Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,363 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could they not do something nice like drop a free bottle of whiskey to each house every Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,978 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What movie was that speech from

• Registered Users Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tzardine wrote: »
    Plan was always to keep schools open at level 5.

That still doesn't make it any less silly. Our uptick in cases coincided with the schools reopening. Hard to believe that that isn't having any affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

polesheep wrote: »
    If any of those kids were mine I'd come after you with a 2x4. As it stands, I hope some of them come after you with a solicitor. They have no masks on because they are outside and you have no evidence whatsoever of what they were saying to each other. Christ! Is this what Iteland has come to?
    Tony EH wrote: »
    We're going to L5, but not closing the schools?

That sounds kinda silly.

Teacher here. Personally, I think they are right to keep the schools open. At least when they are in school with us we have them far more socially distanced than their poor parents would, trying to keep them at home and on task while having to WFH at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Can I go trick or treating if I wear a mask, scary of course, keep within the 5km limit and stay 2m away from your front door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Arghus wrote: »
    To be honest, while he's not a great speaker, that's probably the best one of those he's done.

Agree. But no one cares about that, just looking at what the rules are now.

The messenger is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Off-Licences will be like Holy Thursday, completely cleared out.
    Why?
    Off licenses are still going to be open....

Clothes shops might be mental busy though, I was in town Sunday and they were the ones with queues

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Yes they are - some argue they are not.

Sure the HSE wont test anyone, kids in a class are not seen as close contacts of a teacher.(In my brothers case)

The data set is simply not complete.

Aye sitting next to someone who tests positive, while wearing a mask, doesn't count as a close contact according to the HSE. Also my Son's secondary school has had 2 cases in the last week, both kids were off sick on the Friday and tested positive on the Monday and that according to the HSE means no transmission was likely in the school. That's a joke, if the kid was sick enough to be off sick on the Friday then he was sick enough to pass Covid-19 on to others at the school, they also ignore playground interactions for some reason even though the kids are maskless on the playground and shouting, playing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

nullzero wrote: »
    People standing in supermarket queues in the wind and rain will all end up dying with colds, extended lockdown after that.

Wind and rain don't cause Colds or 'flu though, they are passed from person to person....just like Covid19.
    In enclosed spaces at close contact,hot,poorly ventilated rooms.
    Will the association of getting cold causing people to get colds and flu never die?

titan18 wrote: »
    That lad has that's hes a stock market investor and commentator on his Twitter.

When you need to go to the GP, do you to the local credit union?

When you are analysing stats you definitely don’t go to the local gp

The seroprevalence study here is one of the most poorly executed reports In the whole pandemic and the only think that can be concluded from is some people have antibodies as the methodology was atrocious. A matter as simple as ensuring 0.5% confirmed positive case( the total at the time), were included in the study to make sure it was representative was not included. It then did not follow up with the logical next step of completing a confirmation study on confirmed positive cases to identify the expected prevalence of antibodies in people who were confirmed as being positive. About the best thing about the study was that they selected 5,000 people to be representative of the population as a whole. This ceased to be representative when less than half of these showed up for test and they didn’t top up the numbers from missing demographics to remain representative. It is likely this may have resulted in a large portion of those who showed up being “good Covid citizens”, ie. those who obeyed restrictions and were less likely to be exposed. Those who were out working and getting exposed continued going to work rather than take the test. If find it hard to believe Philip Nolan quotes this study as he is very statistically savvy. The only conclusion I can make is that someone very senior signed off on the study and doesn’t now want to lose face by admitting how flawed it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So how close it this bubble thing. I live alone and my nearest family is 45 minutes away in the next county. Do you have to register it?

People standing in supermarket queues in the wind and rain will all end up dying with colds, extended lockdown after that.

Wind and rain don't cause Colds or 'flu though, they are passed from person to person....just like Covid19.
    Will the association of getting cold causing people to get colds and flu never die?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

He made such a fuss about those we've lost but didn't mention the heartless funeral restrictions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why wouldnt he take questions ffs

It was a speech/address not a press conference. No media were there.

M

gmisk wrote: »
    Why?
    Off licenses are still going to be open....

Clothes shops might be mental busy though, I was in town Sunday and they were the ones with queues

People will just go a little mad if it's 8pm closing, alcohol is the new toilet roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Teacher here. Personally, I think they are right to keep the schools open. At least when they are in school with us we have them far more socially distanced than their poor parents would, trying to keep them at home and on task while having to WFH at the same time.

Maybe in your school.

But there are yards up and down the country full of kids not socially distanced at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

I'm off to the local Tesco before 10 to stock up on toilet paper. At least we have football on TV this lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

So to clarify midnight Wednesday means 00:00:01 October 21st?

Yes.

I can also confirm that the sky is blue and the grass is green.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The government saves Christmas...

Sounds like an awful film...I wouldn't go to see it in any cinema...if any cinema was ever to open back up...

• Advertisement
    M

Gov.ie website has fallen on its ass.

It needed a movie quote

But at least he killed, publicly, the concept of zero-COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Its like March again with boards and gov.ie barely loading

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

fritzelly wrote: »
    George Lee in the background be warned

This buck was the main reporter when we had the recession......he's the main reporter now for this pandemic.....I'm sensing a connection.....go away George please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Tony EH wrote: »
    That still doesn't make it any less silly. Our uptick in cases coincided with the schools reopening. Hard to believe that that isn't having any affect.

This just isn't true. Cases have been increasing steadily since July. We just didn't notice it because absolute numbers were low.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

s1ippy wrote: »
    He made such a fuss about those we've lost but didn't mention the heartless funeral restrictions at all.

Yes he did. He said we couldn't say goodbye to them how we normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

statto25 wrote: »
    Can I go trick or treating if I wear a mask, scary of course, keep within the 5km limit and stay 2m away from your front door?

Sure, we can hurl hard boiled sweets at you from upstairs windows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bananaleaf wrote: »

That's nice. My mam is ****ting herself every day going in. Has pretty bad asthma and the wrong side of 60, she wouldn't stand a chance. But once parents don't have to be parents it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

polesheep wrote: »
    If any of those kids were mine I'd come after you with a 2x4. As it stands, I hope some of them come after you with a solicitor. They have no masks on because they are outside and you have no evidence whatsoever of what they were saying to each other. Christ! Is this what Iteland has come to?

Masks must be worn outside while in the presence of others!!! look at the science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Lundstram wrote: »
    They'll need their education because they'll be paying for this fiasco for the next 40 years.

40 years, lol. Have you looked at Ireland's debt recently? Even before Covid, we have a debt mainly from the banking collapse and subsequent bailout that is going to take generations to service. This is just like pouring more water into a bucket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement