Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

There's no support for a lockdown this time around, people are fuming.

We can't just keep repeating this over and over until there's a vaccine...

Polls indicate otherwise, is a big level of support for level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Well we'd be ahead of where we are now anyway. Two weeks wasted, and the
    virus isn't hanging around.

Just means we'd be 2 weeks closer to the next lockdown

So they are leaving open everything that's actually spreading the virus ..schools,sports etc and are closing shops and hairdressers where there have been no clusters??

Welcome to our utterly incompetent and inept government where everything is arse backwards and economies ploughed into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Schools aren't spreading it. Households are sending it into schools, not the other way around.

lol what?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Schools aren't spreading it. Households are sending it into schools, not the other way around.

Irregardless cases aren't coming from retail are they and that's what's closing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

Fair play keep blaming the younger generation for the incompetence of government and the HSE nice hall pass for them. What the **** did the government do during the first lockdown in anticipation of the winter. Contact tracing ramped up was it? ICU capacity increased? Extra medical staff hired?
    Ah no it's all the fault of the young.

The hse and government were the young people at one stage. They were probably screwed over at some stage themselves.

I believe that there are up to 1 million working people who pay no income tax. This will have to change. The middle class can't pay for everything.

To avail of the pot in bad times you must contribute to the pot in good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Polls indicate otherwise, is a bug level of support for level 5
    For more restrictions yes, that doesn't mean Level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, they did not tell their boss, the MoH, that Level 5 was on the table. There is also the question of how they got from Level 2 to Level 5 in 2 days. They may have got their recommendation right but they royally screwed up on the communication and the sulk over the leak was embarrassing for a long-term public servant like the CMO.

The process is equally as important as the recommendation.

That was poor by NPHET, but then again I do not think NPHET is fit for purpose so I admit bias on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm not fuming. I was fuming at the blatant disregard for guidelines, I still am. But I'm not fuming about lock down, just that it had to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So they are leaving open everything that's actually spreading the virus ..schools,sports etc and are closing shops and hairdressers where there have been no clusters??

Two hair stylists in Missouri interacted with a total of 139 clients and six coworkers before learning they both had COVID-19 — thankfully, the stylists didn't pass the virus on to any of these contacts, according to health officials.

The stylists work at a Great Clips salon in Springfield, where various safety measures were put in place to mitigate potential COVID-19 spread, according to a statement from the Springfield-Greene County Health Department.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

All the scientific evidence suggests that hairdressers/barbers dont spread covid once masks and a proper cleaning process is in place.

Its ridiculous they are closed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Person in house gets virus (work, school, gaa wherever) infects a student, student goes to school and infects other students and staff, they bring it home, infect other students and adults, who then again bring it into school and work.

Its all connected, none if it works in isolation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If they put further restrictions on people the gaa should be first to go.
    If the gaa continues its a fcukin jokeshop of a set up and a gutless act by government.
    Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

There is absolutely no justification for a level 5. Yesterday in the Irish Independent an article stated that hospitals are no busier than a normal October. I was under the impression that they had normal patient levels PLUS Covid patients on top of that. Not so apparently.
    I have serious questions as to what direction we are taking as a nation with this.
    Punish small businesses, fine those who wish to travel more than 5km from their home for some scenery / fresh air? Destroy people’s mental health & remove the ability for them to exercise and maintain their health over the winter, destroy our economy and possibly spear head us towards bankruptcy. Create, push and maintain a constant narrative of fear, hysteria and negativity. Allow no good news or the joys of life to prevail - plaster videos of them across social media to get the permanently outraged mob after them...
    How on earth does the cure here justify the risks of Covid? I agreed with level 3 which still allowed society to function while helping shield the vulnerable to help us through this wave. However none of the figures justify what the leaks from cabinet are currently suggesting. Surely more voices should be coming out in opposition to this utter madness.

That's a load of hooey and you know it. Household with a few people versus environment with hundreds of pupils. Guess which is the more likely offender?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I believe there are polls that indicate quite a large level of support for these restrictions.
    Obviously it will be divisive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I really wish the government would get themselves together in terms of crisis management and communication.

1. The constant drip feeding,media leaks and constant speculation is no good for anyone.

2. Be decisive, and deliver one message from in clear source - not Michael/Leo/Tony/Simon/Stephen etc. One clear message with fundamental changes with 1 hours notice.

3. Explain the rationale behind the sport continuation given the rest of us can't go to the gym etc. Clearly at odds with everything else

4. Something that reasonates with children - I've heard so many ask in recent weeks, why is it too dangerous for you to go to work but I can go to school

5. Scrape the levels if get are going to be amended, we must be on level 3.99 now.

The message isn't great & we'll have to deal with that and we are resilient enough to do what's needed but it's the communication piece that's annoying the hell out of people. Clear, simple messaging needed & less of the I'll leak to the media first nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is it just me who thinks this shouldn’t be coming through the media ? The information should be given by a Government briefinf with clear concise and information guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

lol what?

Yes. Lol. Kid gets infected by someone at home then brings it into school. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If the gaa continues its a fcukin jokeshop of a set up and a gutless act by government.
    Time will tell

Don't understand how GAA or LOI football can continue myself. Most have day jobs, easier to bubble professional sports.

I get that people need sport in their life, heck I'd be lost without it but just doesn't make sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Time will tell

Intercounty can continue if there is proper testing provided to each time. GAA is far from the first thing that's needs to go

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A good friend of mine has a shop in Cork. He's 66 so he doesn't get the PUP. What's he supposed to do? He has no choice but to close down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

statto25 wrote: »
    Intercounty can continue if there is proper testing provided to each time. GAA is far from the first thing that's needs to go

What if Waterford won their first All Ireland since 1959?

Good luck stopping the celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Can't actually believe they are letting the GAA go ahead but shutting down small businesses. I give in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

There is support though, not on this thread, but there is. If there was widespread lack of support or opposition, we'd be seeing protests, but we won't

Less than 15% of people in this journal poll opposed phase 5 of lockdown - over 15,000 people voted

https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-restrictions-5224899-Oct2020/

May be biased, perhaps people more likely to be supportive of restrictions also look up covid news online, but 15k is cerainly not a small sample size in a country our size regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What if Waterford won their first All Ireland since 1959?

Good luck stopping the celebrations.

Especially with that muppet in dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Have you not heard any of the surveys of the general population. Most people want action taken, to do whatever is necessary to stop this virus and keep people safe. That's the sign of a nation, a republic, over an economy. We'll protect those who need protecting and we'll make up the economic ground once the danger has passed.
    We're not going to have much choice except to keep repeating whatever is necessary. The alternative is something you don't want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

That's something I don't get. My god. The congregating after sports games has shown to be a huge problem for spread and so their answer is to close non essential retail. My god.

I was supportive of the original lockdown and I was supportive of the guidelines and I am still supportive of the guidelines. A lot of them is sound and I want to minimise risk of infection and sickness and picking this virus up and spreading it. I will continue with the guidelines but this. I have no words right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

s1ippy wrote: »
    A good friend of mine has a shop in Cork. He's 66 so he doesn't get the PUP. What's he supposed to do? He has no choice but to close down.

Unbelievable how that's overlooked.

Presume they'll just tell him to apply for the grant per week of closure but I doubt that'll be of much comfort to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, they did not tell their boss, the MoH, that Level 5 was on the table. There is also the question of how they got from Level 2 to Level 5 in 2 days. They may have got their recommendation right but they royally screwed up on the communication and the sulk over the leak was embarrassing for a long-term public servant like the CMO.

Watch their press conference on the Wednesday afterwards. The data they had on Thursday was markedly different to that Sunday. They explained it quite well.

The minister of health had to know a Sunday meeting shouldn't happen if they thought ah level 2 looks fine. Iirc he was given advance notice about potential level 4 before meeting begun.

Communication has been poor I agree there. It vexes me no end that we cannot see their slides as they talk about them.

I suspect the leak was government side. Took away all the focus of the leaving cert cock up. They were able to move to level 3 far easier too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

And schools sending it back to other households.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement