Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There's no support for a lockdown this time around, people are fuming.

We can't just keep repeating this over and over until there's a vaccine...

There really isn’t an alternative.

Aside from starting to penalize folks breaking restrictions which should have been done, an underused tool in my opinion. A few stories of that nature on 6 one.

Pub up the road was raided by the Gardai during lockdown... about 12 people inside, regular punters, drinking.... I’ll bet 1000 euros that when it’s time to renew their license, nobody, Gardai, anybody will oppose or object to it being granted, renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

With the likes of Harvey Norman, Power City etc. closed, so those masses of people squashed up against each other buying a tv will stop, and with nobody able to have a drink in the fresh air outside a bar, or a ham & cheese toastie with coffee outside a cafe, we have a serious chance to contain this virus. Yes, house parties and mass gatherings will continue, but the worst of it has now been stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Most countries in Europe are having the same issues as us, and our infection rate is lower than most of them.

It's easy to criticise, but only a tiny number of countries worldwide have succeeded in keeping numbers low.

Australia is the one to watch (and copy and follow) to see how its done but that won't ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

With the likes of Harvey Norman, Power City etc. closed, so those masses of people squashed up against each other buying a tv will stop, and with nobody able to have a drink in the fresh air outside a bar, or a ham & cheese toastie with coffee outside a cafe, we have a serious chance to contain this virus. Yes, house parties and mass gatherings will continue, but the worst of it has now been stopped.
    Don't know about Harvey Norman but you can't get very far into Power City and there is no browsing in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Feel sorry for SMEs, they're being destroyed by this government, while bog football is still allowed to go ahead, it's an absolute farce!

Bog football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Brilliant short video explaining Covid using Leaving Cert maths, very interesting to maths duds like me anyway. Easy when it’s explained visually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=tnB1MPYyL7o&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Can anyone confirm if manufacturing is staying open thanks?

It's specifically manufacturing for the construction industry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Gradius wrote: »
    Do you have a coffee table? Lift it up and down twenty times a day.

Do you have a bath? Flop around it like a beached dolphin for 20 minutes a day.

Less costly, less dangerous and a lot more fun.

I've got dyspraxia. If I tried either of those options it would end up in paramedics being called and possibly the fire brigade . I'd probably be safer in the gym. The equipment might not work after....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Did anyone mention essential care in a home and essential child care ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Feel sorry for SMEs, they're being destroyed by this government, while bog football is still allowed to go ahead, it's an absolute farce!

They're topping the polls are this govt all the same. And I'm pretty sure a fair few owners and operators of SMEs will still vote for them next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Power city is only collection and Harvey Norman limited the amount of people in so I am not sure there were masses squashing together

Little bit less hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

XsApollo wrote: »
    These C*nts are a f**king joke.
    It’s maddening how people’s lively hoods are being f**ked up because of the inaction of these w**nkers in power.

They had the chance back after the first lockdown To eradicate the virus when we were in single digits.

But they did nothing, Kn*ackers arriving everywhere , tourists doing what they like , borders wide open on the pretence that they had to keep them open to keep business going but here we are again shutting Businesses down ruining the bloody country.

All they had to do was lock the borders , Ban tourists, business travellers, Mandatory quarantine and test for anybody arriving in and penalties for not doing so.

But they couldn’t do it or didn’t have the balls.

I rarely get mad at politics, I just bury my head in the sand usually, because it’s a waste of time.
    It’s the good law Abiding people that get shafted as always In this country while the chosen few do what they like.

They simply didn’t have the stones to discomfort and discommode the business community.... they are a rabble in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If the GAA took the decision to halt everything right now, they would be highly respected for that I believe.

As it is, they have no respect from me. Do they really need to be instructed on this. Is it a money thing or what? Can't get my head around it TBH.

Their players are at risk, and since all are amateurs with other jobs it is not a good thing to keep playing. IMO of course. We all are suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Bog football

Shows where the mentality really lies with these types. It's damn all to do with saving lives and more to do with a hatred of GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Any mention of travel yet? That's not stopped I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Necro wrote: »
    Ah right you're of that school.

I'll let you carry on too.
    The non hysterical school, is it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah lads can you not tell the difference between club teams where the whole panel and supporters go out on the piss compared to intercounty where most of these boys don't even drink plus there will be no where to drink anyway. It will keep a lot of people going through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

statto25 wrote: »
    Shows where the mentality really lies with these types. It's damn all to do with saving lives and more to do with a hatred of GAA.

Yeah . Funny that Dublin are the best at it aswel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »
    Don't know about Harvey Norman but you can't get very far into Power City and there is no browsing in the shop.

Maybe its me but I detected obvious sarcasm in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

JimToken wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if manufacturing is staying open thanks?

It's specifically manufacturing for the construction industry

Yes according to RTE.
    Construction will remain open under the plan, while people will also only be able to exercise within five kilometres of their homes.

Wouldn't be much point keeping construction sites open if the likes of precast factories, window manufacturers etc cant open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cheers, will book my barber for Wednesday morning so:)

Went this morning myself, out the door at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Maybe its me but I detected obvious sarcasm in that post.
    It's you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I've got dyspraxia. If I tried either of those options it would end up in paramedics being called and possibly the fire brigade . I'd probably be safer in the gym. The equipment might not work after....

No problem. Find the nearest street lamp, string yourself up by the angles and flip, flop and flap yourself to uncoordinated glee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's you!

You sure now? Looks like Loafing Oaf thinks so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Power city is only collection and Harvey Norman limited the amount of people in so I am not sure there were masses squashing together

Little bit less hyperbole

?s=fatherted&e=S03E06&i=S03E06-SluZkYDF&t1=I%20THINK%20PODGEANDRODGE%20WAS%20BEING%20&t2=A%20BIT%20SARCASTIC

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yeah . Funny that Dublin are the best at it aswel

And are All Ireland champions for years. Back at ya. :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is this the latest tactic? Bribe the naughty children?

Do they seriously think this is a grown up approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Who cares, there’ll be nothing left by December.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement