Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

jojofizzio wrote: »
    TV 3 saying yes,but this will apply to children only

**** kids, adults need sport as well especially when they're closing gyms

• Registered Users Posts: 39,873 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Let’s hope this government will do something that they’ve failed to do so far in the term and that’s give clarity and reassurance to the country and although I know they can’t give absolute certainty but they need to give the country some hope that this is needed and that they won’t leave people high and dry. I’ve my doubts about that given the mess they’ve let happen so far since the new government came into power. And for Christ sake can Michael Martin not come across as unconvincing and dithering at least once whenever he does speak to the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

MD1990 wrote: »
    Varadker must feel like some idiot now.

But anyone thinking logically knew this was going to happen.

He needed to get his likes and look relevant, that's all that matters to him.

Not many clapping like seals now about how he "showed Tony who's the boss" etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cjyid wrote: »
    What if your kid is in school outside the 5km? Do we just....leave them there?

yes you leave them there. the government will air drop care packages for them. be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

rodge123 wrote: »
    Suppose I’ll have to buy 6 weeks worth of food so seen as closest shop to me is 8kms!
    And that’s a small convenience store that will fleece me for weekly shop compared to large Tesco 13km away!

Talking about people talking nuts of course you can travel to a supermarket. They didn't last time and will not stop people doing this. Maybe trying to support your local for some things could be a nice thing might keep them open and some people in a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

cjyid wrote: »
    What if your kid is in school outside the 5km? Do we just....leave them there?

You'd be allowed to bring them to and from school.
    If a Garda stops you, you just state that reason.

rusty cole wrote: »
    why?? a few weeks ago they justified outdoor only dining because you were 19 times less likely to get this WHEN sitting near someone who had the virus for extended time!

I think I heard that they be telling people to wear masks in a house especially if around elderly

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Thanks good I was collecting last months a huge pile of soft stones just in case the toillet paper runs again out of stock...

Use a bidet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Trampas wrote: »
    Journalist should ask Martin, Leo and Ryan after the 6 weeks how many extra beds be created and how will testing and tracing be improved.
    That would be fantastic wouldn't it?
    "In light of the serious nature of the threat posed by Covid-19, which the government have acknowledged with these restrictions, can you please precisely detail the measures you'll be taking to increase testing, tracing, and hospital capacity in the next six weeks?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Ficheall wrote: »
    This. If there's one good reason to bother trying to rid the country of this cursed virus, it's so that we can.. travel to Dublin... to see some lights...

I said it was a selfish way of looking at it. I never said it was for you or anyone else.

But hey, if you wanna be big Billy bollocks to get some "thanks" on Boards.ie of the internet, be my guest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

MD1990 wrote: »
    Varadker must feel like some idiot now.

But anyone thinking logically knew this was going to happen.

Why would he feel like an idiot? He never said that level 5 wasn't an option.

The only people who look like idiots are the people peddling this nonsense because they're proving themselves incapable of comprehending simple logic (either willingly because they have a bias against Leo/politicians or unwillingly because they aren't very bright).

Moving to Level 5 at that point would have brought all sorts of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Will golf be banned? Needs to be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are your in-laws happy with yee arriving? The whole point of the lockdown is to stop people knowing or unknowingly passing on the virus to others not to be kill joys

They wouldn't have it any other way. They wouldn't be in an at risk age

Its going to be a miserable enough winter for the kids, and they love going there.

I do truly understand lockdown. We follow the rules, but am just exhausted with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Let’s hope this government will do something that they’ve failed to do so far in the term and that’s give clarity and reassurance to the country and although not easy to give the country some hope that this is needed and that they won’t leave people high and dry. I’ve my doubts about that given the mess they’ve let happen so far since the new government came into power. And for Christ sake can Michael Martin not come across as unconvincing and dithering at least once whenever he does speak to the country.

Martin will just stutter his way through it and then get thick with the media

I am looking forward to the lamp from the greens response

He cheers me up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

If I get caught outside the 5km I can just say I'm on my way to a match? Will carry my gear around in the boot

tails_naf wrote: »
    Exactly, numbers were manageable in August, close to 0 in most counties so could have stamped it out and forced quarantine for people coming in, but.nope, we rushed it, green lists and many flights a day and here we are.

Not this crap again where is the proof it is them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

rodge123 wrote: »
    Suppose I’ll have to buy 6 weeks worth of food so seen as closest shop to me is 8kms!
    And that’s a small convenience store that will fleece me for weekly shop compared to large Tesco 13km away!

You could always travel for food shopping. Stop trying to be melodramatic .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

against what prey tell?

Covid deaths,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭landofthetree

We are looking at a lockdown till April.

While im obviously disappointed it was always going to happen.

It will be the same all accross Europe. No health system can cope. Extra ICU capacity only gives you a bit of extra time.

Even if we had double the ICU capacity it would only give us an extra two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Not this crap again where is the proof it is them.

20% community transmission might have something to do with it.

Noone knows for sure if it is but they can't say for sure it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

1031 cases

235 dub
    232 cork

Try harder Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

1031 on a Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

1031 cases, 0 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

#COVID19ireland: 1031 cases, no deaths

235 in Dublin, 232 in Cork, 60 in Galway, 47 in Limerick, 47 in Kerry

@VirginMediaNews
    5:55 PM · Oct 19, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Gavan Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We are looking at a lockdown till April.

While im obviously disappointed it was always going to happen.

It will be the same all accross Europe. No health system can cope. Extra ICU capacity only gives you a bit of extra time.

Even if we had double the ICU capacity it would only give us an extra two weeks.

Extra 2 weeks, from when exactly. So your saying if we added 390 icu beds it would only gain us 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,873 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Martin will just stutter his way through it and then get thick with the media

I am looking forward to the lamp from the greens response

He cheers me up

Look the whole lot of them aren’t my favourite people at the moment because instead of stepping up in the reopening and doing what they are well paid for, they have fumbled the ball badly by playing politics at a time when it’s not needed. I won’t be any more of a fan of Micheal Martin if he gives a true leaders speech at some point this week but I’ll at least give him some credit but I won’t hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,043 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't think Varadkar looks like an idiot, he said on CB it takes time and careful consideration. The timeline of the whole thing was the problem, NPHET say no need for Level 3 on Thursday, then you have Holohan comes back and is writing letters on a Sunday that we need to move to Level 5 immediately.

I don't blame the government for not moving sooner, maybe it was inevitable but we had to give other levels a go first. Even since the newest recommendation people have been screaming because Leo didn't click his finger and put us into 5. Shutting down an entire country is no easy task especially for a 2nd time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Why would he feel like an idiot? He never said that level 5 wasn't an option.

The only people who look like idiots are the people peddling this nonsense because they're proving themselves incapable of comprehending simple logic (either willingly because they have a bias against Leo/politicians or unwillingly because they aren't very bright).

Moving to Level 5 at that point would have brought all sorts of problems.

Bringing more problems now, and for longer though.

The issue I have is his interview with Claire Byrne where he attacked NPHET, there was no need for it.

Martin and Donnelly played the 'no one is to blame' card well.

It was at best, not thought through carefully and at worst a ploy to make him look like a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

232 Cork..... F**K!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

At least case numbers look have to have stabilised some bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement