Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Piehead wrote: »
    Will golf be banned? Needs to be

Like permanently??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

MOR316 wrote: »
    I said it was a selfish way of looking at it. I never said it was for you or anyone else.

But hey, if you wanna be big Billy bollocks to get some "thanks" on Boards.ie of the internet, be my guest :)
    I didn't think it was selfish - I just thought it was insane :P No offence really intended, sorry.
    I try to avoid Dublin like the plague (no pun intended) at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Necro wrote: »
    Bringing more problems now, and for longer though.

The issue I have is his interview with Claire Byrne where he attacked NPHET, there was no need for it.

Martin and Donnelly played the 'no one is to blame' card well.

It was at best, not thought through carefully and at worst a ploy to make him look like a hero.

Sure everyday multiple people are attacking NHPET here.

They aren't above criticism just like the government.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Some comedy gold on RTE anyway:
    Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Michael McGrath said that the Government accepts the need to provide certainty and that it will do just that.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Why would he feel like an idiot? He never said that level 5 wasn't an option.

The only people who look like idiots are the people peddling this nonsense because they're proving themselves incapable of comprehending simple logic (either willingly because they have a bias against Leo/politicians or unwillingly because they aren't very bright).

Moving to Level 5 at that point would have brought all sorts of problems.

would mean less time at level 5 would be needed.
    Need to more pro active & listen to advice.

Not listening to advice & delaying the inevitable was bad enough but then appearing on tv pubically criticizing Holahan was very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No deaths, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Does level 5 mean we see all those folk who never walk a day in their life out mad walking again and then going on Twitter and radio shows to complain about all the joggers and cyclists taking up all the paths. The same joggers who by the way are out on the paths and roads all year round come rain, hail or shine but who suddenly should be staying indoors as the lockdown nosebags suddenly want to be out walking again and dare anybody disturb them with their jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Not this crap again where is the proof it is them.

They literally just spelled it out on the news.

A bloke came back from holidays abroad, didn't isolate, and ended up infecting 56 additional people.

And that's only the number traced so far.

So, yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Cork wants to be the real capital, eh. Maybe tomorrow Cork, maybe tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭landofthetree

niallo27 wrote: »
    Extra 2 weeks, from when exactly. So your saying if we added 390 icu beds it would only gain us 2 weeks.

ICU cases doubles every two weeks with this virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

ICU numbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

hynesie08 wrote: »
    That'll stop them, I'm sure the local sergeant who coaches the under 12s will clamp down.....

I did say legally in fairness. Of course there will be tap at the back door places I aint that thick

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

statesaver wrote: »
    Cork wants to be the real capital, eh. Maybe tomorrow Cork, maybe tomorrow

It is raging here in Cork

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sure, but you or me taking a swing at NPHET doesn't really matter, we aren't public figures.

(Well maybe we are but we're all anon on Boards)

NPHET are not above criticism, but it's not the smartest idea to go on a rant about them on primetime TV on our national station either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ah here, big difference between a random poster on boards and the Tanaiste on national TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Acosta wrote: »
    From The IT:

**In recognition of the impact of the lockdown on children and young people, non-contact training can continue outdoors for school aged children but only in pods of 15.**

So kids will mix with 20 or 30 other kids in school and then will go and mix with 14 other kids playing sport after school.

And then probably see their grand parent if they're in "the pod"

Bonkers. While the rest of us stay at home and business closes to allow that carry on continue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Necro wrote: »
    Bringing more problems now, and for longer though.

The issue I have is his interview with Claire Byrne where he attacked NPHET, there was no need for it.

Martin and Donnelly played the 'no one is to blame' card well.

It was at best, not thought through carefully and at worst a ploy to make him look like a hero.

A lockdown like that, without proper preparation, would have done severe economic damage. Moving that wildly between levels would have damaged NPHET's credibility with the public, it would have undermined the whole level structure and would have undermined the government.

It wasn't tenable to move that quickly between levels into a severe lockdown. So, for me, either NPHET were either wrong on the Thursday when they said Level 2 was sufficient or they were wrong on the Sunday when they said Level 5 was necessary.

Politicians get criticised for talking in circles or waffling. Leo was very clear and didn't sit on the fence. I've no issue with people criticising him but have an issue with people presenting it as a case that "he rubbished level 5 and now has to backtrack". That's not what happened at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Tony can have his whiskey and cigar tonight

He got his wish

Country and lives destroyed for decades

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Uggghhhh, there'll be cases studies done on Ireland for years to come, in the same way there will be with Sweden for the first wave.

Majority of Euro lockdowns are akin to our L3. Wales circuit break is just 2 weeks.

While we shout loud, I always thought we'd follow along other European nations and end up somewhere in the middle. Never did I think we would have the arrogance to think we knew best and be the extreme case

Can't see it only been 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Anyone with half a brain knew that this was going to happen and it was as clear as day since late summer.

You'd have been wary of posting anything here up until quite recently suggesting that another lockdown was even possible - even though it clearly always was - because there'd be a string of posters along en masse to tell you that you that it was definitely never going to happen and there was literally no chance. They were Kings of The Thread during the sunshine days of Summer, some of them are still around still proffering what will and definitely won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

I think I heard that they be telling people to wear masks in a house especially if around elderly

In fairness this was always advised

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ICU cases doubles every two weeks with this virus.

It hasnt the last few weeks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Gonna be hard to sell six weeks of level five on a day with zero deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

jackboy wrote: »
    Gonna be hard to sell six weeks of level five on a day with zero deaths.

That thought occurred to me too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭FrogmanBegins

JP100 wrote: »
    Does level 5 mean we see all those folk who never walk a day in their life out mad walking again and then going on Twitter and radio shows to complain about all the joggers and cyclists taking up all the paths. The same joggers who by the way are out on the paths and roads all year round come rain, hail or shine but who suddenly should be staying indoors as the lockdown nosebags suddenly want to be out walking again and dare anybody disturb them with their jogging.

I must say the ' went to x location and was disgusted by all the people there' posts have become my favourite genre of social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Tony can have his whiskey and cigar tonight

He got his wish

Country and lives destroyed for decades

What a shïte comment, do you really think anyone wants that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Arghus wrote: »
    You'd have been wary of posting anything here up until quite recently suggesting that another lockdown was even possible - even though it clearly always was - because there'd be a string of posters along en masse to tell you that you that it was definitely never going to happen and there was literally no chance. They were Kings of The Thread during the sunshine days of Summer, some of them are still around still proffering what will and definitely won't happen.
    You also have the string of posters making anonymous remarks about other posters because theyre afraid to name names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Arghus wrote: »

I've been saying it years before it even happened.

This shytfest will be fully kicking, still, next Summer.

Mark it down.

• Advertisement

frank8211 wrote: »
    who will stop them. Those guys don't give a damn as they have been showing in every hamlet for the last month at least

I did say legally a new of a few areas that got burned with high and bad cases in my county it seemed to have focused the mind of a number

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement