Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

They wouldn't have it any other way. They wouldn't be in an at risk age

Its going to be a miserable enough winter for the kids, and they love going there.

I do truly understand lockdown. We follow the rules, but am just exhausted with this.

But your not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://extra.ie/2020/10/18/news/irish-news/nphet-becoming-dangerously-political-should-have-been-stood-down-in-summer-say-cabinet-insiders?fbclid=IwAR3kmElmXK7oTBvP2u498hGP7oYl8Dq-y-wDRLuzCwJM1HDew7xNi039s8I
    NPHET are becoming ‘dangerously political’ say Cabinet sources as a Level 5 showdown with Government rumbles on.

Half the country supports moving to Level 5 restrictions, an Ireland thinks poll for the Irish Mail on Sunday has found.

It comes as a number of Cabinet members react against NPHET’s Level 5 advice – with one source saying the public health watchdog is becoming ‘violently political’.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Longing wrote: »
    If the government had done what NPHET said two weeks ago. We would be a third of the way through our 6 weeks at level 5. But if they had acted when NPHET said to act when cases were less than 350 a day, I can tell you now we would not be looking at 6 weeks of this sh+t.

I think it might have been at least 6 weeks either way but the most frustrating part is how inevitable this was.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Predictions for lockdown #3. Id say 15 Jan.

20% community transmission might have something to do with it.

Noone knows for sure if it is but they can't say for sure it's not.

You seem to be sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bennyl10 wrote: »
    How does this conflate with the 5,7 and 14 day averages all shooting up?

5-day average: 1159

7-day average: 1100.1
    (Previous 7 days: 688.1)

14-day cases/100k: 262.9
    (7 days ago: 168.3)

This seems like a graph to show a positive with no actual proof to back it up
    Hey, I didn't pick the metric. Nevertheless it's not a terrible one, because one would always expect cases in a pandemic to grow exponentially, thus the % growth this week will be greater than the growth last week so long as the virus is spreading uncontrolled.

5, 7 & 14 day will always lag behind by 5, 7 & 14 days. The 5-day is down today on yesterday and the growth of the 7-day has slowed down.

The 14 day will continue going up even as cases are going down, think of it like a long roller coaster. The front carriages can be halfway down a drop while the back carriages are still climbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Where is the evidence that non essential retail is the cause of spread and thus need to be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

manniot2 wrote: »
    Nah, that's the move back to Level 3 of this one. Pencil in Paddy's Day 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Longing

You know its bad when you see us on SKY news.

Seamai wrote: »
    Some of us lost our jobs, I did in June, I'm in my mid 50's, been working for 35 years, never out of work, rarely sick. I'd much prefer to be employed full time than be on PUP but there is little on the horizon, I'm sure as hell not going to allow someone tell me that I'm a loser or lazy.

same here, same age group too. I hate the thought of not working throughout Winter. I have been on €300 since I lost my job in September. I don't care whether I get another €50 or not. I am lucky enough my kids are all gone so its easy to tighten my belt. I would prefer to stay on €300 than have years of austerity ahead trying to pay back some of this debt.
    Anyone who thinks people who have lost their jobs are happy to be on PUP and not at work are living on another planet. Its hugely insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

owlbethere wrote: »
    Where is the evidence that non essential retail is the cause of spread and thus need to be closed?

less than schools, thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Are NCT's going to be cancelled again with the new restrictions?

At a bit of a crossroads at the moment

There's none, but people close to each other you know, all diseased!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

manniot2 wrote: »

2nd of January things crawl back to normal,

Dodgy numbers by 9th,

Warnings by 16th,

Lockdown on 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's three sentences, or five lines, into the article.

Not a big deal but why not mention zero deaths in the headline, it's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Gruffalux wrote: »
    2020 isn't over yet

Screenshot-20201019-184542-Whats-App.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What has changed except it will be 2 weeks longer

Like I said in another post, a move at that point damages faith in the level plan, NPHET and the government.

The two weeks have given businesses time to prepare. It will have given people time to accept the idea that we were heading for a Level 5 lockdown and that increases the chances of people buying into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Is there an official statement due this evening ? T

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Postgrad10 wrote: »

9pm so i heard

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Michael will probably speak to the nation at 9.

• Advertisement

Gradius wrote: »
    They literally just spelled it out on the news.

A bloke came back from holidays abroad, didn't isolate, and ended up infecting 56 additional people.

And that's only the number traced so far.

So, yeah.

Ya he was Irish not foreigners. That is 56 of what number

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    Mr. ACE told us of the superiority of Cork compliance!

Another tactic if you disagreed with him was 'send me a personal message'. Who does he think he is, the CMO??

And threatening to leave the country if the army were employed. The ego! The last person I heard threatening that was Ray D'Arcy, if Enda Kenny ever became Taoiseach. And we all know he's still around.

Any need for posts like this ??

You don't like what someone posts, thats grand call out the post, but your getting personal here.

People of both sides of the argument make their points that's what makes a decent balanced discussion and debate on here.

Your just having a go at someone.

I dont want to get into back seat modding here far from it but this thread is descending into a I told you so, he said, she said blame game. People have their opinions, no need for posts that just have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The reason for closing non essential retail is to cut down the amount of shopping trips people make, out, get what you need and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I have no more words for the complete idiocy of all this.

And the fools who follow this blindly even applauding it. Calling for the army.

What an utter farce. And no way out. Just going to do this all over again the in February. If we're actually out of 5 by then that is.

No one is calling for the army ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    9pm so i heard

Loads more waffle from Martin incoming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

People are hilarious

'if only we listened to NPHET two weeks ago we'd be nearly over this'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Ya he was Irish not foreigners. That is 56 of what number

You're right, he's probably responsible for many more infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

well call me a cynic but I think Tony Holohan has been on a personal crusade in the fight against Covid. NOT because he has a job to do, but because he has a reputation to restore, his own, following his shameful treatment of women who got Cervical Cancer and his culpability in this and his lack of accountability or remorse. This is about damage limitation for Tony Holohan, restoring his good name (tell that to the families who buried their wife or mother in the last few years) and riding off into the sunset with the Freedom of the City on his shoulders, followed by numerous Late Late Show interviews.

Yes I am cynical. Covid has made me such. People have very short memories. There is an arrogance about Tony Holohan which was displayed very recently when he rode back into town, chomping at the bit and overode the Taoiseach in his announcement of Level 5. Poor Ronan Glynn was sent home. Should he be involved in almost running the economy into the ground when he cannot be objective right now if his wife is terminally ill?? I don't think so. Should he be at home, with his kids and his family, perhaps advising Ronan Glynn on the phone if needed? Yes, but just that! Instead he seems to need to be in the headlines, in the photos, in the press conferences, all lights on him.
    I buried a child from cancer and I know what walking the road is like with a terminal illness. I cannot understand how Tony Holohan is back at work at this time and not with his family. I couldn't concentrate on anything else in the run up to her death, I certainly was not able to work. But then again maybe I have just become too cynical in these times.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what it's like to lose a child and hope I never have to find out.

People deal with things differently. Maybe Holohan feels being at work is better for him? Who is to say he is wrong?

Even if Holohan is driven by restoring his good name, the only way to do that is by doing what is right for the country? I absolutely believe he behaved badly around the cervical cancer situation. But I don't believe he is motivated by anything other than doing what he believes is the right thing in terms of managing this virus.

I'm no fan of his. I'm no fan of lockdowns. I get the impression his focus is blinkered in that he only takes account of the impact of Covid. But I do believe that the man is motivated to do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

blgfun-202004-77.jpg

;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement