Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

While the other side will look at it in 5 days and say look its not working. If anyone looks at this on a one day basis they are idiots. It will take 2 weeks at least to see

I am trying to say I believe we have reached the peak and the level 3/4 combo is beginning to turn our curve

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jojofizzio wrote: »
    See in England the mayor of Greater Manchester is refusing to put the area on Very High restrictions level(which allows Shops,gyms,beauticians etc to stay open) on economic grounds.....

Actually no that is not what he said you missed a bit what he actually said without serious financial help from Westminster he could not do it. Did not say he would not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Donnelly will be blaming the virus

or trampolines

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well we'd be ahead of where we are now anyway. Two weeks wasted, and the
    virus isn't hanging around.
    Not really, four weeks or six weeks is an arbitrary number, it will be longer. We will not be at Level 3 in 6 weeks' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We can't afford this one either

Level 4 for six weeks would cost over a billion according to the Irish Times

Level 5 will cost more on top of that

This government found a magical money tree just before Budget 2020 so no worries there.

We'll just borrow and borrow and borrow. Zero risk.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well we'd be ahead of where we are now anyway. Two weeks wasted, and the
    virus isn't hanging around.

Plus the exponential level of growth.

What's crazy to me is that the government didn't have any plan for a level 5 when all signs were clearly going that Way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

So plough on with the intercounty GAA and schools.

Meanwhile shops close down and anyone who's not travelling to play hurling is stuck within 5km, unable to see friends and family.

Thanks, 20-30 year old lads. Your sacrifice will be ever in our hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

niallo27 wrote: »
    Level 5 on a Sunday night, no its too short notice. 2 weeks later, level 5 now. OK Tony.

Ok Leo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Like I said in another post, a move at that point damages faith in the level plan, NPHET and the government.

The two weeks have given businesses time to prepare. It will have given people time to accept the idea that we were heading for a Level 5 lockdown and that increases the chances of people buying into it.

NPHET made the recommendation the government could always have laid out a timeline to move into level 5. They do have that discretion there was no need for the excuse of "it's too quick".

That weeks end data that NPHET had was concerning. Leo could have stated it was concerning but we want to give it a little more time first. Instead he threw them under the bus and reversed over them a few times.

Also if you're in business you plan for the worst and assume the best. Use the covid data and base decisions off that for what's likely coming down the tracks. I know I'm over simplifying there as some business are in more day to day scenario.

This excuse it was NPHET that threw things into disorder was laziness on the government's part.
    More cynically, Leo gave a interview earlier that week he suggested the wrong metrics were being used by NPHET. That case numbers had too much emphasis. This was an incredibly disingenuous or unbelievablely misinformed remark. Nobody anywhere considers case numbers in isolation. Even Tony stated this repeatedly back in April and May to journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

s1ippy wrote: »

Meanwhile shops close down and anyone who's not travelling to play hurling is stuck within 5km, unable to see friends and family.

What is your problem with GAA? There are soccer games still on at all age groups why not have a pop at the FAI? Did ya not get picked for the team when you were younger?

• Advertisement

Look they are big boys and have gotten over it.

Yeah maybe wasn't nice, or maybe they don't care.

It's time to move on and stop with all the Leo most feel like an idiot.

Maybe he does maybe he doesn't.

It's done now.

Ya I am sure if they got the hump anyone said anything like that they would never have got to where they are. They be lying in a sideways position in a bad way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Plus the exponential level of growth.

What's crazy to me is that the government didn't have any plan for a level 5 when all signs were clearly going that Way.

The plan was thrown out the window after about 10 minutes when it was announced.

Safe to say there isn't a plan.

Tbh I wouldn't even trust them to have any sort of plan for vaccine rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

MOR316 wrote: »
    Ah, ha, ha, ha, Level Five, Level Five
    Ah, ha, ha, ha, Level Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

AIfE.gif

For staying alive

Sexiest remark, lads and lassies (plus the rest)

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

statto25 wrote: »
    What is your problem with GAA? There are soccer games still on at all age groups why not have a pop at the FAI? Did ya not get picked for the team when you were younger?
    The superspreader events all over the country specifically.
    Sexiest remark, lads and lassies (plus the rest)
    They actually specifically left out the camogie players and ladies football from the groups who were culpable of the aforementioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

I am sure he will be looking after his wife and making sure she is okay. Again it is the government who is making this decisions. I bet you were celebrating the government for sticking it to him 2 weeks ago. They make the decisions.

Do you not think that might be clouding Holohan's judgement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

On the radio this morning there was a reference to numbers by the end of the month, including 100 in ICU. I did not pick up the other numbers.

Given that those numbers will arise no matter what happens now, it will be interesting to see how accurate they actually are, particularly given this is the basis that decisions are being made to shut down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hayley_Rae wrote: »
    And the people sacked in February didn't ask for it either yet they're getting 203 a week. Do they not have mortgages to pay? Kids in college?

This is more wealth consolidation for the asset owning class. Your daughter was probably getting 350 a week for nearly 6 months when she didn't deserve it!

I never asked to be saddled with disgusting tax increases in a couple of years either while this government have completely thrown young people under the bus for the last decade. They're scum! They're scum!

No she wasn’t getting €350 a week actually, not that it’s your business. None of us have asked to be saddled with tax increases. Your anger towards pup recipients is misdirected, your anger towards government understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fair play keep blaming the younger generation for the incompetence of government and the HSE nice hall pass for them. What the **** did the government do during the first lockdown in anticipation of the winter. Contact tracing ramped up was it? ICU capacity increased? Extra medical staff hired?
    Ah no it's all the fault of the young.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

So they are leaving open everything that's actually spreading the virus ..schools,sports etc and are closing shops and hairdressers where there have been no clusters??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    Kindergarten stuff. If you've something to say, say it. For fear you won't get a gold star at the end of the week.

I'll say this in plain English. ACE is a know it all condescending poster. Extremely arrogant. He bullies to get his point across. Never accepts his wrong.

I'll accept a ban as I'm not a lily livered brown noser.

Fair play thats your opinion. Kind of coming across as a bit of a bully yourself at the moment.

Nah I'd rather not take a ban, wouldn't be worth it. Not interested in tit for tat posts that add nothing to topic.

Anyway off to the gym for me before they close.

I see we have gone from 2 weeks ago the Government are in charge look at them taking control to now back to its all NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Actually no that is not what he said you missed a bit what he actually said without serious financial help from Westminster he could not do it. Did not say he would not

Okay,I did leave that part out...point is he’s playing hardball with the powers that be,I couldn’t see anyone here standing up to the government in that fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 18,047 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MOR316 wrote: »
    I've never seen a guy, get such a kick out of a bad situation, like the way George Lee does

Most these fellas will be out the job after the pandemic is over sure

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Turtwig wrote: »
    NPHET made the recommendation the government could always have laid out a timeline to move into level 5. They do have that discretion there was no need for the excuse of "it's too quick".

That weeks end data that NPHET had was concerning. Leo could have stated it was concerning but we want to give it a little more time first. Instead he threw them under the bus and reversed over them a few times.

Also if you're in business you plan for the worst and assume the best. Use the case data and base decisions off that for what's likely coming down the tracks. I know I'm over simplifying there as some business are in more day to day scenario.

This excuse it was NPHET that threw things into disorder was laziness on the government's part.
    More cynically, Leo gave a interview earlier that week he suggested the wrong metrics were being used by NPHET. That case numbers had too much emphasis. This was an incredibly disingenuous or unbelievablely misinformed remark. Nobody anywhere considers case numbers in isolation. Even Tony stated this repeatedly back in April and May to journalists.
    Well, they did not tell their boss, the MoH, that Level 5 was on the table. There is also the question of how they got from Level 2 to Level 5 in 2 days. They may have got their recommendation right but they royally screwed up on the communication and the sulk over the leak was embarrassing for a long-term public servant like the CMO.

I see we have gone from 2 weeks ago the Government are in charge look at them taking control to now back to its all NPHET
    Did you not hear of the violent political coup d'etat this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

There's no support for a lockdown this time around, people are fuming.

We can't just keep repeating this over and over until there's a vaccine...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

So they are leaving open everything that's actually spreading the virus ..schools,sports etc and are closing shops and hairdressers where there have been no clusters??

Schools aren't spreading it. Households are sending it into schools, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

529867.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The superspreader events all over the country specifically.

Thought you were hell bent on blaming the schools,now it's the Gaa

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement