Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Level 2 by Christmas is optimistic. Here's hoping.

There's about 0% chance of enough of the population copping on enough for that to happen.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    They could just have it on another date.....

Have the post Christmas sales on another day too then i guess.

You realise Black Friday is post Thanksgiving sales that cottoned on over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They could just have it on another date.....

The big money will be spent that day online, people won't wait around for a possibly maybe day weeks in the future that they can visit a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a shame that they weren’t using Pfizer facilities here.. if my thinking is right the only approval that they would need would be from the Irish Medicines Board, or would Pfizer being a US company be needing US approval before it distributed regardless of where to hmmm...

Approval is needed by each market the drug is being distributed to. In this case EMA will approve the drug we in Ireland get.
    FDA approval needed to sell to USA.
    I think it makes sense not to spread manufacturing around too much for now. The manufacturing site also needs approval. They have to prove the process used to manufacture is safe and robust as well makes makes consistent, safe, quality product. The more manufacturing sites you bring in the more likely to run into problems. Once they get approval they will also know more about the manufacturing process and can then start making the vaccine in more sites as they will have some of the kinks resolved by then. The strategy of moving manufacturing of their other products to Ireland makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Changing room facilities are not available to players, you arrive togged out.

They are available for inter county teams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Yup frontline workers & vulnerable to the front of the queue

There's a big assumption that healthcare workers are going to line up to be first for a rushed vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

titan18 wrote: »
    Have the post Christmas sales on another day too then i guess.

You realise Black Friday is post Thanksgiving sales that cottoned on over here.

Yes, traditionally the day that shops turn profit for the first time, so why can't we have it a week later if retail is allowed open? We don't have thanksgiving here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

polesheep wrote: »
    There's a big assumption that healthcare workers are going to line up to be first for a rushed vaccine.

Is it actually being rushed though ? I would have thought expeditiously worked on certainly.

polesheep wrote: »

I'd imagine we'll be lucky to get 6 figure amount of doses in the first few waves, so between healthcare workers, teachers, guards etc and the over 60s, you'll have enough even if there are an amount that are hesitant

Yes, traditionally the day that shops turn profit for the first time, so why can't we have it a week later if retail is allowed open? We don't have thanksgiving here.....

It'll still happen online. I can't see Amazon or someone having a different Black Friday than the one they'll be running elsewhere. If shops are open in the UK, Currys and the like will still follow suit online.

That and asking loads to pack into shops like on a normal Black Friday is stupid and shouldn't be allowed anyway. Need shops to adhere to capacity limits when they reopen for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

s1ippy wrote: »
    Wash your shopping, it takes about ten minutes.
    Or wash your own hands and don't touch your face! Takes 20 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

1 in 3 countries worldwide have now reported over 1000 covid deaths . Imagine looking into a time portal from last February and knowing that would happen , still hard to believe at times

Is it actually being rushed though ? I would have thought expeditiously worked on certainly.
    No, it's just noises about planning when vaccines are approved.

wadacrack wrote: »
    I dont think that will happen if numbers are not any lower.Most items can be purchased online

It's the length of time it takes for delivery that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

They've found a new variant of the virus in Trondheim, Norway. Seems to be more contagious meaning it doesn't require as close contact as the previously found variant. Most patients with the new mutation are in their 20s but there are older people as well, mostly with mild symptoms (at the time of diagnosis anyway).

Original article in Dagbladet

Article translated into English

Would be interesting to know how widely this new variant is circulating at the moment. Or how many variants in general there are currently circulating and how they differ.

Well a possible postive, if it becomes even more transmisabe but in a milder form for even older and younger hisk risk people. It may end up like the common cold. Fingers crossed as that might be light at the end of the tunnel. But we will have to wait and see and work with the variant we have at the moment.

We need to get our phylogentic team in Ireland back on track with funding asap. Great find. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

lawred2 wrote: »
    /sarcasm

Actually not sarcasm - if we knew that was the plan then we would all work around it (and lets face it first couple of weeks in Jan are a right off anyway)?

The problem at the moment is the not knowing what level of lockdown and when...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dublin City Centre is fun today! Everyone out shopping because the world is going to end at midnight tonight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Or wash your own hands and don't touch your face! Takes 20 seconds!
    Wash my hands after every time I pick up anything that's come in from outside? I'd rather just be sure that it's clean.

Essentially retail open 4 weeks before Christmas (as most expected)
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1318163802693591040?s=19
    That's just a mood, not a decision. We can rule out Level 2 for sure. 4 weeks is contingent on hospital admissions and ICU remaining as they are or coming down.

Wash my hands after every time I pick up anything that's come in from outside? I'd rather just be sure that it's clean.
    If your hands are clean that's never a risk issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Economy doesn't matter apparently. Although I wonder where will the funds come from to support all the nice things people enjoy such as a health service, social welfare, pay rises in the public sector etc
    Didn't they reduce social welfare and public sector pay after the banking crisis? What makes you think they won't do it again?

Dublin City Centre is fun today! Everyone out shopping because the world is going to end at midnight tonight!
    Operation Fanacht has paused because of the rain!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

is_that_so wrote: »
    If your hands are clean that's never a risk issue.
    But like, in the example of the bottle of wine used, each time you poured it you would have to go and wash your hands to mitigate against the risk.

Just wash the bottle of wine and you reduce the risk and the amount of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Essentially retail open 4 weeks before Christmas (as most expected)
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1318163802693591040?s=19

CMO will not be happy with that plan

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So causing huge crowds in shops and shopping centres during a pandemic makes sense? Ok.
    What would be more sensible is the shops getting their act together and arranging times for people to shop to keep numbers down.

Would it be difficult to set up phone lines and an online facility to let people book their shopping times and they provide id when they arrive.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Didn't they reduce social welfare and public sector pay after the banking crisis? What makes you think they won't do it again?
    ECB printing presses are running 24 hours a day. It's up to us to decide how much is prudent but it's very low cost.

Word play. Regardless of whether any vaccine is perfect or no, corners will have been cut to get it out so quickly. HCWs should certainly be among the first to be offered any vaccine but I have my doubts that the take up will be much more than 50% or so, especially during the first year.

But like, in the example of the bottle of wine used, each time you poured it you would have to go and wash your hands to mitigate against the risk.

Just wash the bottle of wine and you reduce the risk and the amount of effort.
    OK, whatever works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Boggles wrote: »
    It's 5, 7 and 14 day trends.

No one uses 3 days.

By the end of the week Seamus you'll be breaking it down by the hour to make yourself feel better.

Good luck with that.
    That graph is seven day trends, and it's the metric that you chose, not me.

The only thing I'm doing is showing that your predictions of 3,000 cases by the end of the month aren't backed up by the data.

You're certain about where we're going. I'm not, I'm merely commenting on what the current data is showing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Economy doesn't matter apparently. Although I wonder where will the funds come from to support all the nice things people enjoy such as a health service, social welfare, pay rises in the public sector etc

On the other hand, if the health service comes crashing to a halt, because there are not enough well people to staff it ?

No fûcker in the public sector is seeing a pay rise for quite some time, years, private sector either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement