Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

And somehow schools will be perfectly safe at level 5 no doubt

They will be considerably safer at level 5 than at level 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Poorside wrote: »
    I wonder will they make masks mandatory even outdoors?
    A double fine, caught without a mask 5km away from your home!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's happening in other counties. 1 out of 32 saying it isn't happening isn't really a good sample size.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1015/1171773-wexford-confirm-six-players-test-positive-for-covid-19/

The Wexford testing was done because a player tested positive outside of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

AdamD wrote: »
    Absolutely hilarious that of all the things they're enforcing its the utterly pointless 5km rule

I know. How about enforcement of people isolating when they are a confirmed case or a close contact??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This type of thing has always been going on in politics. Journalist chummy with politicians get leaks so they can guage public opinion and prepare the public for whatever the action to be taken is. Isn't it funny how no one is ever held to account for leaking, though.

Isn't it funny how despite the above being so obviously the case, Varadkar was so easily able to convince the public that NPHET was making all the leaks, and not politicians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

OldRio wrote: »
    Its one to many.
    "Testing isnt happening" -> countys tested -> "its one too many"

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

rodge123 wrote: »
    Suppose I’ll have to buy 6 weeks worth of food so seen as closest shop to me is 8kms!
    And that’s a small convenience store that will fleece me for weekly shop compared to large Tesco 13km away!

You can travel. Tell them specific item name which is not available in local store. Be grand!

Poorside wrote: »
    I wonder will they make masks mandatory even outdoors?

why?? a few weeks ago they justified outdoor only dining because you were 19 times less likely to get this WHEN sitting near someone who had the virus for extended time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Cannot wait for the reassuring words from MM later. Feckin hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Downlinz wrote: »
    All these measures while schools remain open feels like building a fortress but leaving the front door open. It's baffling if they won't at the very least close the schools for two weeks along the mid term to kill the current circulation.

This is going to be a period of huge and futile sacrifice from the general public until government finally accept in 3 or 4 weeks time when numbers haven't dropped that schools are a huge part of the problem.
    At which point we'll be starting from scratch and facing a Christmas under lockdown.

Their blind stubbornness at insisting it doesn't spread in schools is just infuriating and incredibly stupid.

Where is the evidence that it spreads in schools?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Mad that amateur GAA going ahead when they will be mixing with every part of the country then going into work and schools.

529844.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Downlinz wrote: »
    All these measures while schools remain open feels like building a fortress but leaving the front door open. It's baffling if they won't at the very least close the schools for two weeks along the mid term to kill the current circulation.

This is going to be a period of huge and futile sacrifice from the general public until government finally accept in 3 or 4 weeks time when numbers haven't dropped that schools are a huge part of the problem.
    At which point we'll be starting from scratch and facing a Christmas under lockdown.

Their blind stubbornness at insisting it doesn't spread in schools is just infuriating and incredibly stupid.

Nope - all the evidence suggests schools are OK. Keep the schools open IMO they've been proven not to be an issue.

My local school has 700+ kids and not one single case in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Fitz* wrote: »
    Are we going to be back to standing outside supermarkets waiting to be let in?

That will be fun in the November Rain.

And it's hard to hold a candle
    In the cold November rain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Let's not forget the people who ignore the guidance about mask wearing, social distance, limiting household visits, etc. They have let the country down with their selfish and inconsiderate behavior.

The public as a whole had played a blinder. There's always going to be some bad apples but overall I think we've done our jobs.

Unfortunately we're basically in a position where we're on the Titanic and the captain of the ship is telling us to sort out the fact we're heading towards an iceberg. There has been zero accountability from government for how much of a balls they've made of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

440Hertz wrote: »
    The biggest disgrace is the whole previous lockdown was wasted. We did nothing about building up adequate tracing and chain breaking mechanisms and we had people pushing and pushing to get tourism back up and running, right across Europe, not just here.

The result is we may end up in a whole series of yo yo lockdowns instead of a short sharp shock.

Imagine where we would be now if the entire EU had taken a NZ style approach. We’d have a whole safe continent. Maybe we could have opened corridors to parts of Asia and Aus ans NZ. Instead we, along with the US, seem to be headed for plague continent status.

This is the product of decades of chronic mistreatment in our health system. We stuck our ears in the sand. Then, after the first wave in March we dug even deeper into the sand.

I hate where we are and don't see any easy way out. We don't have a choice.

As it see it only testing capacity was adequately improved. 100k tests per week is pretty good. Contact tracing was overwhelmed far too quickly. Health care capacity I'm more sympathetic for as something that intrinsically complicated cannot scale up in a matter of months.

Contact tracing, failure of clear concise communication and lack of admonishment for severe breaches has stung us deeply.

This was always going to be a tough winter. We just helped make it much tougher than it should have been. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

mohawk wrote: »
    I know. How about enforcement of people isolating when they are a confirmed case or a close contact??

Would be far more pertinent....but hey,this is Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

This is absolutely insane the strictest lockdown in Europe and for what? For a virus that is almost harmless for 96% of the population they've taken pretty much everything that makes life worth living but it's still perfectly safe to stuff 700 kids into a school?? Absolute jokers and cowards in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Surely the cabinet could be told to turn off their phones during a meeting? the leaks are honestly ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1318216341598470146

Gardaí getting powers to fine those who breach the 5km limit apparently.

Absolutely ridiculous, and it all it does is punish those of us already abiding by the guidelines. I’m sure the house parties will still be rocking!
    I do my weekly shop in Dunnes every week which is over 20km from my home. They have a larger selection of gluten-free products that my local Supervalu doesn’t have, and which is generally a rubbish supermarket in comparison.
    I’ll be damned if the guards tell me to turn back and shop there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am hearing people are stockpiling again. Will they never learn? It's just dumb.
    Piling into crowded supermarkets that will be fully stocked throughout any Lockdown.
    Not fair on the staff.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What happened to giving Level 3 a few weeks, more knee jerk reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sonny678 wrote: »
    This is a recorded interview below of louth senior captain on radio yestersday after louths league game v Cork. He is very critical of the GAA and the handling of everything so regard the virus.

https://twitter.com/LMFMRADIO/status...08010330411009

He said basically he cannot understand how with cases going up how GAA think the GAA players are immune to this. He said there is lot of the louth players who are teachers, allot of the Louth players are living at home with elderly parents. He siad It doesnt make any sense what the GAA are doing. He said allot of former players seem to be driving the push for a championship , he said they are writing articles and have there TV gigs. He said there was no testing at all , he cannot un-derstand this , on the Louth panel no one has being tested. He says every team should be tested before the league started. He says if they did this it would take pressure of and ease the players minds becauase they are worried. He says if someone gets postive in next week, the players are going all over louth and back to Cork. He cannot understand zero testing in the GAA. The radio pre-senter said in response he was shocked also to hear there has been no testing of the louth players. The louth captain responded by saying people say its not coming from GAA teams , he says if players are not tested you wouldnt get positive tests. He said hopefully with the GPA results survey that will get the players voice out there. He says players have to be tested, but there has be no testing. He said even some testing has to done. He said its not right, its not right to put this burden on ama-teur players. He said the GAA players are not professionals like rugby players and professional soc-cer players. They can go into bubbles and they get paid. He said GAA players are amateurs. He said player have day to day jobs and are mingling with everyone else in places like shops, GAA players are not in a bubble.
    Bevan Duffy louth senior captain was talking to LMFM radio.
    Theres is allot of rumours going around allot of the counties especially top counties in hurling and football or not testing their players before training or matches. From the Louth Captain his team have not got any testing. If your going championship you have to be testing the players if not its recipe for disaster. Soccer and rugby players are in bubbles and tested very regularly.

According to the irish times today it said that one government minister said to them thaat“The GAA cham-pionship should be called off,” said a government Minister. “This is an exceptional situation for am-ateur players. You cannot have people in their own bubbles at the weekend and then working as plumbers or doctors on Monday.”
    The rumours are cabinet is split on GAA championship, it could be called be off or it could go ahead. Will find out later this evening.

The GAA championship should be cancelled, to play an All Ireland championship in the second wave of pandemic is madness and very reckless.

Who’s forcing them to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Nope - all the evidence suggests schools are OK. Keep the schools open IMO they've been proven not to be an issue.

My local school has 700+ kids and not one single case in 6 weeks.

They don't test in schools here. Internationally it has been proven that children transmit the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

They're being tested and you aren't, though?

Well some are. The Louth captain was very vocal about this. A GAA player who’s a teacher has the potential to spread far and wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AnniePowwa

Will Yam wrote: »
    Where is the evidence that it spreads in schools?

jesus christ **** up! children are humans like everyone else they get it and spread it just like every person on the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

The lock down merchants have won!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Morrison J wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact a second lockdown was preventable. We learnt absolutely nothing from the first lockdown. I'm not just going to accept that as grand. It's horrendous leadership.

Exactly, numbers were manageable in August, close to 0 in most counties so could have stamped it out and forced quarantine for people coming in, but.nope, we rushed it, green lists and many flights a day and here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Renjit wrote: »
    You can travel. Tell them specific item name which is not available in local store. Be grand!

Ah yeah was just tongue in cheek, I’d hope they would be ok when explain situation to them at a checkpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

They can increase the restrictions all they want but I suspect the majority have had their fill with the mismanagement and confusion of this crisis.

Bar the civil service and those on the dole I don't see any support for further restrictions as the deaths simply don't justify crippling our economy and the countless other issues that arise from restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Morrison J wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact a second lockdown was preventable. We learnt absolutely nothing from the first lockdown. I'm not just going to accept that as grand. It's horrendous leadership.

It was as predictable as the summer becoming Autumn and the Autumn becoming winter.

It was never going to be avoided because it never went away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement