'd will have to close. Infuriating.

We've zero enforcement as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Closing non essential retail is f**king bananas. Idiocy however is something I have come to expect from those in charge in this country.

I don't think they want to but they have backed themselves into a corner with this level craic and the way the whole thing has played out with NPHET politically they have to roll with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

The WHO have said Lockdown as sole strategy to suppress virus will not work. But have acknowledged when virus is out of control in terms of transmission, that it makes sense to use it get numbers down, but only if a wider strategy is developed once numbers stabilize I.E. improve ITTIC

And this is were it all falls down government test and trace is practically non existing. It will be rinse and repeat unless we get that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Details will be announced about tonight. Probably start from 00:00 Thursday, and maybe 3 days grace for weddings and funerals; Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

There'll be a longer lead-in to implementation because anything tighter than we have right now will require things like the ban on evictions, mandatory mortgage holidays, enhanced PUP, etc, to be put back in place.

It could even be Thursday or Friday before it kicks in, to give retailers a week to lock up their shops/sell off stock.

My gut feeling is that this is a mistake and without the right messaging they're setting this up to fail as people ignore the restrictions and do whatever they like.

People are going to panic buy from online retailers like Amazon, so even if we do get a relaxation before Xmas, Irish shops are going to see a Xmas several times worse than the trough of the recession. Many will be forced to close permanently.

The numbers (IMO) aren't bad enough to warrant this. I may change my tune though when the swab data comes out this afternoon.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

This right here is what is driving the pandemic. We urgently need legislation that acts as deterrent for people to interact with others when they have symptoms. The overdispersion theory once again rings true, a superspreader event drives up the numbers, it is the number one constant in all this. You could attend a party with 50 others and one person that is infectious results in 45 infections, we need to stop these people causing outbreaks to control this. A minority of people result are responsible majority of outbreaks.

'A growing number of studies estimate that a majority of infected people may not infect a single other person. A recent paper found that in Hong Kong, which had extensive testing and contact tracing, about 19 percent of cases were responsible for 80 percent of transmission, while 69 percent of cases did not infect another person. This finding is not rare: Multiple studies from the beginning have suggested that as few as 10 to 20 percent of infected people may be responsible for as much as 80 to 90 percent of transmission, and that many people barely transmit it.'

The disease pattern is not deterministic i e. Linear, it's stochastic

The most recent data also suggests that only 20% of people are truly asymptomatic throughout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement