Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

yeh remember all those shop clusters that were being reported /sarcasm

Oh get a grip, like it's that easy to say a cluster was formed in Tesco at say 4pm on a Tuesday evening. Ridiculous response from you. They can't even keep up with regular contact tracing and as such that has collapsed, and they certainly don't have a clue when an outbreak occurs in a public setting, hence why it's called a community transmission that can't be located or explained.

If you're gonna post in the thread I suggest you stop posting absolute scutter. I'll leave you to do that in your jacks ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

shocksy wrote: »
    They also don't check the hand sanitisers regularly either, because on multiple occasions they have always been empty

4j0fi5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Necro wrote: »
    Oh sh1te I forgot we will likely get another national address. God I'm sick of them right now :(

Yes and soon afterwards MM will say the messaging is very clear and there should be no confusion.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I am still wondering if overall we would have been better off if we had moved to Level 5 for 4 weeks (even 6 if necessary) when NPHET said we should. With proper financial supports etc.
    Instead of slowly increasing the restrictions.

I feel that even if the Government bring in Level 4+ today but leave Construction, Schools etc open, allow GAA to continue together with zero enforcement that it just won't be enough and will lead to Level 5 for a much longer period.

I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

I don't understand why they bothered spending time, money and effort on a 5-level system, if we are now going to "level 4 plus"- more pointless confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Between no enforcement of mask wearing and staff often not even wearing a mask properly or not even at all...how do you come up with the opinion that retail has been compliant? Have you even been to a shop? Doesn't sound like it.

Plenty and my business is retail. The number of people wearing masks without a legit exemption is absolutely tiny, not enough to make a difference. But you will pick the negative not the more than vast majority that are wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

rob316 wrote: »
    Plenty and my business is retail. The number of people wearing masks without a legit exemption is absolutely tiny

I've yet to hear what constitutes a legitimate exemption..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

seamus wrote: »
    Details will be announced about tonight. Probably start from 00:00 Thursday, and maybe 3 days grace for weddings and funerals; Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

There'll be a longer lead-in to implementation because anything tighter than we have right now will require things like the ban on evictions, mandatory mortgage holidays, enhanced PUP, etc, to be put back in place.

It could even be Thursday or Friday before it kicks in, to give retailers a week to lock up their shops/sell off stock.

My gut feeling is that this is a mistake and without the right messaging they're setting this up to fail as people ignore the restrictions and do whatever they like.

People are going to panic buy from online retailers like Amazon, so even if we do get a relaxation before Xmas, Irish shops are going to see a Xmas several times worse than the trough of the recession. Many will be forced to close permanently.

The numbers (IMO) aren't bad enough to warrant this. I may change my tune though when the swab data comes out this afternoon.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. The vast majority of people will adhere to the whatever restrictions they have in place to the best of their ability.Then others will wilfully disobey them. Even if they put out the clearest and most concise roadmap and reasoning, there will be a sizeable majority thinking they are amazing my saying Me Hole repeatedly. Others will continue to say that the Covid is a scam and others will say, why should i adhere if tourists are arriving.

The issue is nothing to do with the Government. It is to do with people disobeying the straightforward recommendations. Chortling to themselves about no enforcement etc.

If people followed the basic rules, we can continue. People should stop rabbiting on about wet pubs. trick or treating, shopping in River Island for Tshirts and just do their bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

IMO They should announce complete lockdown for 2/3 weeks starting Friday midnight.

AND

Complete lockdown for 2/3 weeks starting Jan 01 2021

AND

Complete lockdown for 2/3 weeks starting April 01 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I am still wondering if overall we would have been better off if we had moved to Level 5 for 4 weeks (even 6 if necessary) when NPHET said we should. With proper financial supports etc.
    Instead of slowly increasing the restrictions.

I feel that even if the Government bring in Level 4+ today but leave Construction, Schools etc open, allow GAA to continue together with zero enforcement that it just won't be enough and will lead to Level 5 for a much longer period.

I don't know.

Lockdown was pretty easy for 2 months when it was dry, go to the park, go for a walk, have a bbq out your back. Anymore than a few weeks won't be bearable this time when you are stuck inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

And this is were it all falls down government test and trace is practically non existing. It will be rinse and repeat unless we get that sorted.

The problem is with resources and strategy. PCR testing capacity is fantastic but use of antigen testing needs to be considered as an additional measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yes and soon afterwards MM will say the messaging is very clear and there should be no confusion.

Absolutely no confusion, what is there to be confused about.... we've given you the plan, we have the levels. This is a tweaking of the plan, but all very clear.

Don't mix households but form social bubbles, don't travel far but we want to ensure you can move around at midterm break and most of all don't forget that schools are absolutely safe.

Wouldn't be like the government to make a mess of communications

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

seamus wrote: »
    The numbers (IMO) aren't bad enough to warrant this. I may change my tune though when the swab data comes out this afternoon.

No one should change an opinion either way on just one day of "swab" numbers.

The trend is established and pretty clear, one swab data whether it's a 100 or 2000 won't change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

What happens in 4 weeks when cases and hospital numbers are the same ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

So we have five or six weeks of restrictions and schools remain open? Can anyone explain that one for me?

No airports closed either - it is utter nonsense. The hysteria over covid is absolutely pathetic. Literally nothing in any data suggests society should be shut down and rights or freedoms heavily curtailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You are assuming whatever incoherent rambling mess they come up with tonight will last 4 weeks.

I imagine MM will be back on the podium again within a fortnight giving us more "clarity".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

The poor doctors and nurses will be well rested and fed with Deliveroo, ready for the typically busy flu season :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Shelga wrote: »
    I don't understand why they bothered spending time, money and effort on a 5-level system, if we are now going to "level 4 plus"- more pointless confusion.

Well the answer to that is the same as all government spending, its not THEIR money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shelga wrote: »

FF do shiny meaningless PR

Nothing has changed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I've yet to hear what constitutes a legitimate exemption..

I'm sure people have an excuse but I haven't seen a good one. My own skin is crap when masked too much but I can just pull it on to go into a shop. I would struggle to wear all day outdoors or similar. Thankfully I don't work in close contact with anyone so don't need one for work.

I saw a security man telling someone on saturday. "If you can't wear a face mask wear a face shield. It's not perfect but will stop you spitting all over people when you talk."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

schmoo2k wrote: »
    IMO They should announce complete lockdown for 2/3 weeks starting Friday midnight.

AND

Complete lockdown for 2/3 weeks starting Jan 01 2021

AND

Complete lockdown for 2/3 weeks starting April 01 2021

/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Is there anyone who is actually in favour of this 'level 5 except for a few random activities we drew out of a hat' plan? If we need to step up our game to get control of the virus that's grand, but making exceptions is just going to undermine the whole effort. On top of that, we need much stronger enforcement of the current restrictions before we can decide they don't work. The roads are getting busier by the week.

It really seems like the government are losing the people and to be honest I can see why. I've tried to stick by the restrictions even when they felt unreasonable or illogical, but at this point I'm reaching the end of my patience. The government are doing nothing about the meat factories (which have been linked to outbreaks) and the schools (which are almost certainly playing a part). I'm not saying these places need to be closed, but there needs to be some kind of effort.

I still take this virus seriously. I'm not an "open everything and let it rip" type. But this inconsistent, incoherent approach is wearing me down. It's looking likely I won't be able to visit my elderly parents this Christmas out of fear of getting them sick because all this government cares about is looking after their industry buddies and keeping the schools running as normal to save face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

circadian wrote: »
    This, out in the car with the other half a few days ago and we saw several different large groups of older teenagers maurading around. She just said "we don't stand a chance, do we?"

The meaning of 'marauding' is: go about in search of things to steal or people to attack. And you say you saw several different groups of 'marauding' teenagers. I sometimes think that some posters on here would happily imprison young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't think they want to but they have backed themselves into a corner with this level craic and the way the whole thing has played out with NPHET politically they have to roll with it.

Thankfully i'm not to far from the border. I can only imagine the queues when non essential reopens, especially how close it will be to Christmas. Lunacy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Theres a lag between diagnosis and hospitalisation usually. Also it takes about 2 weeks for measured to take effect.

We are almost guaranteed that hospital numbers will be worse in 4 weeks.

Cases will probably be the same too as its 2 weeks of growth built in at the current rate and 2 weeks of decline from the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/coronavirus-schools-safer-than-wider-community-officials-say-1.4384292

"The number of swabs taken in mass testing in schools rose to 2,500 last week from 1,500 the week before, reflecting the higher level of transmission in the community but the positive rate from mass testing in schools has remained consistent since they reopened."

So when you're trying to justify keeping the schools open, suddenly it's all about the positive rate, thus allowing for the higher raw number due to the increase in testing.
    But the rest of the time it's "omg our cases have tripled since last month" despite the fact that the number of tests performed has also gone up by almost the same factor.

I'm sick to death of the deliberate disingenuous reporting of numbers inconsistently to try to push a particular narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

paw patrol wrote: »
    It is fear but the people who live in fear aren't blameless either.
    they are idiots. Given the governments and previous government history of mismanagement ,scandal and fcuk ups to blindly follow them and RTE is mind boggling.

With all the information to hand these days to display such lack of interest in getting a balanced view is morally criminal.

I think the fear campaign by the government has backfired bigtime. Even they know these restrictions are useless but they have to follow through with them because people are scared and "Love Tony"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

The penny will finally drop for the dopey minority who think fully open schools with 1 million people stuffed inside are magical covid-free zones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,627 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i've stuck to the restrictions, and I will do so again... but I just don't see what the goverment is doing to earn these restrictions.

There is no more bed capacity, or nurses/doctors than when we went into lockdown the first time. What is the point in going into lockdown if the governemt are not using the time of bringing the virus under control to increase their ability to deal with it when we are out of lockdown?

I personally know someone who was overseeing the build of a 400 bed covid unit. that got shelved months ago cause the figures were good. Why the fook didn't they finish it and get it ready so that if we hit another spike we would have the capacity to deal with it?

If the virus is going to remain an issue until a vaccine, then we need to improve our ability to live with and deal with the virus. This blunt hammer approach by the government achieves artificial improvements in the numbers without dealing with any underlying causes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement