Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Why would there be queues for shops?

They're operating perfectly fine at the moment, and nothing is changing for supermarkets, right?

Any kind of announcement like this sends some people into a panic - was the same in March, and for some more recent announcements.

It will die down in a day or so, although you might find odd items are running low for a while (toilet roll, pasta, I think we had people panic buying short-life fruit and veg at one point).

But the main point is that supermarkets were never under any likelihood of running out of produce/shutting down, and no matter what level we're on, will remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Farce of a decision.
    Students free to carry on drinking with their pup, GAA free to carry on despite piss ups in every village.
    Hundreds of thousands of people who complied with the rules out of work.
    Joke of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

amandstu wrote: »
    Link?
    Another poster provided one and then I found the research paper

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200924/Tokyo-citizens-may-have-developed-COVID-19-herd-immunity-say-researchers.aspx

Research paper

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.21.20198796v1

Throws up some very interesting questions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    If level 5...anyone knows if nct centres will keep open?
    Thks

They were closed under the full lockdown last time...dunno about this time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    If level 5...anyone knows if nct centres will keep open?
    Thks

they already blocked out the appointments for level 4 last week in donegal until january. two days before there were loads of appointments. then all gone.

so i suspect no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep. We'll get December out of this lockdown and then we'll have another lockdown in January or February, then again in April or May.

Fck it! I don't mind sitting on my sofa for a month, at least we'll have some bloody sport to watch this time ...........but if that's repeated every 3 months I'm at a loss to see what the hell is the point

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Why would there be queues for shops?

They're operating perfectly fine at the moment, and nothing is changing for supermarkets, right?

People be cray cray is the main answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

What time is M. Martin addressing the nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

owlbethere wrote: »
    What's the point of closing off licenses early? I know the reason behind it would be to curb house parties but that measure isn't going to do it. The government would be better off implementing closures on all off licences for the 4 weeks. They can close other businesses, why not off licences. That's coming from someone who would consider dipping into a bottle of spirit for a glass or 2 to be fairly essential.

I'd say there'd be absolute war if they did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Schools will close in November. Probably as extension to mid-term. Unions and teachers will demand it.

Good friend of mine is a teacher in a commercial language school.

They spent the afternoon trying to figure out if they could come to work or not. They will move heaven and earth to keep going.

Funny the difference in approach from those who will only get Covid payments and those who will continue to get their (increased this month) salary regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Supermarkets were never under any likelihood of running out of produce/shutting down, and no matter what level we're on, will remain open.

But one should always build up supplies to last a month or so. Not in the panic buying way that we see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm thinking there will be massive civil unrest before the end of the year and they will need to start internment.

Here? Apart from our resident rent a mob there won't be any "civil unrest".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

At this stage we could have been half way through a Level 5 now we are going to 6 weeks.

I hope Michael Martin is actually at a news conference or a show rather then running at leaving it to others

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm driving to Clare to see my in laws over the midterm no matter what. We barely leave the house there anyway.

Considerably more risk from my wife going to school as a teacher every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Renjit wrote: »
    Check google map store name. You can see relative busy time.

Tried a few places locally, out of interest. Supermarkets are busier than usual and a few branches of Smyths appear to be extremely busy. I can understand smyths, a little, but c'mon lads on the supermarkets. Presume off licences will be busy too with the word on restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

A six week lockdown to save lives would be fine, if that's all it was (6 weeks) But anyone with more than one brain cells knows that in January we'll be back to the same again.

Some people seem to support this lockdown in the view that you'll be able to have a normal Christmas. There's going to be no normal Christmas lockdown or no lockdown.

Next point, Northern Ireland go for a 4 week lockdown yet we go for a 6 week lockdown despite the fact that they have more cases per 100,000. THIS. MAKES. NO. SENSE

Your locked down for "only" 4 weeks if your in Derry but 6 weeks if your in Donegal (I know the ni lockdown might be extended). As much as I detest a level 5 lockdown I hate the disjointed approach even more. Its farcical!

Final point the people who makes these decisions won't be on the pup and I as a young person will be paying extra tax for this for years (which I can accept).

Kids can go to school but someone (probably) won't be allowed to play a round of golf? This certainly isn't living with the virus.

I hate to think about the amount of suicides 2020 will bring :(

To conclude f**k the people who organised house parties over the past number of months as much as the government has been useless we all know how this spreads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any sign of Leo yet or is he back in hiding?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

niallo27 wrote: »
    Radio stations are similar, fairly 50/50. Most people i know are against level 5. I thinks its fair to say, this is nothing like March in terms of public buy in

Yeah I don’t think it will be obeyed like it was in March/April because many people are very angry.
    We were told it was social gatherings, such as post match celebrations, communions etc so the solution is to close retail and put people out of jobs. Add in the fact the most people would be very critical of HSE before COVID. The goodwill that was there in March is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

they already blocked out the appointments for level 4 last week in donegal until january. two days before there were loads of appointments. then all gone.

so i suspect no

Makes sense...
    Supossed to re test the car until mid.november no idea if I will loose it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

529783.jpg
    What time is M. Martin addressing the nation?

Here he is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,043 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There's a fair bit open in retail under essential still its nothing like March to be fair. Seems to be mainly clothes shops closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,351 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Farce of a decision.
    Students free to carry on drinking with their pup,

Major source of spread I've heard

51025_me_and_my_pet_drinking_set_3.jpg?v=1542744350

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No we’re not like them. We’re a tiny fecking island with the youngest population in Europe. A natural defence.

Except been younger does not help with the other vulnerable categories.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

At this stage we could have been half way through a Level 5 now we are going to 6 weeks.

I hope Michael Martin is actually at a news conference or a show rather then running at leaving it to others

Yeah here's the thing, they rejected the advice two weeks ago.

We'd be halfway through a four week Level 5.

Soooooooo.....

Leo in particular and his idiocy on Claire Byrne after that is going to look like a total fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Morrison J wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact a second lockdown was preventable. We learnt absolutely nothing from the first lockdown. I'm not just going to accept that as grand. It's horrendous leadership.
    The gov't have f*cked up a lot, but the need for the second lockdown isn't solely on their heads. The complete lack of preparations, provisions, a decent tracking system, and headless mixed messaging, sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

I'm thinking there will be massive civil unrest before the end of the year and they will need to start internment.

This isn't France :pac:

There'll be the usual few rent a mobers and Joe Duffy complainers and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I'm driving to Clare to see my in laws over the midterm no matter what. We barely leave the house there anyway.

Only good thing about lockdown is not visiting the in-laws!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aisleseat

Does anyone have an thoughts about online retail. Will these be permitted to continue operating under Level 5 as they aren't traditional retail with customers walking in the door.
    Obviously the staff cant work from home (me) but as they aren't physical retail premises, would you think they are exempt from the retail closures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Bet your from Cork.

You rebel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Panic buyers are of a nervous disposition at the best of times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement