Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

polesheep wrote: »
    I do that all the time:D

The fumes got to me there... must keep away from the stash during the day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What about barbers ?

Need a bread trim and hate doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

is_that_so wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be a loved one, just physical interaction itself with a stranger is a rush during this.

Dogging?

You old sailor you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Or they could just clamp down on house parties and stop imposing nonsense restrictions on those of us not being inconsiderate eejits.

Well, yes, but think you've about as much chance of seeing pigs flying than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Or they could just clamp down on house parties and stop imposing nonsense restrictions on those of us not being inconsiderate eejits.

Exactly.

The way I see it there's two things that need to be enforced to stop this thing and it's keeping a distance and wearing a mask. As long as nothing happens if you fail to follow the rules, it's not going to work. Setting up limitations on how long some establishment is open or how many bottles of gin you can buy is not stopping this. If you get fined for not wearing a mask or having a big house party and might get arrested for not leaving that house party or stopping it, that might. If disturbing domestic peace isn't a crime, then how about spreading a contagious potentially deadly disease? Somehow this can be done in other countries without them turning into police states as I've heard some argue when I suggest maybe someone should enforce this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Honestly i'd have more respect for the government if they just came out and said "look we got it wrong and should have gone with NPHET's advice a few weeks ago". We fcuked up, let's do better next time.

I'd have more respect for them if they took the crayons off Micheál Martin and let someone competent have a crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

let someone competent have a crack.

We're f**ked so, that particular breed of person does not exist in public life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

By the sounds of it we need a rulebook that covers every single eventuality, suits every single opinion and ticks every single box.

Also at least another 500k gardai.

Get a grip of yourselves, slap yourselves on the head and soldier on

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

Since March, we've been taking shopping into garage first and, depending on the item, either washing or spraying sanitizer and wiping. Stuff not needed to used immediately or put in fridge stays in the garage till needed. Weren't we told to do this and throw away packaging etc? Two large supermarkets in my town located literally right alongside the Covid testing place and the amount of people fitting in a bit of shopping directly after their Covid tests would blow your mind! I have even gone so far as to wish that people getting tested should have a stamp on their forehead that will not fade away until their isolation time has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »

I think reason off licences were classed as essential was because fear of alcoholics having DTs and there being more pressure on health service. That would be only a minority of drinkers all the same of course. Think there's a physical and mental health to gyms being open especially now with winter approaching. Once they abide by the rules then there'd be justification for keeping them open. Then again a lot of other outlets would say they've been sticking to the rules too. It's a tricky balance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Below 4k individuals tested up north. Positivity rate is stable enough at 21% but the case numbers need to be taken with a pinch of salt due to low testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

seamus wrote:
    Humans are social animals. It's one of the core pillars of our nature. If you're a severe introvert you probably underestimate just how difficult it is for the majority of others to go weeks without face to face interaction with a loved one. People heavily on the extravert side struggle to be alone for more than a couple of days.
    You can use zoom, WhatsApp, facetime etc to have a video chat.
    I lived apart from my wife for eight months and we used Skype and WhatsApp for video chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Deshawn wrote: »
    By he sounds of it we need a rulebook that covers every single eventually, suits every opinion and ticks every single box.

Also at least another 500k gardai.

We need a superhero! COVID-MAN! Carts all the non-compliers off to a secret location never to be seen again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭shmeee

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think reason off licences were classed as essential was because fear of alcoholics having DTs and there being more pressure on health service. That would be only a minority of drinkers all the same of course. Think there's a physical and mental health to gyms being open especially now with winter approaching. Once they abide by the rules then there'd be justification for keeping them open. Then again a lot of other outlets would say they've been sticking to the rules too. It's a tricky balance.

Exactly, can't leave gyms open and close other services where great measures are in place for public safety; barbers, beauticians, non essential retail businesses and so on who are due to close in Level 4.

And playing this "mental health" card is getting very annoying!

Eod100 wrote: »

I know of gyms again that haven't been sticking to the rules. No social distancing etc in there

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

Positivity rate lowers to 7.2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

970 swabs last 24 hrs, 6.74% positivity rate. 14391 tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Pretty much.

Very little point in talking about restrictions if nothing is done to enforce them.

We're going to Level 3.
    Actually, we didn't enforce Level 3 so now we need to go to Level 4.
    We didn't enforce Level 4 either so it's Level 5 for now.

So people who don't give a damn can do what they want and the restrictions just keep ramping up until people aren't allowed to make a living. Then you can be sure that those restrictions will be implemented.

They couldn't be arsed making sure people don't have gatherings etc but they'll be 100% certain to make sure you can't earn a wage working in retail or hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

seamus wrote: »
    Humans are social animals. It's one of the core pillars of our nature.
    If you're a severe introvert you probably underestimate just how difficult it is for the majority of others to go weeks without face to face interaction with a loved one. People heavily on the extravert side struggle to be alone for more than a couple of days.

That reasoning can be applicable to so many things. Let the kids have some fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,627 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

shmeee wrote: »
    Exactly, can't leave gyms open and close other services where great measures are in place for public safety; barbers, beauticians, non essential retail businesses and so on who are due to close in Level 4.

I don't want the gym to close - I go there near every day and I find it tough when I can't go for a long period.

But, to your point..... I don't think they should close either. If the correct measures are in place and being adhered to, it should not be shut. Otherwise the goverment are saying the measures in place (as mandated by them) are not sufficient in general.

I was going to a local restaurant every thursday for the last couple of months. Never once did I feel the measures in place were not sufficient - why should they have to close?

The local cinema had it so no one could sit within 2m of you, socially distanced lines etc....why should they have to close?

If the government can't provide a scientific reason behind the closing of a sector... then they should not be closing them.

You argument is you can't leave one type open while everything else closes, I say you can just close something just because.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This might explain some of the resurgence we are seeing. Humidity and temperature play a big part in half-life of the virus.
    We find that SARS-CoV-2 survives better at low temperatures and extreme relative humidities; median estimated virus half-life was more than 24 hours at 10 °C and 40 % RH, but less than an hour and a half at 27 °C and 65 % RH.

https://twitter.com/dylanhmorris/status/1317452990148730880?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Last 48 hrs

1151 swabs @7.1%
    970 swabs @ 6.7%

shmeee wrote: »

As someone who suffers and undergoes treatment for my depression and social anxiety disorders, I agree. Loads don't give a sh1t about it in non - covid times so for so many to keep spouting it now, it seems very disengenious.

Never mind that if our hospitals get fecked, people who are going into the public service mental health units will be faced with longer waiting times. As it is, CUH one kept running the first wave although had to make adjustments and actually moved out of the hospital to a community centre, but it was a completely different experience. Dean Clinic I know went virtual which is not the same as meeting someone face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I dont agree with closing or time limiting retail, for a multitude of reasons many of which already mentioned, and many other options available. But alot of people still work 9 to 5 monday to friday, so it would seem sensible if they are to close that part should be brought on on a saturday night. To allow time for their purchases and no stampede in over crowded shops next week which would potential increase cases.
    Also many parts of the countryside might have one or two buses a week. What are they meant to do? And dont say use the internet.. unless you live in a city a whole lots of places have abysmal connectivity in this country.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

statesaver wrote: »
    What about barbers ?

Need a bread trim and hate doing it myself.

Use your loaf

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Great numbers today. Better than I had hoped for.

Sunday: 1,152 positive swabs from 16140 tests. 7.14% positivity. 7-day average: 7.29% (down from 7.31%)
    Today: 970 positive swabs from 14,391 tests. 6.74% positivity. 7-day average: 7.24%

This is the first time in 3 weeks we've seen a drop in the 7-day positivity rate. It's not a big drop, but I'll take it. I'd expect to see a small bump up tomorrow because there was a freakishly low rate on Tuesday 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Last 48 hrs

1151 swabs @7.1%
    970 swabs @ 6.7%

Relatively good numbers! A relief anyway that the + rate hasn't gone up further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Any word on whether there is a NPHET briefing this evening? Guess it could be cancelled to avoid having to answer questions until government make an announcement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement