Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Theres two questions here

1. Do we believe elite sport should get an exception.

2. Does GAA count as an elite sport.

My answer for this is only if they can bubble themselves. Gaa have too many contacts as they train with their team the go into work and play matches with other teams.

Yeah the amateur status makes it very tricky.

Hard to bubble players when their actual livelihood is not the sport they play.

I'd agree it would be best in this case to probably cancel the All-Ireland series especially as a move up the levels looks likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I don't think there is any need to repost that picture above.

Sorry, I though he meant moob not mob :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

picture

What was the point of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

A nephew of my wife has been tested 3 times since returning to school.

1st time because of his own symptoms.

2nd and 3rd time because a kid in his pod were showing symptoms.

None of them were positive through any test - but he (and the kids in his pod at least) have all been tested as close contacts 2 times minimum (with a third time as the primary or a contact)

You missed my point.

If a kid tests positive on a Monday, the HSE guidlines only go back 48 hours so anyone in his school the previous week will not be deemed a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Big increase in hospital admissions today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Will they outline why they are going to shut down our retail sector?

Pathetic if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

Gael23 wrote: »
    Big increase in hospital admissions today

They have to stuff the hospitals and the ICUs or people will lose interest in the lockdown; expect ICU to hit 50 by Wednesday so panic can ramp up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You missed my point.

If a kid tests positive on a Monday, the HSE guidlines only go back 48 hours so anyone in his school the previous week will not be deemed a close contact.

That was changed I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The one who went to a party while waiting for a test should be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Jizique wrote: »
    They have to stuff the hospitals and the ICUs or people will lose interest in the lockdown; expect ICU to hit 50 by Wednesday so panic can ramp up

This sort of posting is just pathetic, they are actual people suffering in ICU have some compassion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    We won't need a lock down. The last time we had proper exponential growth every few days. We had no testing or tracing in place. We had very little measures in place i.e. social distancing etc.

This time the growth in ICU figures has been very much flat. There has been barely no increase in a week. Hospital figures are increasing at a much slower rate which means that the hospitals should be able to cope especially given flu rates are low and it didn't arrive in southern hemisphere.

We have plenty of time to continue to monitor this.

ICU last Sunday was 30, yesterday was 33. 10% increase. Hospitalizations were 204 last Sunday and 274 yesterday, a 35% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

My answer for this is only if they can bubble themselves. Gaa have too many contacts as they train with their team the go into work and play matches with other teams.

I would be of the exact same opinion and I love the GAA. Will be hard to justify the sacrifices if it doesn’t apply to certain sections of society.

In my opinion, the four provinces, the national team and Dundalk FC are the only ones that should be allowed continue as they are all in a position to bubble themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

an utterly pathetic comment.

These are people fighting for their life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Would you give over. Utter nonsense. Easy knowing you don't work in the health sector.

A deplorable comment,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I don’t think ICU admissions can be used as false flag events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And this is one logical step that could drastically cut the spread of the virus.
    Enforcement and adequate penalties for non-compliance would change the selfish mindset of those who think that the rules are not for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

They say that everyone deserves a vote. Comments like this would make you wonder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

They say that everyone deserves a vote. Comments like this would make you wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

This should be considered attempted murder or at the very least societal endangerment. The virus has been with us since March, there is no excuse for such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Are elite sports not allowed to continue under L4/L5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

This is a laughable comment, utterly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I agree. Its not fair on the players either really. It should be taken out of their hands

Unfortunate as it was great to watch the matches the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Kivaro wrote: »
    And this is one logical step that could drastically cut the spread of the virus.
    Enforcement and adequate penalties for non-compliance would change the selfish mindset of those who think that the rules are not for them.

The problem with that is you won't have people presenting for tests. List time I checked you had a third not turning up as it stands.

It's a rock and a hard place for those in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah the 4-week thing is infantilising us. Everyone knows the 'lockdown' will last as long as it takes to suppress the virus down to very low levels, and this is extremely unlikely to be achieved within a month.

and then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This should be considered attempted murder or at the very least societal endangerment. The virus has been with us since March, there is no excuse for such behaviour.

Attempted murder? For FFS the hyperbolic comments are getting more extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Yeah I heard its the 5G :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lawred2 wrote: »
    and then what?

I have started a whole thread to consider this question:)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058122979

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Belgium and Tunisia are following France with curfews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Our Minister for Health came out last week and openly said, schools are safe. I don't believe they are. Do you?

yes i do.
    I've 3 kids in 3 different schools - only the eldest has had covid in the school and that was teachers needing to isolate.

I can't comment on every school who can , maybe the minister I dunno
    I'm delighted my kids went back in sept and have no reservations.

That's because you are a responsible parents and citizen. Unfortunately many many are not and i can absolutely guarantee they are more than likely the same ones blaming the government for everything, or RTE. :rolleyes:

That's me. my kids are out all the time and i encourage it.
    I also blame the government for their response and RTE for the utter garbage reporting - slightly redeemed by now hosting Dr Feely on occasion
    but still a bag of $h1te

what can you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

Are elite sports not allowed to continue under L4/L5?

Level 4 yes, level 5 no.

The GAA and IRFU will stand to lose a considerable amount if they don’t go ahead. Both would have a lot of influence over government so I’d expect even if we hit a harsh Level 5, both will be allowed to continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement