Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The meetings today sound absolutely chaotically farcical.

At least we have that constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

The government truly failed over the summer in relation to hospital capacity. A friend of mine is an ICU doctor/intensivist and was very angry about it.
    They spent 5 months in talks to create the coalition of chaos and then got nothing done.

Dept of Health and HSE failed. It doesnt matter who is in government. HSE has bee mismanaged for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Rx713B wrote: »
    Any numbers for today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

So are the shops closed from tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭quokula

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Do we stay on rinse and repeat ......there was near single digit daily cases in the Summer then everything opens back up and we 're in the 4 digits before you know it ..............does this cycle continue ad infinitum

Yes. Until we find something better. We had a few months after opening up of being able to live quite normally and enjoy the Summer. We're going to need to knuckle down again, we'll hopefully get down to single digits by Christmas, giving us a chance to spend time with our families in relative safety, and another few months of relative normality, which hopefully gets us far enough for a better treatment or vaccine, but time will tell. Zero covid is a fantasy because we're not in the middle of the pacific ocean, we have a land border with the UK, and we're heavily integrated with the rest of the EU and depend on daily imports and exports for society to function.

Stamping your feet and wishing it away doesn't change reality. The virus is real. Our government, just like any other, is not omnipotent and has to deal with reality and with what is possible, and make the most pragmatic decisions based on the evidence. It's not possible to beef up the HSE to deal with run away infections, no health service in the world has been able to do that. All we can do is try to keep it under control using means that have proven to work. I believe we should have gone to level 5 when NPHET first recommended it, but better late than never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Can anyone tell me (i've looked online to no avail), will dentists remain open? I've something scheduled for tomorrow, but it's step one of a two step process.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

The path of least rustled jimmies would surely be continuing with level 3.562 except actually enforcing it.

Less rustled jimmies. Not the least. Fixed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Any numbers for today ?

10s of '000's losing their jobs / businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 16,351 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me (i've looked online to no avail), will dentists remain open? I've something scheduled for tomorrow, but it's step one of a two step process.

Expected new restrictions won't kick in till Wednesday or Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Got a whatsapp saying the army are being deployed from midnight and something about a hotel and they're going to ban toilet paper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Do a bit of research or ask Chinese people before posting lies about their country

Look we could argue back and forth about the oppressive Chinese regime and I could provide you with multiple examples but you will likely accept none and continue to wail about Irish restrictions being worse - when they aren't even close, and it doesn't even matter anyways.

So I think it's best we skip all of that and just agree to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Boggles wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac: - get your jacket :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Do we stay on rinse and repeat ......there was near single digit daily cases in the Summer then everything opens back up and we 're in the 4 digits before you know it ..............does this cycle continue ad infinitum

Yep. We'll get December out of this lockdown and then we'll have another lockdown in January or February, then again in April or May.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Got a whatsapp saying the army are being deployed from midnight and something about a hotel and they're going to ban toilet paper.

very original & very funny:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

So with level 5 looming, will construction be stopped?

That's hilarious. Which whatsapp group is that? Why should you have all the fun? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

my understanding is that dentists remain open. That is based on conversations with a relative who is a dentist.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jin luk wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Any idea on the motor trade if they stay open or closed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Hubertj wrote: »
    my understanding is that dentists remain open. That is based on conversations with a relative who is a dentist.

Thanks. Wont affect my appointment tomorrow, but I'll require a follow-up in about 3-4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jin luk wrote: »

Absolutely not

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rx713B wrote:

Gone I think. If it's level 4 they could still open but not under level 5

Necro wrote: »
    Look we could argue back and forth about the oppressive Chinese regime and I could provide you with multiple examples but you will likely accept none and continue to wail about Irish restrictions being worse - when they aren't even close, and it doesn't even matter anyways.

So I think it's best we skip all of that and just agree to differ.

You dont have to give example of china. You can give example of asian or african countries where someone can be put behind the bar for months without bail recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Repairs only, no sales

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well originally they were as my dental practice sent me the following e-mail:

"In response NPHETs recommendation of level 5 restrictions nationwide

The Generic Dental Practice will remain open. The provision of dental services is considered as essential services."

Now of course it's highly unlikely that the government would deviate from that plan - it's set in stone as all know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Where can I get some of this welding tape?

Sounds like great stuff

China obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

So Japan looks like it may have obtained herd/community at least in Tokyo and we head into another lockdown and against WHO advice as not using it as a primary means to reduce transmidsion. I would like to remind all nephet/hse/government people.. there is no time limit on crimes against humanity.

Think very carefully about what and how and why you are doing this, because it will not be the lunatic fringe next time you will be facing in court or even the ballot box.. Treason against the Irish people and state unless you produce fully comprehensive scientic data and use this time very wisely to correct your wilfull neglect of certain issues over the past 6 months, like ICu beds and contact tracing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep. We'll get December out of this lockdown and then we'll have another lockdown in January or February, then again in April or May.

Yes but all of those lockdowns will be "short sharp lockdowns" and so will the ones after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Acosta wrote: »
    From The IT:

**In recognition of the impact of the lockdown on children and young people, non-contact training can continue outdoors for school aged children but only in pods of 15.**

So kids will mix with 20 or 30 other kids in school and then will go and mix with 14 other kids playing sport after school.

And then probably see their grand parent if they're in "the pod"

This should not be happening. Unnecessary risk. Schools stay open, yes. Training with 15, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Got an email from my sons school earlier saying he'll be bringing all his books home this Friday and after the mid term remote learning may be used

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement