Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

It's astounding that the GAA, off licences and takeaways are considered essential and they're attempting to close businesses that have had ZERO cases of COVID.

NPHET and the Government can go **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

[/b]
    Golf is about the safest sport around during covid-19.
    No equipment is shared.
    It's outdoors.
    And it's easy to keep your social distance.

Is also for the richest 10 pct in society. A severe own goal of they allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Power city is only collection and Harvey Norman limited the amount of people in so I am not sure there were masses squashing together

Little bit less hyperbole

Correct on PowerCity! Forgot that. Harvey was open to browse.

I was being sarcastic by the way, normal amounts of people well able to distance, and I think they should remain open and are not a reason for current transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

E36Ross wrote: »
    Has there actually been an official announcement or is there going to be one later tonight?

What is the delay in giving a clear concise plan on WTF they plan to do?

They're waiting for those multitudes of spin doctors to create the spin. That's the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has there actually been an official announcement or is there going to be one later tonight?

Are you serious? A clear concise plan? I wish you well on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

You can't keep closing and opening everything.
    The country will be destroyed for years.

In fully aware of that. That doesn't stop the folks who think that a lockdown is the only answer despite many studies showing it has only a short term impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

They will be closed soon enough I reckon.

They are being kept open so people can work. But many won't be able to under L5 anyway, so it's a protection for those who WFH and won't go doo lally trying to work and educate simultaneously. I think anyway. Otherwise can't figure it out myself either.

Isn’t there a ballot out by ASTI to walk off? I heard that on Newstalk today. I have no pawns in this game though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

We've already been waiting a couple months so what's another few?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's you!

Plumb is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

They're looking at Twitter and readjusting back down to level 3 having seen the outrage there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Personally I can't wait to start clapping at my front door . I don't know why I stopped

If people return to the "Stay safe" mantra I'll go bezerk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

So you'll still be able to meet other people away from their house.
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1318257366463352832?s=19
    Great, meanwhile we've two funerals we'll be over the capacity of ten people for (when you count their children), probably before the end of the year. Gut punch after gut punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

That is not really a theory, more a social media meme from the poorly informed.

There is a general tendency to over simply virus spread into having an impact/not having an impact, or safe/unsafe, or this is safer than that therefore we should not be be prevented from doing this. etc.
    But it cannot be looked at in this black and white manner.

The chain of transmission has many many links, and all contribute to the overall spread and R0. Individual factors have greater or lesser contributions, and also have different levels of importance to society in general. It is never true to say schools are or are not having an impact. Whereever people interface, there is an impact.

The task of the politicians is to weigh up the sum of all factors contributing to spread, and weigh up the the impact on society, health, and the economy of curtailing these activities to varying degrees, and balancing those two elements with the capability of the health service to handle the caseload. The data and advice on the virus element is provided to them by NPHET.

It's a fair point but at the end of the day, sending kids back to school either results in an increase in cases or it doesn't. Yes there are other contributing factors but there is an outcome associated with that decision.

Some people think it's more than the government are admitting. This lockdown should give a good indication if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

statto25 wrote: »
    In fully aware of that. That doesn't stop the folks who think that a lockdown is the only answer despite many studies showing it has only a short term impact.

Have we gone for one of the most restrictive lockdowns in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ddarcy wrote: »
    Isn’t there a ballot out by ASTI to walk off? I heard that on Newstalk today. I have no pawns in this game though...

Similar to you, I thought L5 would mean schools would close. So if L5 is on the cards the teachers are well within their rights to walk off IMO. No skin in the game either here just to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

We need to pull together and flatten the curve

The next 6 weeks is crucial

Indeed.

Heard and read it so many times...

I know you were sarcastic BTW.

But the next 6 weeks must be crucial now.

If not, the first four weeks of January will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think this review after 4 weeks is nuts. Just do it for 6 weeks and get it over with.

I think that releasing the restrictions back to level 3 or whatever, BEFORE Christmas is going to skyrocket the numbers again.....?

Have we gone for one of the most restrictive lockdowns in Europe?

Haven't Wales shut their schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

ddarcy wrote: »
    Is also for the richest 10 pct in society. A severe own goal of they allow it.

It's for anybody, tauns just prefer soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

MM speech at 9. Could they not let someone less depressing to have a go at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Really can't see teachers staying at level 5 so this government will be wrecking one of their own highest priorities

That's why they should have gone for level 4+

jackboy wrote: »

Joe Duffy perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Well it couldn't go higher in fairness..

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1318261919862689793

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1318257366463352832?s=19
    Great, meanwhile we've two funerals we'll be over the capacity of ten people for (when you count their children), probably before the end of the year. Gut punch after gut punch.

My finances depend on weddings but honestly I would much prefer they prioritise funerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

That is not really a theory, more a social media meme from the poorly informed.

There is a general tendency to over simply virus spread into having an impact/not having an impact, or safe/unsafe, or this is safer than that therefore we should not be be prevented from doing this. etc.
    But it cannot be looked at in this black and white manner.

The chain of transmission has many many links, and all contribute to the overall spread and R0. Individual factors have greater or lesser contributions, and also have different levels of importance to society in general. It is never true to say schools are or are not having an impact. Whereever people interface, there is an impact.

The task of the politicians is to weigh up the sum of all factors contributing to spread, and weigh up the the impact on society, health, and the economy of curtailing these activities to varying degrees, and balancing those two elements with the capability of the health service to handle the caseload. The data and advice on the virus element is provided to them by NPHET.

Yeah and they decided that escaping anger from failed, miserable parents who can't stand their own children at home is worth sacrificing the economy for.

Makes you wonder just how many failed parents there are in Ireland, and who or what is responsible for that. Why have children if you can't even imagine functioning with them around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Any news on construction workers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Haven't Wales shut their schools?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

jackboy wrote: »

Eh cos he's the leader of the country, funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Bog football

Ironic the Dubs are the best in the country at bog football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,310 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Eod100 wrote: »

Arrogance personified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement