Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Surprised there aren't people on here calling for that to happen in ireland too. I mean, according to posts over the past few days, some people want army in the streets, the guards to have powers to enter your home willy nilly and those who might be infected to have indelible marks on their foreheads so everyone knows if they are breaking quarantine. Id say those types would love a bit of welding people in too. Crazy stuff altogether.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

GAA and horse racing continuing behind closed doors

At least won't legally be able to celebrate them win's in the pubs with everyone close together and drinking from the cups

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Ffs, what hope have we

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭quokula

440Hertz wrote: »
    The biggest disgrace is the whole previous lockdown was wasted. We did nothing about building up adequate tracing and chain breaking mechanisms and we had people pushing and pushing to get tourism back up and running, right across Europe, not just here.

The result is we may end up in a whole series of yo yo lockdowns instead of a short sharp shock.

Imagine where we would be now if the entire EU had taken a NZ style approach. We’d have a whole safe continent. Maybe we could have opened corridors to parts of Asia and Aus ans NZ. Instead we, along with the US, seem to be headed for plague continent status.

New Zealand has a population of 5 million. It is surrounded by nothing but empty ocean for hundreds of miles on all sides. The EU has a population of 450 million. It has land borders with many countries, in addition to being made up of 27 countries internally with their own governments and rules. The virus had taken hold quite severely within the EU in Italy, a country that was drawing tourists from all over the EU at the time, before most people including scientists had a full grasp of what the virus was or what was to come.

We could have done more but to get to the state New Zealand got to is a complete impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Numbers will be no better in 4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Akesh wrote: »
    They can increase the restrictions all they want but I suspect the majority have had their fill with the mismanagement and confusion of this crisis.

Bar the civil service and those on the dole I don't see any support for further restrictions as the deaths simply don't justify crippling our economy and the countless other issues that arise from restrictions.

Why do you think civil servants and people on the dole support further restrictions.
    Granted plenty of people losing jobs and that is a disaster but plenty of private sector not affected in terms of income.

Some are absolutely suffering more than others that is definite, but why single out specific groups and imply they won't mind restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

At least won't legally be able to celebrate them win's in the pubs with everyone close together and drinking from the cups

That'll stop them, I'm sure the local sergeant who coaches the under 12s will clamp down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Uggghhhh, there'll be cases studies done on Ireland for years to come, in the same way there will be with Sweden for the first wave.

Majority of Euro lockdowns are akin to our L3. Wales circuit break is just 2 weeks.

While we shout loud, I always thought we'd follow along other European nations and end up somewhere in the middle. Never did I think we would have the arrogance to think we knew best and be the extreme case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Numbers will be no better in 4 weeks
    what sort of logic is behind that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Uggghhhh, there'll be cases studies done on Ireland for years to come, in the same way there will be with Sweden for the first wave.

Majority of Euro lockdowns are akin to our L3. Wales circuit break is just 2 weeks.

While we shout loud, I always thought we'd follow along other European nations and end up somewhere in the middle. Never did I think we would have the arrogance to think we knew best and be the extreme case

It's like we're trying to be like New Zealand without actually doing any of the things that made New Zealand successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know why people are shocked at level 5 for 6 weeks.

Two weeks ago NPHET made that recommendation. On that day there were 364 cases. Yesterday there were 1284. That's an increase of more than 300%.

The epidemic is totally out of control.

Going to level 4 for 3-4 weeks is not going to get a handle on it. I'd be fairly confident that eventually schools will be closed too, for all the endless back and forth arguing about it on here.

Do we stay on rinse and repeat ......there was near single digit daily cases in the Summer then everything opens back up and we 're in the 4 digits before you know it ..............does this cycle continue ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Going to level eleventy-six isn't going to help much either if they continue to make random exceptions.

That's because someone's jimmies will always be rustled no matter what decision they take. So taking the path of less rustled jimmies and course correcting seems to be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Again our health service isn't fit for purpose hence these measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Die
    from Covid-19.

3-8 people a day will kill themselves over lockdown ? Link please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭quokula

We're not going back to these type of posts are we?

The 5k relates to exercise.......you are not expected to die of malnutrition if the shop is 5.1k away!!!

I'm amazed all these people are still alive after going months without food in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mickey15ie

are we expecting Level 4 or 5?

Will construction sites remain open

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

13 days after Level 3 came in we had a reduction in +ve swabs and +ve rate today. Time to **** the pants and introduce a police state style lockdown.

Fines for being more than 5km away from your home while amateur contact sport continues across county borders is monumental levels of horse****. And I fully support letting the GAA continue because it's one thing that's nicer than gazing at the walls all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

I am staggered that they are going to level 5. The cost of this is huge! Its like being burdened with another back bailout!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Renjit wrote: »
    That's because someone's jimmies will always be rustled no matter what decision they take. So taking the path of less rustled jimmies and course correcting seems to be an option.

The path of least rustled jimmies would surely be continuing with level 3.562 except actually enforcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭redunited

Renjit wrote: »

How does this work, my nearest supermarket is 20km away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,351 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mickey15ie wrote: »
    are we expecting Level 4 or 5?

Will construction sites remain open

5. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

who will stop them. Those guys don't give a damn as they have been showing in every hamlet for the last month at least

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Thierry12 wrote: »
    False

They welded that door closed to get people to use front door where heat scanners had been placed, no one was welded into apartments

Same as all those dead body pics and people dropping dead

Fake news

Not fake news.

People we're literally locked into their homes in China.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1244261279075794952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1244261279075794952%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3%2Ccontainerclick_1&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2Fworld%2F2020%2F0328%2F1127028-if-you-open-your-front-door-well-call-the-police%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Again our health service isn't fit for purpose hence these measures.

You can keep shouting that our health service is third world. It's not remotely true. We're the extreme case with midtable case numbers.

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/ireland-country-health-profile-2019_2393fd0a-en;jsessionid=ftguXswLWeGBCRn1V6E07kVC.ip-10-240-5-186

Headline finding: "Mortality from preventable and treatable causes in Ireland is lower than the EU average, signalling that public health policies and health care interventions are generally effective"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

AdamD wrote: »
    Absolutely hilarious that of all the things they're enforcing its the utterly pointless 5km rule

The biggest danger to the rest of society are those arse holes breaking isolation when they are supposed to be self isolating after holidays or if they are sick or are close contacts of confirmed positives.

The 5km enforcement will be good for GemGems and her pack of scumbag friends who like to visit other counties for protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

what sort of logic is behind that?

That's sweet science :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's still schools closing. If you have a better number please state it.

By your logic you could come on here at 11pm and state that supermarkets are already closed.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Acosta

From The IT:

**In recognition of the impact of the lockdown on children and young people, non-contact training can continue outdoors for school aged children but only in pods of 15.**

So kids will mix with 20 or 30 other kids in school and then will go and mix with 14 other kids playing sport after school.

And then probably see their grand parent if they're in "the pod"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Any numbers for today ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement