Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Will Yam wrote: »
    Good friend of mine is a teacher in a commercial language school.

They spent the afternoon trying to figure out if they could come to work or not. They will move heaven and earth to keep going.

Funny the difference in approach from those who will only get Covid payments and those who will continue to get their (increased this month) salary regardless.

Who do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

wish the GAA would shut the **** up to be honest. they had a chance and blew it. much more important problems for people right now. all day on the radio heard them moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Renjit wrote: »
    But one should always build up supplies to last a month or so. Not in the panic buying way that we see now.

It's good practice, sure - something that I do (maybe not a month, but I could be making dinners/reheating things I've made for maybe 3 weeks) but not really necessary given the supermarkets - bar in the case of a complete collapse in society - will always remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Will Yam wrote: »
    Good friend of mine is a teacher in a commercial language school.

They spent the afternoon trying to figure out if they could come to work or not. They will move heaven and earth to keep going.

Funny the difference in approach from those who will only get Covid payments and those who will continue to get their (increased this month) salary regardless.

Same with crèches back in July, they went over the top with procedures to ensure they could open... Temperature check on drop off, staggered drop and collection times, masks mandatory outside etc...

They didn't have unions looking for any excuse..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What about elective procedures in hospital, I presume that they are cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

aisleseat wrote: »
    Does anyone have an thoughts about online retail. Will these be permitted to continue operating under Level 5 as they aren't traditional retail with customers walking in the door.
    Obviously the staff cant work from home (me) but as they aren't physical retail premises, would you think they are exempt from the retail closures?

They were business as usual earlier in the year although delivery was a bit over the place. I don't think that'll be an issue again until closer to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Does anyone have an thoughts about online retail. Will these be permitted to continue operating under Level 5 as they aren't traditional retail with customers walking in the door.
    Obviously the staff cant work from home (me) but as they aren't physical retail premises, would you think they are exempt from the retail closures?

It was very mixed in March. My wife was trying to buy kids clothes from next and toys from smyths. Next closed fully I think, and Smyths repeatedly opened and closed online orders. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Only good thing about lockdown is not visiting the in-laws!!!!

Amen

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Thanks good I was collecting last months a huge pile of soft stones just in case the toillet paper runs again out of stock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

I'm driving to Clare to see my in laws over the midterm no matter what. We barely leave the house there anyway.

Considerably more risk from my wife going to school as a teacher every day.

Are your in-laws happy with yee arriving? The whole point of the lockdown is to stop people knowing or unknowingly passing on the virus to others not to be kill joys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

My understanding is that they will be allowed to operate as normal.

It's one thing to shut bricks and mortar shops. Not online. Revenue can still be made to help the economy and people will be spending online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What about elective procedures in hospital, I presume that they are cancelled

Sure, it's only Covid killing folks :rolleyes: Shut down everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Don't want this, obviously...

But, if it means I can travel to Dublin, during Christmas and see the lights, I'm for it

A selfish way of looking at it perhaps but, still better than the ****ing morons, who celebrated a county final win by each of them drinking out of the cup and catching the damn thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just watching Virgin news a guy who owns a shop has the mask on his mouth but below his nose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

froog wrote: »
    wish the GAA would shut the **** to be honest. they had a chance and blew it. much more important problems for people right now. all day on the radio heard them moaning.

They are a huge lobby group much like the farmers in that respect so that's why we are constantly hearing from them. As you said they had their chance and blew it.

I'm more worried about actual small businesses, taxi drivers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah here's the thing, they rejected the advice two weeks ago.

We'd be halfway through a four week Level 5.

Soooooooo.....

Leo in particular and his idiocy on Claire Byrne after that is going to look like a total fool.

The whole point of what he was saying was they never explained why level 2 to level 5 in the space of a few days.

And the government had no time to prepare for level 5.

He never said level 5 will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aisleseat

It was very mixed in March. My wife was trying to buy kids clothes from next and toys from smyths. Next closed fully I think, and Smyths repeatedly opened and closed online orders. Not sure why.

I expect the guidelines are a bit vague about this type of retail. Seems that the focus is on the bricks and mortar shops.
    I'm assuming that I'm still going to work unless told otherwise - thankful for that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Thanks good I was collecting last months a huge pile of soft stones just in case the toillet paper runs again out of stock...

I've dock leaves in the back garden under the trampoline, I'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Trampas

rob316 wrote: »
    There's a fair bit open in retail under essential still its nothing like March to be fair. Seems to be mainly clothes shops closing.

But Tesco, Dunnes etc can still sell clothes. Not fair on the local shop who we will like to support.

Journalist should ask Martin, Leo and Ryan after the 6 weeks how many extra beds be created and how will testing and tracing be improved. They need to look at themselves also than just telling us what to do. It’s great way of them saying it’s all our fault and them blameless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I'm driving to Clare to see my in laws over the midterm no matter what. We barely leave the house there anyway.

Considerably more risk from my wife going to school as a teacher every day.

I assume you're crossing county borders?... into a country with very high rates at the moment?

What if your wife picks it up from your parents and brings it back to her school????

And here's us keeping our daughter inside and away from her family, grandparents and friends in the neighborhood, to protect the schools and educations.

And does your Wife support closing schools at level 5 or not?
    How many level 3 restrictions rules exactly are you planning on breaking over mid term? (Before we even move to Level4/5 tonight)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Anyone hear if 15 people outdoors in groups for sport is going to be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

MOR316 wrote: »
    But, if it means I can travel to Dublin, during Christmas and see the lights, I'm for it
    This. If there's one good reason to bother trying to rid the country of this cursed virus, it's so that we can.. travel to Dublin... to see some lights...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

What are the positive swabs today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Varadker must feel like some idiot now.

But anyone thinking logically knew this was going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Seriously, so we do this again and then what happens?

https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1318220991533699072?s=20

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The whole point of what he was saying was they never explained why level 2 to level 5 in the space of a few days.

And the government had no time to prepare for level 5.

He never said level 5 will never happen.

Look, I know you're a big fan of Leo from your posts here. I voted FG the last three elections myself.

But he fcuked up here, pitting NPHET and the government as 'them and us'.

It was crass, unprofessional, and just downright stupid and will not stand to him very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Anyone hear if 15 people outdoors in groups for sport is going to be allowed?

TV 3 saying yes,but this will apply to children only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Sparko

Just watching Virgin news a guy who owns a shop has the mask on his mouth but below his nose

Saw him earlier. Wondered why the reporter didn't ask him to fix it, bad enough seeing people out and about wearing them wrong but they shouldn't be advertising incorrect use on the news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

MD1990 wrote: »
    Varadker must feel like some idiot now.

But anyone thinking logically knew this was going to happen.

Anyone with half a brain knew that this was going to happen and it was as clear as day since late summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement