Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

We are a laughing stock of a country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

This is an absolute disaster. Basically admitting to testing, tracing and hospital failure. WHO said don't use lockdown as a primary means, but we can't even get the primary means right. What a joke.

I think it's a combination of primary means being fine at the scale everything was at over the summer but it hasn't scaled well to deal with large outbreaks like we're seeing now. They were relying heavily on peoples compliance with the recommendations which has, as expected, gone right out the ****ing window.

So here we are, a creaking healthcare system, rampant non-compliance and a testing/tracing service that can't keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Can people please post source links to some of the claims on here as they're posting!!

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ForestFire wrote: »
    Exactly, I could not agree with this more.

The reason to move to Level 5 is to protect schools and education.

In essence, The rest of society locks down, to reduce the spread in many other areas, and we take the small risk that it is will still spread in schools to a degree, but under level 5 it will be much less than level 3.

Surely teachers (Or most likely the Unions to be honest who are driving this) understand this simple concept?

Under level 5...Nurses and Care workers will still go to work, grocery store workers will still go to work, postmen/women still delivery and collecting post, , meat factory workers still producing your food, Bin collections still working and so on....all still all working when needed and required.

If a teacher has a personal health concern, it should be dealt with on a case by case basics and any teachers not attending working should now be availing of the PUP payments as needed.

But what I cannot understand is this obsession with the need to be at level 3/2 for Christmas....basically telling people they can go mad again for a few weeks, which will only lead to level 5 again for February??

We should be on a constant Level 3/2, with the border counties increased depending on what's happening in NI.

Id like to imagine the move to level 5 is to save the health service and in doing so lives, just a little bit more important than education.

And whos to say keeping schools open as is won't just give the virus the transmission hub it needs to continue growing or stabilizing at current numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We've been waiting and seeing for some time already since NPHET first recommended level 5 and things have just continued to get worse. I understand that it looks like the rate might be starting to level off under level 3, but that's based on a small amount of data and the base is already too high now. There's also a lag between infections, hospital admissions and deaths, so a small drop in the last couple of days still means hospitals will continue worsening.
    If we had moved to level 5 when the NPHET advised, we would be exactly the same position that we are in right now.

Don't be under any illusion that we would have better numbers right now. We wouldn't.
    Even if the data does prove correct, and Level 3 doest start to consistently show a 0.1% drop in infection rate per week, that means we're still in a pretty bad place for months to come. A stronger lockdown could get us to a healthier place much more quickly.
    In terms of pure numbers of Covid cases, definitely.

In terms of the social & economic impact, a stronger lockdown may bring us to a much sicker place much faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

They're being tested and you aren't, though?

How many times are they been tested?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kh1993 wrote: »
    I love sports myself, but seriously? The law states I can’t go 5km from my house but amateur players who work normal jobs can criss cross the country playing GAA. F*ck off.

Precisely my feeling

I was due to get the flu vaccine via my work next week but its 15kms away

Guess it is OK as a medical thing if it still goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

There needs to be accountability in NPHET, Dept of Health and HSE. Systems, processes and communication an utter failure. Badly let the country down. Same outcome no matter who is in government.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Acosta wrote: »
    Considering the cabinet meeting is still apparently ongoing, is someone in there on their phone leaking as it's in progress?

NPHET MUST BE LEAKING THE CABINET MEETING!!!

Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It was a great success but inevitably cases increased upon reopening as we're still in the midst of a pandemic. Some seem to forget that.

Deaths in nursing homes was dreadful.

• Advertisement

Kh1993 wrote: »
    I love sports myself, but seriously? The law states I can’t go 5km from my house but amateur players who work normal jobs can criss cross the country playing GAA. F*ck off.

After yesterdays match in Tuam, everything should be done to protect Mayo's progress in this years championship. Even schools should be sacrificed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Any word on hare coursing?

Ah hare

• Registered Users Posts: 36,308 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Leo looks like a fool now

Doesn’t he just? Playing politics with a pandemic a dangerous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

They're being tested and you aren't, though?

I've seen nothing to speculate that GAA players are being regularly tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

gifted wrote: »
    How many times are they been tested?
    They're tested up to 3 times a week, including within 48 hours before games.

circadian wrote: »
    I've seen nothing to speculate that GAA players are being regularly tested.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1009/1170601-rapid-covid-19-testing-for-gaa-players-to-be-rolled-out/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Extremely worrying to give Gardai these extra powers.

Maniac Gardai will love it and further demoralise the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hubertj wrote: »
    There needs to be accountability in NPHET, Dept of Health and HSE. Systems, processes and communication an utter failure. Badly let the country down. Same outcome no matter who is in government.

Accountability???

This is Ireland - NOT A CHANCE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It was a great success but inevitably cases increased upon reopening as we're still in the midst of a pandemic. Some seem to forget that.

Wouldn't have been inevitable if we did any sort of preparation for the last 6/7 months. Government too busy patting themselves on the back instead of concentrating on testing, tracing and hospital capacity. We're paying for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

This is an absolute disaster. Basically admitting to testing, tracing and hospital failure. WHO said don't use lockdown as a primary means, but we can't even get the primary means right. What a joke.

It's almost like humans are not omipotent and we're dealing with an unprecedented virus and running into the same problems as practically every single other country in the world that isn't isolated in the middle of the pacific ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What is happening with all these leaks? Is some **** in that meeting with his phone on loudspeaker in his pocket?

Current cabinet ministers are a disgrace that they can't shut the **** up

This type of thing has always been going on in politics. Journalist chummy with politicians get leaks so they can guage public opinion and prepare the public for whatever the action to be taken is. Isn't it funny how no one is ever held to account for leaking, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Deaths in nursing homes was dreadful.

Absolutely, sure most of our deaths came from them didn't they? You can only imagine what they would have been like if we didn't lock down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

quokula wrote: »
    It's almost like humans are not omipotent and we're dealing with an unprecedented virus and running into the same problems as practically every single other country in the world that isn't isolated in the middle of the pacific ocean.
    It's almost as if we have a draconian health system which we refused to build upon during the time of low case numbers and a tracing system which has been downsized in recent months.
    Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

If the level 3 + household visit ban is actually working and we see a reduction in cases in 7 days, are they going claim this as a victory of level 5?

Bunch of chancers, lock us up for 6 weeks- This is worse than China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

The biggest disgrace is the whole previous lockdown was wasted. We did nothing about building up adequate tracing and chain breaking mechanisms and we had people pushing and pushing to get tourism back up and running, right across Europe, not just here.

The result is we may end up in a whole series of yo yo lockdowns instead of a short sharp shock.

Imagine where we would be now if the entire EU had taken a NZ style approach. We’d have a whole safe continent. Maybe we could have opened corridors to parts of Asia and Aus ans NZ. Instead we, along with the US, seem to be headed for plague continent status.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

There is absolutely no way the GAA should be continuing at Level 5.

The GPA should pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Should there be a constrain the restrictions thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eigrod wrote: »

So David Brady has got his wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Morrison J wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been inevitable if we did any sort of preparation for the last 6/7 months. Government too busy patting themselves on the back instead of concentrating on testing, tracing and hospital capacity. We're paying for that now.

It's happening across Europe. We can blame the government/HSE/NPHET all we want but we're in unprecedented times, in the midst of a pandemic. It's a **** situation and we all look for someone to shake our fist to at the end of the day because it's easier than accepting that this whole thing is out of our control.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement