Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Problem for government and Nphet is if indeed the above is an indicator of falling numbers, it will be difficult to justify the lockdown to whatever level they are calling it.

Imagine if we are just three or four days into the lockdown and the numbers show great improvement, they'll have egg on their face. Unless they try to confuse people into believing that their lockdown action is what brought about that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not sure if anyone saw but a Garda received a positive test during a court hearing last week and the whole court had to be shut down.
    There was a big press conference today for the JoJo Dollard missing case and there’s been a COVID exposure there.... by a Garda.

Are Gardai not disclosing if they’re being tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    It would make it easier for them to stick to whatever time limit they are proposing. They could also unwind it faster.

Which, in turn, would give them licence to slam us into lockdown any time they feel like it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

is_that_so wrote: »
    It would make it easier for them to stick to whatever time limit they are proposing. They could also unwind it faster.

Ah here this must be messing with your mind. Unwind faster?

Are you taking happy pills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Stheno wrote: »

What the heck is going on up there to result in such high numbers? It is mad for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Not sure if anyone saw but a Garda received a positive test during a court hearing last week and the whole court had to be shut down.
    There was a big press conference today for the JoJo Dollard missing case and there’s been a COVID exposure there.... by a Garda.

Assuming this is true,Why in the name of Jaysus are they not self-isolating prior to receiving results??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

17,311 more tests carried out in the last 7 days (Monday to Sunday) than previous week.

What the heck is going on up there to result in such high numbers? It is mad for sure.

On the thread I linked they said they don't test close contacts so maybe thats a factor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

polesheep wrote: »
    That's true, but I think there has been degree of buy-in from the public over the past week. If they gave it a few more days before making a final decision and things continued to improve that would boost buy-in even more. On the other hand, if they go to lockdown, they will shred that precious buy-in.

If they give it a few more days and then it doesn't improve, we're even further behind then though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What's the point of closing off licenses early? I know the reason behind it would be to curb house parties but that measure isn't going to do it. The government would be better off implementing closures on all off licences for the 4 weeks. They can close other businesses, why not off licences. That's coming from someone who would consider dipping into a bottle of spirit for a glass or 2 to be fairly essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Stheno wrote: »
    On the thread I linked they said they don't test close contacts so maybe thats a factor?

Perhaps, since that means that close contacts could be (are) spreading it without knowing it. I don't know, but it is quite alarming. Don't mean to sound dramatic, but it is bad and mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

That's true, but I think there has been degree of buy-in from the public over the past week. If they gave it a few more days before making a final decision and things continued to improve that would boost buy-in even more. On the other hand, if they go to lockdown, they will shred that precious buy-in.

Its only delaying the inevitable return of the virus
    If people didn't lapse from the guidelines, level 3 would be working and we would be talking about level 2
    In fact we wouldn't have had level 4 anywhere
    We've no choice but to use the level tools to suppress the damage people have done not learning the lesson or our hospitals will be over run and more people will die
    This situation will be with us for another 6 months
    We are about half way there
    There are better places we can be than where we are today
    I know of 2 cases now where people who are positive did not quarantine
    I'm sure there are many more
    Selfish selfish irresponsible people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

17,311 more tests carried out in the last 7 days (Monday to Sunday) than previous week.

An impressive increase to be fair to the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Has anyone seen what the proposed situation with outdoor gatherings will be?
    Is it 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

redmgar wrote: »
    Is it 15?

Don't thin any gathering outdoors is allowed

eagle eye wrote: »
    You can use zoom, WhatsApp, facetime etc to have a video chat.
    I lived apart from my wife for eight months and we used Skype and WhatsApp for video chat.

and the point is, you're in the severe minority so fair play to you.
    The vast majority need face to face and close contact as for the million reasons given. it's just the way we are so this will be tough at a time of the year when many feel lonely anyway.

redmgar wrote: »
    Is it 15?

Thats a secret, its still unclear if they will be reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'd wait until tomorrow before popping any champagne, but if a trend is emerging to indicate that level 3 is finally starting to work in slowing the growth case, the three party leader should out come out and say that the set of new restrictions will be reviewed in two weeks as opposed to reviewing them in 4 weeks time to see if they are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Who is leaking this news to journalists or a case of second guessing by some of them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

owlbethere wrote: »
    What's the point of closing off licenses early? I know the reason behind it would be to curb house parties but that measure isn't going to do it.

All that this will do is people will buy their beer at 4 o clock instead of 9 o clock.
    And they`ll probably buy more and start the house parties earlier.

Can the idiots in the government not see this?

Are our overlords really that stupid?

It baffles me that people who are in charge of a country cant see how stupid of an idea this is...all they have to do is look at off-sales the day before St Patricks day or Christmas week.
    Us Irish wont do without our alcohol and will buy it at 9.00 am if we had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

And they said NPHET are the leakers.

The government make our water pipes look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

And i wonder if they ask in contact tracing have you been stopped by a garda at a checkpoint recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nobotty wrote: »
    Its only delaying the inevitable return of the virus
    If people didn't lapse from the guidelines, level 3 would be working and we would be talking about level 2
    In fact we wouldn't have had level 4 anywhere
    We've no choice but to use the level tools to suppress the damage people have done not learning the lesson or our hospitals will be over run and more people will die
    This situation will be with us for another 6 months
    We are about half way there
    There are better places we can be than where we are today
    I know of 2 cases now where people who are positive did not quarantine
    I'm sure there are many more
    Selfish selfish irresponsible people

It is all the peoples fault though, what if the approach of our health experts has been flawed?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/k-overlooked-variable-driving-pandemic/616548/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Should we try enforcing the restrictions we put in place and said we were definitely, absolutely going to enforce this time?

Nah, feck it, too much hassle. Just close the place down again.

Who is leaking this news to journalists or a case of second guessing by some of them?

One of the journos (think it was Gav Reilly) wa a live streaming some row in the Dail on his phone last week on twitter when up popped a text from Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

rob316 wrote: »
    Your one of those people that I think should stay inside till its all over. Sanitizing and quarantining the shopping? That's ridiculous.

Wash your hands and wipe down your shopping, warns health group

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0401/1127735-coronavirus-washing/

The above is what I read around the start of the first lockdown and just followed it, even before the Covid testing centre opened alongside the supermarkets and people started going from their test directly to the shops.
    But perhaps the latter is not something that would concern you either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If Micháel came out tonight and said, "We're watching the figures and are hopeful that the impact of level 3 is going to be felt this week. We will have more confidence on Wednesday that we know what direction the country is heading. If NPHET and the Government aren't satisified by that point that we are making enough progress, then we will be moving to ... On Friday midnight.", then I think that would be the most effective message.

It would be a clear indicator that time is being given to allow restrictions to take effect and that they're not just jumping because NPHET have told them to. That in itself, would help secure public buy-in.

I appreciate though that we're just gobsh1tes with a basic understanding of statistics, access to Excel and too much time on our hands. The Government aren't going to be sitting there crunching the numbers themselves; they're relying on what's coming out of the NPHET and the HPSC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement