Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A week midterm is not the same as closing until numbers decline.
    It's still schools closing. If you have a better number please state it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Stheno wrote: »
    An awful lot of people will have no money for Christmas m as due to being unemployed for six weeks due to this

Half a million people

I cannot imagine how they are feeling right now or when they hear this

It's an absolutely shocking way to treat businesses and by extension their staff who have gone out of their way to ensure safety of their staff and customers. There are exceptions of course, but the reasonable approach would be to punish those not adhering to the guidelines, not imposing restrictions on people trying their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

New 5KM rule is going into law. Fines will be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm beyond the age of house parties, but was in my early 20s when they changed the law to close at 10pm. It was all a bit of craic leaving the pub at 9.45 to nip into the off licence. You'd have 3 confidence-increasing pints in you, and overbuy due to the scarcity factor, so you get 8 cans, head back to the pub for a few more pints, then feel the need to drink all 8 after. Compare with before, you'd leave the pub with 8 pints in you and buy 2 or 3 cans, if any.
    +1, the whole thing backfired on them for people I knew anyway. There are usually going to be deals on drink so you end up buying a 6 or 8 pack.

I remember 2 friends of mine always bought naggins and half bottles, another I know still does not buy cases of beer. I would point out it is so much more expensive but they said if they have drink at hand they just end up drinking it, I do the same with chocolate bars in multipacks. I reckon this will happen more, they will be stockpiling if there are limits on hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Level 5. 500,000 temporarily or longer term unemployed from mid week. Nuts. Country is now economically ruined in 2021.National debt will rocket. We can't afford this, and it's only because loan money is cheap that we can even contemplate this. But ultimately we have to pay it back for the next 50 years or more.

The cost of the next 6 weeks to the state won’t be far off the cost to build the Children’s hospital!! Just think about that for a minute....

I wonder how the general population would feel if the long term economic effects of increased taxes, public sector pay cuts, decreased state funding for support services etc etc were laid out in a simple plan in the same way the restrictions are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

If the government announce level 5 they can kiss the schools goodbye

No way unions will go in at level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Acosta

Considering the cabinet meeting is still apparently ongoing, is someone in there on their phone leaking as it's in progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Anyone know when we are meant to know our fate for sure

What is happening with all these leaks? Is some **** in that meeting with his phone on loudspeaker in his pocket?

Current cabinet ministers are a disgrace that they can't shut the **** up
    It's preparing the ground for what will not go down well at all in many quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

New 5KM rule is going into law. Fines will be issued.

Where did you see that?

Anyone know when we are meant to know our fate for sure
    Guess is Martin at 9.

How many residents of our country are just monumentally stupid?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1019/1172546-garda-public-covid19/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Seems as if government have decided that they won't muddy the waters with a level 4 plus and are just going to go for it for 6 weeks until 1st December.

You can be dam sure that doesn't get an extension so close to Christmas.

No you can't be sure, as the situation changes daily - hourly even.

There will be people calling for a "short sharp lockdown" on Dec 1st. A two-week fire barrier to buttress the six-week circuit power-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

This is deeply distressing for lots of people.

We are being thrown into the hardest lockdown in Europe and for what reason?

A disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Where did you see that?

Post above yours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭ForestFire

quokula wrote: »
    Which is utterly ridiculous when you think about it. Working in a school under level 5 is much safer than working in a school under level 3 or lower, since the people attending class are far less likely to have come in contact with the virus outside of the school in order to bring it in.

Exactly, I could not agree with this more.

The reason to move to Level 5 is to protect schools and education.

In essence, The rest of society locks down, to reduce the spread in many other areas, and we take the small risk that it is will still spread in schools to a degree, but under level 5 it will be much less than level 3.

Surely teachers (Or most likely the Unions to be honest who are driving this) understand this simple concept?

Under level 5...Nurses and Care workers will still go to work, grocery store workers will still go to work, postmen/women still delivery and collecting post, , meat factory workers still producing your food, Bin collections still working and so on....all still all working when needed and required.

If a teacher has a personal health concern, it should be dealt with on a case by case basics and any teachers not attending working should now be availing of the PUP payments as needed.

But what I cannot understand is this obsession with the need to be at level 3/2 for Christmas....basically telling people they can go mad again for a few weeks, which will only lead to level 5 again for February??

We should be on a constant Level 3/2, with the border counties increased depending on what's happening in NI.

This is an absolute disaster. Basically admitting to testing, tracing and hospital failure. WHO said don't use lockdown as a primary means, but we can't even get the primary means right. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Will you go to the province in Canada that is Covid free to get away from it all?

Winter in Nunavut, not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Can people please post source links to some of the claims on here as they're posting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The initial lockdown was a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's preparing the ground for what will not go down well at all in many quarters.

This is kite flying on steroids though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

I love sports myself, but seriously? The law states I can’t go 5km from my house but amateur players who work normal jobs can criss cross the country playing GAA. F*ck off.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    I love sports myself, but seriously? The law states I can’t go 5km from my house but amateur players who work normal jobs can criss cross the country playing GAA. F*ck off.
    They're being tested and you aren't, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,628 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's an absolutely shocking way to treat businesses and by extension their staff who have gone out of their way to ensure safety of their staff and customers. There are exceptions of course, but the reasonable approach would be to punish those not adhering to the guidelines, not imposing restrictions on people trying their best.

and so many places have spent money to put themselves in a position to operate in compliance with the guidelines - and following this lockdown may simply not be in a financial position to continue.

The goverment have let the economy down massively with blunt instrument lockdowns, without any consideration given to the data for each sector that are implosing a blanket shutdown on.

It is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Haven't got a good excuse ready? Better get one ready for that Garda checkpoint
    https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1318215080304123904?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The initial lockdown was a failure.

It was a great success but inevitably cases increased upon reopening as we're still in the midst of a pandemic. Some seem to forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Acosta

Kh1993 wrote: »

Yeah this is nuts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Leo looks like a fool now

As he said, NPHET clearly "hadn't thought through" their initial 4 week plan for level 5.

What we clearly needed was to wait for 2 more weeks and then have a 6 week lockdown. :pac:

• Advertisement

This is kite flying on steroids though
    At this stage quite a lot of it will probably come through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement