Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I'm guessing you know little of Bill Gates besides some sort of caricature of what a billionaire should be?

I’m not interested in him... I’m interested in his views that he is expressing re: covid.

He has done great charity work ? Yep.... nothing he has done in the past is even slightly relevant here... his views on covid NOW are relevant.... he doesn’t want restrictions, he wants to remain of the ability for his businesses to enjoy continuing profitability. That means freedom. Lockdowns and restrictions don’t allow for that. Hence he is critical of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Source?
    Do you read the news?
    Pfizer is applying for FDA approval third week in November. They're already in approval stages in the EU. It's generally believed that an EUA will be issued by the EMA in the first two weeks of November.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1016/1172037-pfizer-could-file-for-vaccine-clearance-next-month/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Correct. Look at Victoria in Australia. Lockdown started in July. They are coming into their summer and 3 months later they can only now go 25km from their homes. We will be in lockdown until April at the earliest.

Victoria is called out all the time - this is the reality

As of 19 October, in Melbourne:
    • People can travel up to 25km (15 miles) from their home for exercise or shopping
    • Gatherings of up to 10 people from two different households are allowed
    • Hairdressers, tennis courts, golf courses and skate parks reopen, subject to Covid-19 restrictions
    • Two adults and two children will now be allowed to visit another person's home
    • Hospitality venues will be allowed to accommodate 70 patrons outside and 40 inside

This is where 3 months gets us.

Don’t forget Victoria cases only peaked at 700 a day, and during July they were averaging 25,000-40,000 tests per day and they brought in a curfew.

They are only got it under control in the last week.

https://covidlive.com.au/vic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The 56 he infected are also to blame, clearly not socially distancing.

There was a highlighted case a while back from a restaurant where a whole table got infected by someone at a table next to them despite social distancing measures in place.

Social distancing reduces risk but is not fully preventative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Do you read the news?
    Pfizer is applying for FDA approval third week in November. They're already in approval stages in the EU. It's generally believed that an EUA will be issued by the EMA in the first two weeks of November.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1016/1172037-pfizer-could-file-for-vaccine-clearance-next-month/

Will be a while before it's mass distributed I'd imagine but good news all the same. Would swear by some of Luke O Neill's comments that everyone will be getting a vaccine as a Christmas present! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Strumms wrote: »
    I don’t have kids, but if I’m a smart parent a couple of weeks ago I’m saying to my kids... “ guys, Santa will be VERY busy this year so let’s tell him early what we want and help him out “... get ordered, get it stashed away, no worries.

The fûck would I be or will I be flying around shops in November / December....if they are open that’s asking for trouble.

santys well done now in our house for exactly this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Eod100 wrote: »
    Will be a while before it's mass distributed I'd imagine but good news all the same. Would swear by some of Luke O Neill's comments that everyone will be getting a vaccine as a Christmas present! :pac:

This the guy with the 'Never Mind the Bollocks' book? Fitting.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Anyone young and in decent health most likely won't be getting any until 2022, unless something drastically changes and distribution methods go space age.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Teenagers and takeaways dont get up/open till the afternoons mostly so it would be no different if schools are closed.

They'd be outside McDonald's. If that's not open they gather en masse outside Tesco, plenty of complaints on local social media accounts about being intimidated by "Gangs of Teens" outside the store, and that's hoping they're not down in the underground car park throwing fireworks at people, which is another favourite at the moment.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

The doses are already made. As soon as it's approved the distribution process kicks off within 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Do you read the news?

The only definite thing in the article:
    "The Pfizer news, published in a letter from its chief executive on its website, lifted the US stock market and the company's shares."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Their cough might be softened soon enough anyway: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-new-fines-for-not-wearing-face-masks-and-non-essential-journeys-by-end-of-the-month-1.4377745

Heard mention of this on the wireless again this morning.

There's already fines for not wearing masks correctly. How much has been raised by that so far? I haven't seen Gardai stopping and searching any buses etc.

The doses are already made. As soon as it's approved the distribution process kicks off within 24 hours.

They have the ability to distribute 100 million doses (200 million vials) in 2020. That's nothing.

Then they can do a further 1.3 billion next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The Welsh are very clear with their lockdown, it ends on the 9th of November, its a fixed date. There will be no extension. They know case numbers won't be very low by the 9th and they'll only see the impact of lockdown in the weeks that follow.

We need similar, the date set. Be in 3 weeks or 4 weeks, none of this oh just another 2 weeks. Clear and concise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The 56 he infected are also to blame, clearly not socially distancing.

Yes and no I'd say.
    Of course some of the 56 sure. Others tho probably just bad luck (or in reality this knob jockey not staying at home)

I have often wondered about dumb luck like this. Say some guy like that goes into Dunnes and picks up a bottle of wine and puts it down. Minutes later someone else picks it up and buys it. Say about two hours later in the comfort of their own home two people are drinking it. Touching the bottle and their faces etc as you do.

The couple in question may have wore a mask even sanitized their hands and what not. But because a jerk with corona was going around, picking his nose, not washing his hand someone else can easily get it.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They have the ability to distribute 1 million doses (2 million vials) in 2020. That's nothing.

Then they can do a further 2 billion next year.

Pfizer have 100m doses ready to go for end of 2020 once approval is given so not sure where your getting the 1m doses from. The EU has a commitment on supply from this 100m. Supply chains across Pfizer in Europe were activated months ago for production. There was no lets wait and see approach.

Also not confirmed if its 1 dose or 2 dose yet. Phase 3 data will show which is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just on schools.

The "data" is a product of procedural and data manipulation.

School told maskless students were not close contacts with SNA despite 'intimate care level'

The children tended by that SNA were not deemed by the HSE as a close contact.

So if the bar is higher than that, it is reasonable to infer that there is no reasonable level of contact tracing in schools.

48 hours after symptoms, you don't inform anyone, you don't test, you don't trace back to schools.

Schools look squeaky clean.

Apparently according to the media one or 2 cabinet ministers are calling BS on it and want to raise the issue today at the full meeting, a lot of TD's are getting contacted by schools and parents.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

If you said to folks... “ok the Irish Medicines Board have approved a vaccine, we have signed an agreement with Pfizer who will guarantee the vaccine to be available to us in March”... people would bite your hand off.... KNOWING when is the thing, people will take great comfort in a definite as opposed to snippets of good news, ‘vaccine looking promising’ is one thing.... ‘vaccine approved for production and distribution’ though is what we wanna hear, a date. Makes the sacrifices and sacrificing easier when you got a definite date.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,246 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Source?
    FFS, it's in the news everyday.

Pfizer have 100m doses ready to go for end of 2020 once approval is given so not sure where your getting the 1m doses from. The EU has a commitment on supply from this 100m.

Also not confirmed if its 1 dose or 2 dose yet. Phase 3 data will show which is the case.

Sorry, my mistake. I'd 1 million stuck in my head but it is 100 million and 1.3 billion next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

eagle eye wrote: »

I won't lie I hate it when people say source. It's annoying.

Like on one hand I get it. If someone came out with some big crazy claim well then where did you hear that from. But as you say this is a world wide topic. It's on the news all the time.

Not to mention there's a thing like Google....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

eagle eye wrote: »

Source?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Sorry, my mistake. I'd 1 million stuck in my head but it is 100 million and 1.3 billion next year.

I'd say that'll ramp up further. Once proven effective and approved you would imagine they look at increasing capacity further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

They'd be outside McDonald's. If that's not open they gather en masse outside Tesco, plenty of complaints on local social media accounts about being intimidated by "Gangs of Teens" outside the store, and that's hoping they're not down in the underground car park throwing fireworks at people, which is another favourite at the moment.

Instead of calling them "gangs of teens" we could call them "pods" or " bubbles" of teens. They'd be less of a threat ;)

Pfizer plan on 100m doses by end of year and 100m extra every month after that. The EU have pre-purchase agreements in place that activate as soon as approval is made. Distribution starts within 24 hours.
    I recommend watching this YouTube video which discusses how firms like DHL, UPS and FedEx have supply chains already in place (including cold storage) and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Welsh are very clear with their lockdown, it ends on the 9th of November, its a fixed date

Looking into my crystal ball, i predict a spike in cases in Wales about 10-14 days after the 9th November...

AnniePowwa wrote: »
    bill gates does not have to make a single penny for a million years , money has no bearing on anything he does or say now

He IS...

Chairman and founder of Branded Entertainment Network

Chairman and co-founder of TerraPower

Chairman and founder of Cascade Investment

Technology advisor of Microsoft..

Doesn’t HAVE to... W A N T S ,to.

Pfizer plan on 100m doses by end of year and 100m extra every month after that. The EU have pre-purchase agreements in place that activate as soon as approval is made. Distribution starts within 24 hours.
    I recommend watching this YouTube video which discusses how firms like DHL, UPS and FedEx have supply chains already in place (including cold storage) and ready to go.

The only worry I'd have is what plans have the dept of health/HSE made for distribution.

They should have a clear plan of action. Hopefully work is well underway

• Registered Users Posts: 38,246 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I won't lie I hate it when people say source. It's annoying.

Like on one hand I get it. If someone came out with some big crazy claim well then where did you hear that from. But as you say this is a world wide topic. It's on the news all the time.

Not to mention there's a thing like Google....
    Yeah, fully with you on that. If somebody is making an outlandish claim that's not in the news then I think it's fine to look for a source.
    In this instance it's on the news every single day if the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I think the timing they ask for today will be crucial to getting any sort of buy in from the public - if it's 6 weeks then let it be 6 weeks and none of this bollix at the end of November of the "next 2 weeks are crucial", then the same again 2 weeks later.

They'll probably go for around end of November on a Monday.

Maybe Martin should say what the government are doing to prepare for the next spike. Of course he wont as he just hopes it goes away like all government mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement