Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

shocksy wrote: »
    Spot on. Retail have not done what was asked of them. Most staff in supermarkets aren't even wearing masks or as you say they're wearing them below the nose etc. No longer much control on how many people enters the store apart from the likes of Lidl and Aldi that have a system that automatically locks the doors when it reaches capacity.

They also don't check the hand sanitisers regularly either, because on multiple occasions they have always been empty, they also don't have any staff member beside them making sure all customers use them anymore. They have become way to relaxed and not just the supermarkets, but the smaller stores too, Dealz and stores similar to them along with clothes retail stores too.

So in fact the retail sector has failed spectacularly in the past couple of months and they should be closed in the wake of new restrictions.

I've noticed the same. I was in sports direct and Penneys a couple of weekends ago and the places were absolutely packed with customers. My local Lidl is definitely quite crowded at times too.

The smaller places I've noticed seem to be doing a good job but I don't do much shopping so hard to say. At the end of the day like other measures, it comes down to a lack of enforcement of the measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

MOH wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/coronavirus-schools-safer-than-wider-community-officials-say-1.4384292

"The number of swabs taken in mass testing in schools rose to 2,500 last week from 1,500 the week before, reflecting the higher level of transmission in the community but the positive rate from mass testing in schools has remained consistent since they reopened."

If you work or attend a school, you will have be placed on a ventilator before you are deemed a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Fairly worrying that he had what seemed like cold symptoms rather than covid19. Would be curious how he got test. Guess it's worth checking with GP either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I am still wondering if overall we would have been better off if we had moved to Level 5 for 4 weeks (even 6 if necessary) when NPHET said we should. With proper financial supports etc.
    Instead of slowly increasing the restrictions.
    If we had moved to level 5 when the NPHET advised it, we would still have had 1,285 new cases yesterday.

The latest restrictions were brought in on 6th October. The impact of those won't be felt until today/tomorrow at the earliest, regardless of whether me moved to level 3 or level 50.
    I'm sick to death of the deliberate disingenuous reporting of numbers inconsistently to try to push a particular narrative.
    I'm glad people are starting to see this. All of the Irish media pick-and-choose numbers to slant a particular narrative. RTE in particular love hyping up the fear. The Irish Times appears to have gone for a "keep calm and carry on" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Blondini wrote: »
    The penny will finally drop for the dopey minority who think fully open schools with 1 million people stuffed inside are magical covid-free zones.

you think people believe that?

Do you know what's really boring? People creating false narratives to fortify their own arguments..

• Advertisement

Government might give few days notice by looks of things https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1318111951894028288?s=19

https://twitter.com/KiernanRegina/status/1317955562441768960

I think our public health officials who carry out the tracing are trying to subtlety tell us something.

the f*cking nursing homes

we've cared little for the standard of care homes in this country for as long as I can remember - why is now so different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

lawred2 wrote: »
    you think people believe that?

Do you know what's really boring? People creating false narratives to fortify their own arguments..

Oh dear. You really don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Boggles wrote: »

I think our public health officials who carry out the tracing are trying to subtlety tell us something.

Well if they have something to say why not come out with it and stop waffling. Twitter indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

So we have five or six weeks of restrictions and schools remain open? Can anyone explain that one for me?

because keeping the kids getting an education and them moving through the system is of vital importance. to delay the education would have decades of

a knock on effect. It should be the very last thing closed. Also the covid doesn't seem to bother kids much.

I've ranted about the governments behaviour a lot , but this is one thing they got right - to prioritise the schools.

No one should change an opinion either way on just one day of "swab" numbers.
    No sh1t sherlock.

Today's swab data will tell us what happened over the weekend and will also indicate whether we have a solid trend or not.

If we do, then this wave has peaked and another week will see the case numbers back onto a downward slope.
    The trend is established and pretty clear, one swab data whether it's a 100 or 2000 won't change that fact.
    It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about. I know you're being hyperbolic, but if we had 100 positive swabs out of 30,000 tests over the weekend, it would actually change a lot of facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Longing

lawred2 wrote: »
    the f*cking nursing homes

we've cared little for the standard of care homes in this country for as long as I can remember - why is now so different?

Community transmission is so high impossible to keep out.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Well if they have something to say why not come out with it and stop waffling. Twitter indeed.

They have, they confirmed the tracing system collapsed 2 weeks ago.

NPHET has since backed that up as have various politicians since.

When I used the word "subtlety" I was quite obviously being sarcastic.

Philip Ryan from Independent on Clare Byrne on RTE Radio 1 now saying announcement from Taoiseach might not be until 9pm later. Was thinking it would be 6ish and then no NPHET briefing. May not be briefing either way though.

Blondini wrote: »
    Oh dear. You really don't get it.

oh enlighten me please

without making sh!t up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

the covid doesn't seem to bother kids much.

Phew!

Thank God it's not contagious!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

paw patrol wrote: »
    because keeping the kids getting an education and them moving through the system is of vital importance. to delay the education would have decades of

a knock on effect. It should be the very last thing closed. Also the covid doesn't seem to bother kids much.

I've ranted about the governments behaviour a lot , but this is one thing they got right - to prioritise the schools.

It may not but doesn't stop them from being asymptomatic, bringing it home and infecting their whole family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Eod100 wrote: »
    Philip Ryan from Independent on Clare Byrne on RTE Radio 1 now saying announcement from Taoiseach might not be until 9pm later. Was thinking it would be 6ish and then no NPHET briefing. May not be briefing either way though.

Leave it as late as possible. Extra few hours of hysterics really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Another drop and run so, no questions answered.

Great stuff.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Today's swab data will tell us what happened over the weekend and will also indicate whether we have a solid trend or not.

No they won't.

A trend is not over a period of 24 or 48 hours.

Also we know we had nearly 1300 confirmed infections yesterday you don't need to be "Sherlock" to come to the conclusion that there will be a high positive swab count today to reflect that.

But the point remains you can't or shouldn't swing widely with opinions based on one or even 2 days data, complete folly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

That they are still working and getting paid? Unlike thousands of others. I'll send them a box of roses. Twitter is a cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

paw patrol wrote: »

If only we had, say, 6 months or so to come up with a way to continue educating children without having dozens of them packed into a small room in the middle of a pandemic.

Oh sorry, we did have that but we decided to not bother taking advantage and just proceed as normal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Went up to collect take away around 7:30 last night, and for a few moments wondered if I would actually be able to collect it, as I parked up, a group of (mid) teens crossed the road from another part of the town, and went round the corner in the direction of the place I was heading for. Walked round the corner, and I was able to get to where I wanted, but the take away next door had become effectively a no go area, the group of 12, only one of them wearing a mask, were jammed around the door of the next along unit (also a take away), no social separation worth talking about, and blocking the doorway of the shop.

That wasn't the only group that I saw, there were several others in various places.

Yes, it's getting into the schools, but given what I'm seeing, they're not getting it in the schools, where they are separated to a degree, and are wearing masks, it's the interactions during evenings that's causing some of the spread, and then they take it into the school having passed it on outside the school. If the schools close, without an enforced lock down, they'll be spending all day out and around the town with no masks etc, at least if they're in the schools, there's some control over what's happening with them.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Government might give few days notice by looks of things https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1318111951894028288?s=19

get their affairs in order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Teenager on the radio this morning saying theres still loads of lockdown parties being organised on facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/coronavirus-schools-safer-than-wider-community-officials-say-1.4384292

"The number of swabs taken in mass testing in schools rose to 2,500 last week from 1,500 the week before, reflecting the higher level of transmission in the community but the positive rate from mass testing in schools has remained consistent since they reopened."

So when you're trying to justify keeping the schools open, suddenly it's all about the positive rate, thus allowing for the higher raw number due to the increase in testing.
    But the rest of the time it's "omg our cases have tripled since last month" despite the fact that the number of tests performed has also gone up by almost the same factor.

I'm sick to death of the deliberate disingenuous reporting of numbers inconsistently to try to push a particular narrative.

Our positivity rate has increased from under 2% to over 7%. This is referenced every day, consistently.

If the schools close, without an enforced lock down, they'll be spending all day out and around the town with no masks etc, at least if they're in the schools, there's some control over what's happening with them.
    This is my main concern. Let's have a look and see what happens during mid-term next week, and then imagine if the schools close, that's what we'll be seeing every day.

With everything closed and no house visitors allowed, and nobody's parents going on holidays, teenagers realistically have no other options now except to be hanging around the streets.

And if anyone is thinking, "Their parents have to be keeping them in", then consider how naive that is and whether your parents would have been able to keep you indoors at 15 years old when all your mates are out on the street.

This is most likely why other countries have imposed curfews; when you have to be in your own home by 10pm, then it's easier to just not go out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Went up to collect take away around 7:30 last night, and for a few moments wondered if I would actually be able to collect it, as I parked up, a group of (mid) teens crossed the road from another part of the town, and went round the corner in the direction of the place I was heading for. Walked round the corner, and I was able to get to where I wanted, but the take away next door had become effectively a no go area, the group of 12, only one of them wearing a mask, were jammed around the door of the next along unit (also a take away), no social separation worth talking about, and blocking the doorway of the shop.

That wasn't the only group that I saw, there were several others in various places.

Yes, it's getting into the schools, but given what I'm seeing, they're not getting it in the schools, where they are separated to a degree, and are wearing masks, it's the interactions during evenings that's causing some of the spread, and then they take it into the school having passed it on outside the school. If the schools close, without an enforced lock down, they'll be spending all day out and around the town with no masks etc, at least if they're in the schools, there's some control over what's happening with them.

Teenagers and takeaways dont get up/open till the afternoons mostly so it would be no different if schools are closed.

• Advertisement

If only we had, say, 6 months or so to come up with a way to continue educating children without having dozens of them packed into a small room in the middle of a pandemic.

Oh sorry, we did have that but we decided to not bother taking advantage and just proceed as normal.

what would you suggest for 1m people at three levels of education?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement