Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Essentially retail open 4 weeks before Christmas (as most expected)
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1318163802693591040?s=19

Essentially a carrot so people will buy into a new lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Changing room facilities are not available to players, you arrive togged out.

Is that the case for county players too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Is that the case for county players too?

No, dressing rooms are available at county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure if this has already been highlighted in the many posts on here...

Going into this crisis it appears that the HSE has too many Admin staff and managers and not enough nurses, any nurses here that would confirm that?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40067145.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

They'll want retail open first week in December regardless. Generates too much money to leave closed in the run up to Christmas

I dont think that will happen if numbers are not any lower.Most items can be purchased online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a shame that they weren’t using Pfizer facilities here.. if my thinking is right the only approval that they would need would be from the Irish Medicines Board, or would Pfizer being a US company be needing US approval before it distributed regardless of where to hmmm...

For EU distribution as far as I'm aware will only require EMA approval. I'm open to correction here though.

I do think they are utilising Pfizer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

So causing huge crowds in shops and shopping centres during a pandemic makes sense? Ok.

It seems like they’ll sky rocket either way. If they lock things down now, that means they’re on track to open up when lots would start their Christmas shopping. They usually announce lockdown a few days in advance so it seems like there will be crowds no matter what. They can’t win.

Switzerland 8700 positive cases today with 16% positivity rate.

That is frightening for their size, their testing capacity must be huge too.

wadacrack wrote: »
    I dont think that will happen if numbers are not any lower.Most items can be purchased online

I dont think its going to matter to be honest. Wouldnt surprise me if we're in the hundreds and they reopen.

Step by step, retail only first.

There's going to have to be a clear plan and dates set on this, no more of the 4 weeks and then oh 2 more.

Whatever about online you can guarantee they'll want shops open well in advance.

Let's look at Wales for example, they have said regardless what the numbers are on 9th November they'll be reopening as you wont see the numbers reflect the lockdown until after 9th. Its clear and concise infromation which we can only hope of getting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ill have all my shopping done on line before then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Recruitment agency on the Swords Road near the airport. No guidelines being followed at all. Full office in full view right at the traffic lights. I've worked I recruitment before and it could definitely be done from home, even with one or two in the office.

It's infuriating that they're just not trying while people lose their jobs as a result of people not pulling their weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Level 2 by Christmas is optimistic. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Why? There'll need to be clear dates set on this. Much like the Welsh announcement, clear and concise with a definitive end date.

The only way to get public buy in

Even if they give a date, would you believe them? I'd be genuinely adding 3 weeks onto anything they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a shame that they weren’t using Pfizer facilities here.. if my thinking is right the only approval that they would need would be from the Irish Medicines Board, or would Pfizer being a US company be needing US approval before it distributed regardless of where to hmmm...

All I know is that in general each regulatory authority would have to approve itself. I think the IMB might be enough for the EU, but then you need FDA approval for distribution to the US, the Russians and Japanese would also be regular visitors for audits etc. I'm open to correction here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    It seems like they’ll sky rocket either way. If they lock things down now, that means they’re on track to open up when lots would start their Christmas shopping. They usually announce lockdown a few days in advance so it seems like there will be crowds no matter what. They can’t win.

So you missed the crowds outside Toymaster when rumours of a lockdown were circulating?
    They can't win because they are f**king idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Why? There'll need to be clear dates set on this. Much like the Welsh announcement, clear and concise with a definitive end date.

The only way to get public buy in

Because if things don't go the right way they can't simply just open up because the date has arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Jaysus, i thought that was positive swabs for a second
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

circadian wrote: »
    Recruitment agency on the Swords Road near the airport. No guidelines being followed at all. Full office in full view right at the traffic lights. I've worked I recruitment before and it could definitely be done from home, even with one or two in the office.

It's infuriating that they're just not trying while people lose their jobs as a result of people not pulling their weight.

how do you know, i could do my job form home but i cant get decent broadband at home to do video calls half the day, so theres 2 of us in an office that takes 20 (separate bathrooms, kitchen)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Black Friday will be online only by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All I know is that in general each regulatory authority would have to approve itself. I think the IMB might be enough for the EU, but then you need FDA approval for distribution to the US, the Russians and Japanese would also be regular visitors for audits etc. I'm open to correction here.

Perfect, hopefully that can enable us to be somewhere near to the top of the Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

I dont think its going to matter to be honest. Wouldnt surprise me if we're in the hundreds and they reopen.

Step by step, retail only first.

There's going to have to be a clear plan and dates set on this, no more of the 4 weeks and then oh 2 more.

Whatever about online you can guarantee they'll want shops open well in advance.

let me stop you there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

How about not closing non-essential retail but making sure there are only a few people indoors at a time and everyone wears a mask? It doesn't mean a thing that there's a fine for not wearing a mask if it's not actually enforced at all. I've never seen anyone getting fined for not wearing one. I haven't even seen anyone being reprimanded for not wearing one. Very few people actually have a legitimate reason not to wear one and if they can't, they should stay home.

I don't know why it is so difficult to follow the recommendations. A couple of days ago I saw large groups of kids and adults all close to each other wearing reflective vests (supposedly some organised activity) blocking all the footpaths, conversing by shouting. How is that not a risk to anyone? In general it is very difficult to go out other than late at night without struggling to avoid people having loud conversations and coming into close contact with you because no-one is keeping a distance. I'm not going to drive everywhere to avoid people in an area already blocked with cars.

It really isn't that difficult. All it takes is people cutting down on small talk, avoiding gatherings and using masks. Is it too much to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

If that plan is true they may as well not bother. Case numbers and deaths will spiral in January.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Because if things don't go the right way they can't simply just open up because the date has arrived?

That's what Wales are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

it seems like a weirdly f'ed up carrot an stick approach. "do the lockdown and then you can all go into a shop, at once, and be close to people again" before we have a lockdown again in January with Paddys day sued as the same Carrot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

how do you know, i could do my job form home but i cant get decent broadband at home to do video calls half the day, so theres 2 of us in an office that takes 20 (separate bathrooms, kitchen)

Yeah there's 2 of you in an office of 20. That suggests that the other 18 have other arrangements that work. This is a small office, fully staffed with staff standing over each other at their desks. Exactly the sort of behaviour we've been asked repeatedly to not do.

I understand that some people need to work in the office because of connectivity, shared spaces at home etc but that's not the same as filling the office up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I have no problem with people sharing information like this but without the context of how they were doing previously it's essentially useless. If they were announcing 16000 cases last week with a 32% positivity rate this is good news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Yes and no I'd say.
    Of course some of the 56 sure. Others tho probably just bad luck (or in reality this knob jockey not staying at home)

I have often wondered about dumb luck like this. Say some guy like that goes into Dunnes and picks up a bottle of wine and puts it down. Minutes later someone else picks it up and buys it. Say about two hours later in the comfort of their own home two people are drinking it. Touching the bottle and their faces etc as you do.

The couple in question may have wore a mask even sanitized their hands and what not. But because a jerk with corona was going around, picking his nose, not washing his hand someone else can easily get it.
    Wash your shopping, it takes about ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

It's known but waiting on results of large scale antibody testing been conducted by Maynooth to provide context to the data.
    Since when is antibody testing proof of 2 separate infections? They last only a certain lenght if time and dissappear. Then other parts of the immune system potentially take over.
    The only way is to test the rns at the time of infection. Think you said you worked in the pharma industry? I would expect better knowledge and less scarmongery from a person so connected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Black Friday will be online only by the looks of it.

They could just have it on another date.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement