Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

circadian wrote: »
    This, out in the car with the other half a few days ago and we saw several different large groups of older teenagers maurading around. She just said "we don't stand a chance, do we?"

Well people hanging around is fine, if it's the same group all or most of the time.
    But if any of that group goes for a test then they should not rejoin it for two weeks.

It's not the socializing that's the problem.
    It's the continuing to socialize after being identified as a close contact that's the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

fits wrote: »
    Anyone else feel a bit sh1te about it all today?

No not particularly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Some people would only love that.

Sure we’ll take the bank holiday anyway ;) then take it as it comes after that.

It’ll more than likely be all talk like it was before, a big song and dance making themselves seem at checkpoints the first week or two; then reality kicks in and they don’t have the money or resources for it

The fines would probably pay a decent chunk of overtime too until people cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes , you are not alone

I think it's the sense of being in limbo again with the crap communications from the government and the endless leaks

Also feeling very sorry for a friend of mine with two shops who has done everything possible to keep open, but is likely to have to close :(

I think the lack of cohesion in government is a reflection of society at large. But its also really disconcerting. The communication could indeed be much better.

Anyway we're grand and I'm grateful for all that we have. But I couldn't sleep last night with wondering what's ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

How can they fine someone for breaching an advisory guideline?

If it isn't illegal, what are the grounds for a fine?

Make it law or don't do it is my opinion.

This level crap bringing in restrictions that I obey but a bunch of ignorant idiots ignore makes the whole thing feel worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Eod100 wrote: »
    Remember Varadkar used Belgium as a country that we should follow example of at start of this month. Situation there very bad lately.

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1318087603158212608

That doesnt seem like a helpful or professional means of explaining the situation to their country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

MarkY91 wrote: »
    It's the ones that aren't wearing masks that are going to put you out of business. Nobody said the majority don't wear masks. That's just stupid.

Go into Penney's, about 10% of people don't bother with a mask or wear it under their chin. I always see staff with no mask on neither. If retail actually enforced a mask wearing policy this year then maybe they wouldn't be getting shut down tomorrow. It's their own fault.

Masks are doing a wonderful job look at the cases of infection rapidly decline since they were mandatory... Oh Wait

• Registered Users Posts: 45,626 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yep.

I've followed the guidelines, and I will continue to do so. But it feels so generally pointless. I don't feel like the government are doing anything to improve the situation from their side. the numbers are down = a pat on the back. numbers are up = lockdown.

Where are the elements being put in place to deal with increases in infection?

Where are the measures for reducing infection outside of strict lockdowns?

I don't like these blanket bans on retail opening, gym opening, cinema opening etc. In situations where social distancing can and has been put in place, and virtually no transmission is recorded, why are we seeing them shutdown?

There is no subtlety from the government, no effort on their part. They have 1 blunt instrument of lockdown - and they have done nothing to change anything over the last few months.

The lack of work, effort, results from the government is galling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Some people would only love that.

Sure we’ll take the bank holiday anyway ;) then take it as it comes after that.

It’ll more than likely be all talk like it was before, a big song and dance making themselves seem at checkpoints the first week or two; then reality kicks in and they don’t have the money or resources for it

To clarify I wouldn't be in favour of fines myself but I still think that talk about having the craic travelling around the place on the bank holiday with fraudulent letters is deeply irresponsible. You should be ashamed but I'm sure shame is an emotion you've never felt in your life.

Ofc there's a strong possibility you're a WUM but unfortunately there are people carrying on like this IRL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

bennyl10 wrote: »
    or maybe just follow the regulations for a few weeks and dont be that dick(unless the seaside is within 10k of your house and social distance

Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

bennyl10 wrote: »
    or maybe just follow the regulations for a few weeks and dont be that dick(unless the seaside is within 10k of your house and social distance

It's not a few weeks though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Where is the Gardai, bring in the army, we need strict enforcement and punishments

There isn't any legislation for the Gardai to do anything, that emergency legislation ran out and wasn't replaced.
    They can ask you to go home, but that's all.
    Guidelines are not laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

thelad95 wrote: »
    The GAA community (not the actual playing of games) has certainly been a contributor in recent weeks but are definitely not the "main cause".
    No, probably come behind the schools but theyre the second main . look at what happened in Meath and Cavan and Moycullen

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Yeah the gym was the only reason I was leaving the house and it was great for the head, losing that tonight genuinely hurts.

Yep, will be a terrible decision if they close the gyms fully. I understand restricting classes and limiting numbers of attendees but to close altogether is a real kick in the teeth to those who want to stay healthy both mentally and physically. In the gym group I attend, there have been zero cases of confirmed transmission within any of their gyms nationwide. They have spent thousands on sanitary equipment as well as extra staff and procedures. Unfortunately our government do not seem willing to adopt a nuanced and smart approach to these restrictions but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Yes, definitely.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    That doesnt seem like a helpful or professional means of explaining the situation to their country

I'm no fan of Leo but on this occasion that poster has misrepresented what was said by Leo about Belgium. Leo was talking about the changes Belgium was making towards how they report cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Had a test a few minutes ago (not symptomatic or a close contact, I've an operation in a few days).

Went to my local drive through test pod, very efficient. In and out in five minutes and four of those minutes were waiting for other cars to be tested.

Really pleasant nurse, test wasn't too bad, just slightly uncomfortable so my eyes watered at the throat swab, but no biggie.

If only tracking and tracing could be that efficient!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

seamus wrote: »
    And based on the last seven days of data, there's a good possibility that a peak is forming.

Previous 7 days data confirmed infections

1. 4496 48% increase
    2. 7436 65% increase

I imagine we will be looking back in 2-3 weeks time and saying remember when we "only" had 1000 cases a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting? Are they talking about only inter-county without spectators present? To me that actually makes some sense

It makes sense in one way.

However........ with GAA you have people coming from full time jobs in various aspects of life. For a training session on a Tuesday evening, the players and backroom team will assemble. These people will be coming from schools, colleges, offices, hospitals - all over the place. And then being near each other. So the problem for the GAA is it's amateur status. Rugby differs because rugby players can easily isolate away from their training sessions. GAA players cannot. And that is the difficulty for the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Fifty-six Covid-19 cases linked to man who failed to isolate after trip abroad in the Mid-West region

There were cases in a sports team and up to 10 homes linked to man who did not restrict his movements.

image.jpg

Should all 56 cases be classified as 'due to travel from abroad' or would just the one index case be classified as such ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are there any figures on how many people got infected shopping in electrical retailers or at hairdressers? Surely if these places have much lower rates of infections than schools then we should keep them open?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,246 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've never known half the country to sit down at the weekend to watch non essential retail on the television though. People physically have to be in shops, whereas you could have a million people watching the All Ireland final with only 30 people actually in contact.

I think the argument for the GAA and elite sport generally is that it will give people locked up at home something they can enjoy. It's all a bit bleak tbh
    How many GAA players have to go to work on a Monday morning?
    How is it safe for the public to have them play a match and return to work less than 24 hours later?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am building an Ark.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,626 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Yep, will be a terrible decision if they close the gyms fully. I understand restricting classes and limiting numbers of attendees but to close altogether is a real kick in the teeth to those who want to stay healthy both mentally and physically. In the gym group I attend, there have been zero cases of confirmed transmission within any of their gyms nationwide. They have spent thousands on sanitary equipment as well as extra staff and procedures. Unfortunately our government do not seem willing to adopt a nuanced and smart approach to these restrictions but time will tell.

same in my place.

Loads of people in it, and (as far as the owner knows) there have been no cases recorded from the gym.

But there is a good chance my time there this morning was the last I will see of it for 6 weeks. And for what? What actions will the government have taken between now and then to either reduce the infection rates post lockdown, or reduce the need for such strict lock-downs in future? Based on the evidence we can look at.... nothing cause they did nothing between last lockdown and now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

No not really. Very positive about all the vaccine news that's coming out. All we need to do is stick together for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Fifty-six Covid-19 cases linked to man who failed to isolate after trip abroad in the Mid-West region

There were cases in a sports team and up to 10 homes linked to man who did not restrict his movements.

https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.4384945!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

Should all 56 cases be classified as 'due to travel from abroad' or would just the one index case be classified as such ?

The Irish Times graphic is far easier to understand than the NPHET/HSE one. Also should be noted that the 'went to a party' case had already had the test and was waiting on results when she went to the party. Some people just really don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Multiple waves and lockdowns were a possibility from the very beginning, I think people just assumed it was all over when we eased restrictions in the summer.

Not really, I will still be working away as I did during the first lockdown. Live rurally so will be out for my runs like before and considering I wouldn't pose a risk to either the cattle or sheep I meet I will run the usual distances I do.
    I feel sorry for anyone that has lost or will loose their job because of the lockdown. I also feel sorry for anyone living in a shoebox in the city.
    Hopefully your situation is not too grim. Despite how you feel this won't last forever it just feels like it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Kids are generally asympotmatic so they will show little to no symptoms.

If they catch the virus, they pass it onto their parents who will show symptons, if they test positive, the kid then gets tested, if positive, it's seen as a community transmission or caught in the family home.

For example, even if a child test positive on a Monday, nobody in the school they were in will be traced as a potential close contact.

Do you have data to back this up? We live in a time of feelings. Depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

image.jpg

The accuracy behind that information is nothing short of unbelievable.

Especially so when we have no data on age and underlying illnesses of 30 people in ICU, or why Ireland has one of Europe’s best ICU survival rate’s (Are we admitting people to ICU that other countries don’t or is that one aspect of health care in Ireland that’s the best in Europe)

or exactly what is the quantifiable cases numbers NPHET will relax the extra restrictions being implemented later today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement