Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The only country in Europe to go into full lockdown again, it's absolute madness.

We can’t compare ourselves to other countries!

We need to do what is necessary here, we aren’t Germany Belgium or France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Stheno wrote: »
    Are mechanics shut in level five does anyone know?

I've an NCT due early November..... wonder is this impacted also.
    Presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

s1ippy wrote: »
    Well that'll have gotten the Irish Times lots of panicked clicks. Disgusting carry on.

And everyone else now reporting it?

How there they report the breaking news

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Level 5 for 6 weeks as advised I’m hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Are you all still speculating or have they announced something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

bennyl10 wrote: »
    We can’t compare ourselves to other countries!

We need to do what is necessary here, we aren’t Germany Belgium or France

Exactly. and I think this is the avalanche time and most of Europe will be doing the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Indo reporting cabinet to ‘consider’ Level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Wales are doing it from Oct 23rd too. 2 weeks though

2 weeks isn't long and at least they have a definite end date in sight. The 6 weeks here will be a lot longer, you and I both know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

No major surprise given the leaks but still disappointing. Would have liked to have seen a proper effort at making level 3 work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

If it is level 5, is the Essential Retail list remaining as is in Level 4, or how likely do we think it will be that it will be restricted further?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I think the Netherlands beat us to it?

And Wales, if they count as a country. Also, it's like nobody learned from last time, the countries that locked down earliest came out the best, with the fewest deaths and the least economic damage. Many regions around Europe are also in full lockdown, and Ireland has the population of a region within a larger country.

The people who roll their eyes "only country in Europe" would be complaining if we wait until other countries do it, then do it later and for longer. They'd be like "typical Irish government, just following what Europe does"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Beanybabog wrote: »

Media are reporting that cabinet is to consider level 5 for 6 weeks. Nothing definite yet as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

Gael23 wrote: »
    Level 5 for 6 weeks as advised I’m hearing

this is bull crap. They are doing this on purpose then to scare everyone, and then at 6 Meehole will announce level 4ish and ppl will be happy! feck sake....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Been leaked to IT. You can be confident it's correctly rumoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i feel the people who are flaunting the rules wont stop in lvl 5 theyll actually get worse

really think lvl 5 will turn out to be a disaster in the end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

bennyl10 wrote: »
    And everyone else now reporting it?

How there they report the breaking news
    I can't see anyone but them saying level 5 currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

snowgal wrote: »
    this is bull crap. They are doing this on purpose then to scare everyone, and then at 6 Meehole will announce level 4ish and ppl will be happy! feck sake....

Highly doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s not being pessimistic, it’s being pragmatic.
    Pragmatism means taking a wide view of the issues and making decisions and predictions based on what is practical and is most likely to have the most positive outcome.

The pragmatic view here would be to sit on this until the end of the week. The chaos they're planning on unleashing might all be for naught. Waiting another couple of days before imposing a lockdown won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

They can get fecked, they will push more people to top themselves with measures like this than will die from COVID

I hope some people in that room can get real

1300 people a day will top themselves because of a few weeks in level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Indo reporting cabinet to ‘consider’ Level 5.

I wonder will they move us to level 4, or 4+ but call it level 5 perhaps to get across to the thick and ignorant about just how serious this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Wales gone into a "Firebreak" lockdown. I swear these names are getting more pretentious by the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Media are reporting that cabinet is to consider level 5 for 6 weeks. Nothing definite yet as far as I can see.

They were always considering that as per medical advice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Our overlords are leaking it via the media

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Micheal just came on the news and said "just to confirm everything the media reported is true, its level 5 for six weeks" rather than the absolute drivel he normally spouts before finally getting to the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

statto25 wrote: »
    Wales gone into a "Firebreak" lockdown. I swear these names are getting more pretentious by the week.

Buzzwords to drive it home to people. Spin doctors earning their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

In fairness, all the talk up until a few minutes ago seemed to be level 5 in everything but name and plus a few KM from the home. Don't see how much of a difference this makes, purely thanks to the dog's dinner they've made of their 50 level plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Level 5. 500,000 temporarily or longer term unemployed from mid week. Nuts. Country is now economically ruined in 2021.National debt will rocket. We can't afford this, and it's only because loan money is cheap that we can even contemplate this. But ultimately we have to pay it back for the next 50 years or more.

It's grand though because NPHET members will get paid regardless of what happens. They don't give a ****. They're forcing businesses who've had ZERO cases to close while leaving schools riddled with cases to stay open.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

quokula wrote: »
    The people who roll their eyes "only country in Europe" would be complaining if we wait until other countries do it, then do it later and for longer. They'd be like "typical Irish government, just following what Europe does"
    It's the fact it's for six weeks though. Wales is announcing it for two weeks. Six weeks is very long for a lot of people who'll be unemployed from this, not to mention the many other side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Die
    from Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A lot of businesses are about to shut permanently. Even with Government assistance, they're on their last legs and losing a full month of sales in November could easily be the final nail in the coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AnniePowwa

whoever the top guys and girls in the hse are should all be facing jail time ,the funding they have received and still have managed to have the hospitals on their knees with just 30 people in icu is absolutely criminal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement