Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭bikeman1

What is the thinking behind the 5k rule? I recall someone in government saying when we came out of the first lockdown that the distance rules like the 5k are not a useful tool.

Yes, I get they want to keep people close to home, but 5k is just stupid. Can anyone point to one other country adopting this approach for round two?

My view is that it is there to annoy people and give the guards something to actually police at the local checkpoints. Complete waste of resources. They had a checkpoint outside Lidl and Homebase the other day. Can you imagine the embarrassment of being a copper to do that job!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kayjay123

Sky dish blew down and due to have a visit from sky engineer during the week. As we are moving to level 5 i take it Sky engineers are out of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hmm, leaders of the country! I wonder who promised them that?!

For anybody who believes it will be 6 weeks only, I've a bridge in Brooklyn to sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Have NI introduced the same lockdown measures ?

Retail still open in NI

boggerman1 wrote: »
    And what about the time missed from mid March to end of June or have u conviently forgot that

Okay. Include that and I repeat my point.

Everything being sacrificed on the altar of the schools. Whether schools spread this is irrelevant IMO.....it’s clear to me that in an effort to keep them open as normal, the government is prepared to sacrifice thousands of jobs and pay a huge fiscal price. I never realised that the current generation of kids was so precious. I think that the government had made a huge miscalculation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Could a whole industry of shops just say **** off and stay open. Like say if all barbers, toy shops or gyms etc just said we're not closing. What could be realistically done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

The_Brood wrote: »
    Whatever else is to happen, this government must end up in prison. Justice must be done. They are criminals.

Lock up and destroy the economy, but keep schools open and give no powers to the guards to stop house parties. Ok sure. If you're shot in the leg, do nothing about it but pull out your teeth, because....reasons?

Prison. Mass protests, boycott everything, virus or no virus until these people are rotting in prison.

Steady on, old chap.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

How does one exercise in the dark within 5km of their home if they’re in the countryside? Especially when working during the day.

Threadmil turbo trainer, planks, free weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Whatever else is to happen, this government must end up in prison. Justice must be done. They are criminals.

Lock up and destroy the economy, but keep schools open and give no powers to the guards to stop house parties. Ok sure. If you're shot in the leg, do nothing about it but pull out your teeth, because....reasons?

Prison. Mass protests, boycott everything, virus or no virus until these people are rotting in prison.

and we have a new winner for most batsh1t tweet over the course of Covid

That was a damn high bar to reach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

If the rumours about weddings staying at 25 are true I expect at least 75% of you to lose your sh!t. Myself and Zara King have one reply to that "Up yours motherf*ckers!!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Erm steet lights for a run?

Next weeks class I'll explain how to tie your shoelaces

Eh countryside? No street lights within 5km? Next week class I’ll explain what it’s like to live out in the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

How does one exercise in the dark within 5km of their home if they’re in the countryside? Especially when working during the day.

Not sure but they should definitely wear high vis gear and a blinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mentalist post in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I think there’ll be an inquiry into the handling of this after it’s all over and the decision not to give guards power to break up house parties will be seen as a major failing. It’s clear this is a major spreader. I see them every evening I go to the supermarkets stocking up on drink and bags of ice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Okay. Include that and I repeat my point.

Everything being sacrificed on the altar of the schools. Whether schools spread this is irrelevant IMO.....it’s clear to me that in an effort to keep them open as normal, the government is prepared to sacrifice thousands of jobs and pay a huge fiscal price. I never realised that the current generation of kids was so precious. I think that the government had made a huge miscalculation

I think the mental health of children & their development is hugely important. However, I’d expect that the impact of unemployment on the children of those unemployed will be worse than more time off school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Education minister raised concerns about schools remaining open

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1318267842928742411?s=19

Not sure, it says about "ability to remain open". Sounds like recognition of the concerns teachers and unions will have that could lead to industrial action to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

We need to pull together and flatten the curve

The next 6 weeks is crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

bikeman1 wrote: »
    What is the thinking behind the 5k rule? I recall someone in government saying when we came out of the first lockdown that the distance rules like the 5k are not a useful tool.

Yes, I get they want to keep people close to home, but 5k is just stupid. Can anyone point to one other country adopting this approach for round two?

My view is that it is there to annoy people and give the guards something to actually police at the local checkpoints. Complete waste of resources. They had a checkpoint outside Lidl and Homebase the other day. Can you imagine the embarrassment of being a copper to do that job!

There were plenty ignoring the own county rule. Maybe that's why. But people who didn't follow level 2 didn't follow level 3 and are not going to follow 5 or 4.7 or whatever we are on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

If the rumours about weddings staying at 25 are true I expect at least 75% of you to lose your sh!t. Myself and Zara King have one reply to that "Up yours motherf*ckers!!!!!"

Hopefully next week's post is better than this effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Hopefully next week's post is better than this effort

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Are anti mask protests allowed to go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hurrache wrote: »
    Mentalist post in quite a while.

Not sure it's even the most mental post on this exact theme in this thread today:
    speckle wrote: »
    So Japan looks like it may have obtained herd/community at least in Tokyo and we head into another lockdown and against WHO advice as not using it as a primary means to reduce transmidsion. I would like to remind all nephet/hse/government people.. there is no time limit on crimes against humanity.

Think very carefully about what and how and why you are doing this, because it will not be the lunatic fringe next time you will be facing in court or even the ballot box.. Treason against the Irish people and state unless you produce fully comprehensive scientic data and use this time very wisely to correct your wilfull neglect of certain issues over the past 6 months, like ICu beds and contact tracing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Who, in their right effing mind, are trying to get married now anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

If you think this is going to be 6 weeks, your in for a shock. Next April at best.

Hopefully civil servants get put on pup as well. If they are not working, they should not get their full wage. Fair is fair.

Also rumours that golfing will be allowed (its the journal, so I’d been stunned if true). If it is allowed then they will lose the populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Fann Linn wrote: »

Course they will be. Any gob****es like Gemma o Doherty will be allowed March up grafton st again with no masks intimidating shoppers chanting “take off your masks”. Zero enforcement in this country it’s a total joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Fann Linn wrote: »

Within 5km of their homes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

While I understand the need to flatten the curve, I can't help feeling that the curve will be back to these high levels shortly after we emerge from lockdown. Strict enforcement of the guidelines is crucial whatever level we are at. Otherwise we will be on this continuous loop until a vaccine is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Erm steet lights for a run?

Next weeks class I'll explain how to tie your shoelaces

Run on the spot indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

Passed by the anti restrictions protestors in Cork yesterday. Nice crowd, men and women, all ages, very friendly, more hippyish than anything. Fair play to them, it's hard to stand up for what you believe in with so many third reichers sneering from the sides.

As for level five. I myself will absolutely ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Gradius wrote: »
    Who, in their right effing mind, are trying to get married now anyway??

Cheap time to get married in all honesty. Cheap time to die as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement