Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

humberklog wrote: »
    Use your loaf

Or a loaf tin, and trim around it like the bowl-cut of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Since March, we've been taking shopping into garage first and, depending on the item, either washing or spraying sanitizer and wiping. Stuff not needed to used immediately or put in fridge stays in the garage till needed. Weren't we told to do this and throw away packaging etc? Two large supermarkets in my town located literally right alongside the Covid testing place and the amount of people fitting in a bit of shopping directly after their Covid tests would blow your mind! I have even gone so far as to wish that people getting tested should have a stamp on their forehead that will not fade away until their isolation time has passed.

Your one of those people that I think should stay inside till its all over. Sanitizing and quarantining the shopping? That's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Since March, we've been taking shopping into garage first and, depending on the item, either washing or spraying sanitizer and wiping. Stuff not needed to used immediately or put in fridge stays in the garage till needed. Weren't we told to do this and throw away packaging etc? Two large supermarkets in my town located literally right alongside the Covid testing place and the amount of people fitting in a bit of shopping directly after their Covid tests would blow your mind! I have even gone so far as to wish that people getting tested should have a stamp on their forehead that will not fade away until their isolation time has passed.

I just throw my shopping in the bin once I get home, can't be too careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Eod100 wrote: »
    Any word on whether there is a NPHET briefing this evening? Guess it could be cancelled to avoid having to answer questions until government make an announcement
    I can't imagine there being a Nphet briefing before government go on.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Great numbers today. Better than I had hoped for.

Sunday: 1,152 positive swabs from 16140 tests. 7.14% positivity. 7-day average: 7.29% (down from 7.31%)
    Today: 970 positive swabs from 14,391 tests. 6.74% positivity. 7-day average: 7.24%

This is the first time in 3 weeks we've seen a drop in the 7-day positivity rate. It's not a big drop, but I'll take it. I'd expect to see a small bump up tomorrow because there was a freakishly low rate on Tuesday 13th.

Its done, we have beaten this, open the pubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Sunday: 1,152 positive swabs from 16140 tests. 7.14% positivity. 7-day average: 7.29% (down from 7.31%)
    Today: 970 positive swabs from 14,391 tests. 6.74% positivity. 7-day average: 7.24%

This is the first time in 3 weeks we've seen a drop in the 7-day positivity rate. It's not a big drop, but I'll take it. I'd expect to see a small bump up tomorrow because there was a freakishly low rate on Tuesday 13th.

There's every chance that level three might be starting to work... just as they drag us into a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I think the most encouraging thing is that both Sunday and today were below the 7 day average. That is good news. Yes, 2 days isn't a trend but CaveatEmptor's exponential growth graph will not look so exponential today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

I, for one, can’t wait til Philip Nolan presents the data on outbreaks and spreads in retail. Same as to the 5km limit.

He loves correcting people on Twitter and showing his data in multiple twitter threads so I’m sure we’ll get the same tonight with regard to retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Its done, we have beaten this, open the pubs!

Be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Great news, no need for extra measures, 3 is working

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

rob316 wrote: »
    Your one of those people that I think should stay inside till its all over. Sanitizing and quarantining the shopping? That's ridiculous.

Remember when people were afraid to order stuff from China Incase the virus is on their items lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

polesheep wrote: »
    There's every chance that level three might be starting to work... just as they drag us into a lockdown.

Maybe that isn't fast enough for the Health Service to continue functioning.

Great news, no need for extra measures, 3 is working

The level 5 fetishists will claim the credit in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think the most encouraging thing is that both Sunday and today were below the 7 day average. That is good news. Yes, 2 days isn't a trend but CaveatEmptor's exponential growth graph will not look so exponential today!

I wouldn't be as confident. Aren't they ramping up mass testing in a few sectors. Mass testing on a population will have a lower positivity rate than testing symptoms. I don't really know. I would need more than a day or two anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I wonder what the conspiracy theory will be today seeing as "they're announcing higher numbers to justify the restrictions" isn't a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

polesheep wrote: »
    Like I said earlier today, my gut feeling is that they're making a mistake.

But it's done now. At least come mid-late November the new restrictions will mean that case numbers are on the floor and people will probably lose their minds a little partying over Xmas, just in time for lockdown 3.0 in January.
    I wouldn't be as confident. Aren't they ramping up mass testing in a few sectors. Mass testing on a population will have a lower positivity rate than testing symptoms. I don't really know. I would need more than a day or two anyway.
    A day or two more can always be used!

From eyeballing the numbers, I can't see any appreciable link between higher testing numbers and lower positivity rates. In fact, all of the recent days with high testing numbers have also had the highest positivity rates.

The day we did the most tests ever (19,040), also had the highest positivity rate (7.91%) since 29th April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

I wonder what the conspiracy theory will be today seeing as "they're announcing higher numbers to justify the restrictions" isn't a runner.

They'll find something Jim :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That swab data is... positive. Haven’t said that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The tests numbers aren't particularly large, and the number of positive tests and + rate are both down. But, yes, of course, it's only 2 days, I'm not confident either, just hopeful.

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    Maybe that isn't fast enough for the Health Service to continue functioning.

Why not? It's functioning right now and there is still slack in the system. So, if level 3 is starting to work, then you would expect the health service to come under reduced pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dublin's numbers over the last few days were still high and they were in level 3 a lot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Problem for government and Nphet is if indeed the above is an indicator of falling numbers, it will be difficult to justify the lockdown to whatever level they are calling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eod100 wrote: »
    Any word on whether there is a NPHET briefing this evening? Guess it could be cancelled to avoid having to answer questions until government make an announcement
    TBH the only one that's still of any use is the epidemiology reports by Nolan on Wednesday or Thursday. Everything else is being supplied daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

But it's done now. At least come mid-late November the new restrictions will mean that case numbers are on the floor and people will probably lose their minds a little partying over Xmas, just in time for lockdown 3.0 in January.

NPHET have made the pressure on them unbearable and they have to act, even though I agree its a mistake and should ride it out longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

could someone tell the weather we are in lockdown ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But it's done now. At least come mid-late November the new restrictions will mean that case numbers are on the floor.

Agreed.

The effects of last week will only be seen by the end of next week

titan18 wrote: »
    Dublin's numbers over the last few days were still high and they were in level 3 a lot longer.

That's true, but I think there has been degree of buy-in from the public over the past week. If they gave it a few more days before making a final decision and things continued to improve that would boost buy-in even more. On the other hand, if they go to lockdown, they will shred that precious buy-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Problem for government and Nphet is if indeed the above is an indicator of falling numbers, it will be difficult to justify the lockdown to whatever level they are calling it.
    It would make it easier for them to stick to whatever time limit they are proposing. They could also unwind it faster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

could someone tell the weather we are in lockdown ?

Tony had a word with God who promised him a month of rain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement