Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tony can have his whiskey and cigar tonight

He got his wish

Country and lives destroyed for decades

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

jackboy wrote: »
    Gonna be hard to sell six weeks of level five on a day with zero deaths.

Agreed.
    Any increase in ICU numbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Certainly gonna be hard to sell it when cases are reaching their peak.

The sheep will think level 5 is working in 5 days.

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

For some perspective. First lockdown started when we had 68 ICU and 380 Hospital cases.

Today we have 34 ICU and 298 Hospital cases.

Seems like we've gone backwards alright. Good job preparing for a surge lads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

DeanAustin wrote: »
    A lockdown like that, without proper preparation, would have done severe economic damage. Moving that wildly between levels would have damaged NPHET's credibility with the public, it would have undermined the whole level structure and would have undermined the government.

It wasn't tenable to move that quickly between levels into a severe lockdown. So, for me, either NPHET were either wrong on the Thursday when they said Level 2 was sufficient or they were wrong on the Sunday when they said Level 5 was necessary.

Politicians get criticised for talking in circles or waffling. Leo was very clear and didn't sit on the fence. I've no issue with people criticising him but have an issue with people presenting it as a case that "he rubbished level 5 and now has to backtrack". That's not what happened at all.

I actually agree with you on NPHET. The sudden jump from 'it's grand' to 'Level 5' was bizarre. Their models were clearly showing the same thing so I wonder if Glynn was going with the softly, softly approach and Holohan came back and went in with a sledgehammer after reviewing the data.

I'd have preferred Leo keeping that sort of conversation off the airwaves, it just created an easy divide for people who are already worried to latch onto either side of.

The comment about them not needing PUP was particularly crass and there was no need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

He got his wish

I don't believe in lockdowns but there's no need for this. I'm sure Tony Holohan would love nothing more than this virus to f**k off. Same as the rest of us. He's trying to do a job, I've no doubt that this is just his professional opinion on what the best course of action is to get rid of this virus.

Everyone is trying to do the right thing here. There just is no right thing. We are headed for economic ruin, people dying or a balance of both. There's no good course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Does anyone know at Level 5 will search parties still be allowed to go out and look for Fungie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭FrogmanBegins

He got his wish

He'll be hailed as a hero and saviour by his cheerleaders. My mind is cast back to the start if this where some bearded degenerate tosser painted a mural of him as Superman. It's enough to sicken a brown dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Why are RTE news reporting the restrictions as fact when nothing official has been announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Certainly gonna be hard to sell it when cases are reaching their peak.

The sheep will think level 5 is working in 5 days.

Disgusting

I mean we've had the highest cases in Cork today despite on level 3 for near 2 weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This thread isn't even a week old and not far off 10k posts, mad. Seems posts are proportional to case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We are looking at a lockdown till April.

While im obviously disappointed it was always going to happen.

It will be the same all accross Europe. No health system can cope. Extra ICU capacity only gives you a bit of extra time.

Even if we had double the ICU capacity it would only give us an extra two weeks.

Lockdown till April... I find it difficult to believe you believe some of the stuff you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Arghus wrote: »
    You'd have been wary of posting anything here up until quite recently suggesting that another lockdown was even possible - even though it clearly always was - because there'd be a string of posters along en masse to tell you that you that it was definitely never going to happen and there was literally no chance. They were Kings of The Thread during the sunshine days of Summer, some of them are still around still proffering what will and definitely won't happen.

I'm not the type to say I told you so but those saying a lockdown was impossible were so aggressive with their replies that a serving of humble pie will do them some Good

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

ICU cases doubles every two weeks with this virus.

It didn't double in the last 2 weeks or from the two weeks before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

ixoy wrote: »
    That would be fantastic wouldn't it?
    "In light of the serious nature of the threat posed by Covid-19, which the government have acknowledged with these restrictions, can you please precisely detail the measures you'll be taking to increase testing, tracing, and hospital capacity in the next six weeks?"

Zara King will ask something along the lines of " What does this mean for weddings?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

growleaves wrote: »
    Does anyone know at Level 5 will search parties still be allowed to go out and look for Fungie?

Yes, if they put a member of school staff on each boat, along with 2 students and a maths book it will become immediately safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Pretzill wrote: »
    Why are RTE news reporting the restrictions as fact when nothing official has been announced?

Because Leo has been leaking all over the shop today.
    Someone needs to stick a cork up his hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

growleaves wrote: »

Fungie fooked off while the going was good.

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Repairs only, no sales

What if an essential worker needs to replace a car. Not a hypothetical- I know a nurse due to pick up a new car this Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

See in England the mayor of Greater Manchester is refusing to put the area on Very High restrictions level(which allows Shops,gyms,beauticians etc to stay open) on economic grounds.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

niallo27 wrote: »
    It didn't double in the last 2 weeks or from the two weeks before that.

Wouldn't bother. He's been talking out his rear end for weeks. Claiming lockdown till April

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

He got his wish

fidel-castrocc.gif
    What trillion dollar bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Necro wrote: »
    I actually agree with you on NPHET. The sudden jump from 'it's grand' to 'Level 5' was bizarre. Their models were clearly showing the same thing so I wonder if Glynn was going with the softly, softly approach and Holohan came back and went in with a sledgehammer after reviewing the data.

I'd have preferred Leo keeping that sort of conversation off the airwaves, it just created an easy divide for people who are already to worried to latch onto either side of.

The comment about them not needing PUP was particularly crass and there was no need for it.

Fair enough. We have different opinions on it. I'm sure, like everyone else, we both just hope this virus f**ks off and let's us consign these discussions to the boards archive. What a ****show of a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Absolutely not

According to the news construction and manufacturing are to be kept open as well as the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arghus wrote: »
    You'd have been wary of posting anything here up until quite recently suggesting that another lockdown was even possible - even though it clearly always was - because there'd be a string of posters along en masse to tell you that you that it was definitely never going to happen and there was literally no chance. They were Kings of The Thread during the sunshine days of Summer, some of them are still around still proffering what will and definitely won't happen.

You actually sound quiet smug and happy about this lockdown. Thats a bit pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Necro wrote: »

I'd have preferred Leo keeping that sort of conversation off the airwaves, it just created an easy divide for people who are already to worried to latch onto either side of.

Look they are big boys and have gotten over it.

Yeah maybe wasn't nice, or maybe they don't care.

It's time to move on and stop with all the Leo most feel like an idiot.

Maybe he does maybe he doesn't.

It's done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You also have the string of posters making anonymous remarks about other posters because theyre afraid to name names.

I'll be more specific so:

You've been one of the most consistently incorrect people on here for months, but you weren't the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

jojofizzio wrote: »
    See in England the mayor of Greater Manchester is refusing to put the area on Very High restrictions level(which allows Shops,gyms,beauticians etc to stay open) on economic grounds.....

Yeah absolutely disgraceful that. Thankfully we don't have head the balls like that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pup payment back to 350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No way NPHET will allow the country to reopen before Christmas

You might get retail back but I couldn't see them allowing any pubs, restaurants hotels back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement