Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Tony EH wrote: »
    Maybe in your school.

But there are yards up and down the country full of kids not socially distanced at all.

That is a valid point, I can only speak for my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gov.ie website has fallen on its ass.
    I am on it now looking at level 5 restrictions seems grand.

Boards.ie is falling on its ass a tad though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Schools remaining open completely negates the restrictions being asked for - they should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

nullzero wrote: »
    People standing in supermarket queues in the wind and rain will all end up dying with colds, extended lockdown after that.

Why would we be queuing more than before?

Also , colds are caused by viruses (have you hear of them?) not weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Arghus wrote: »
    To be honest, while he's not a great speaker, that's probably the best one of those he's done.

Agree. But no one cares about that, just looking at what the rules are now.

The messenger is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

gifted wrote: »
    This buck was the main reporter when we had the recession......he's the main reporter now for this pandemic.....I'm sensing a connection.....go away George please

George is loving this.

He is so important and relevant again . I'd say he's hoping none of the vaccines work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there any restrictions around hospital outpatient appointments in the few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What's the social bubble thing that he mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Sure, we can hurl hard boiled sweets at you from upstairs windows

I'd prefer 2 euro coins or funsize snickers actually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes he did. He said we couldn't say goodbye to them how we normally would.
    Oh brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

When you are analysing stats you definitely don’t go to the local gp

The seroprevalence study here is one of the most poorly executed reports In the whole pandemic and the only think that can be concluded from is some people have antibodies as the methodology was atrocious. A matter as simple as ensuring 0.5% confirmed positive case( the total at the time), were included in the study to make sure it was representative was not included. It then did not follow up with the logical next step of completing a confirmation study on confirmed positive cases to identify the expected prevalence of antibodies in people who were confirmed as being positive. About the best thing about the study was that they selected 5,000 people to be representative of the population as a whole. This ceased to be representative when less than half of these showed up for test and they didn’t top up the numbers from missing demographics to remain representative. It is likely this may have resulted in a large portion of those who showed up being “good Covid citizens”, ie. those who obeyed restrictions and were less likely to be exposed. Those who were out working and getting exposed continued going to work rather than take the test. If find it hard to believe Philip Nolan quotes this study as he is very statistically savvy. The only conclusion I can make is that someone very senior signed off on the study and doesn’t now want to lose face by admitting how flawed it was
    Great post.
    I've done a lot of university work in statistics and the fact they didn't toss the study out is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

No mention of the Gah....do we take it it will proceed?
    Anyone got Leo,sorry Gavan Reilly’s digits??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

NIMAN wrote: »
    George is loving this.

He is so important and relevant again . I'd say he's hoping none of the vaccines work.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

What about all the lives going to be lost with non Covid treatments being suspended, complete joke. 99.999% of people who get cancer don't recover.
    Going to Level 5 doesn’t stop non Covid treatments. It’s the opposite - one of the factors in deciding to go to Level 5 is to protect hospitals from having to cancel non Covid treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

He said we could read the full restrictions online . Does snyone kniw where I can find it please

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Its like March again with boards and gov.ie barely loading

You would think they would have planned for a surge like this over the Summer.

Like the HSE did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Arghus wrote: »
    To be honest, while he's not a great speaker, that's probably the best one of those he's done.

Don’t like him. Didn’t rate his last waffleton but thought he was excellent tonight. Struck a great balance between answering some of the alternative suggestions for dealing with this, outlining the government’s priorities and strategy, giving some detail, tugged on the heartstrings a bit and gave it a good shot at rallying the country.

A speech won’t win the day here but Martin did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭cassette50

For anyone who wishes to travel around the country this weekend, just throw a high viz jacket and hard hat onto the back seat of the car and when stopped just say you are a construction worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

George is loving this.

He's not alone judging by a lot of the posts in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Guaranteed teachers unions will demand schools close after the mid term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Does NCT remain open?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

George is loving this.

He is so important and relevant again .

I was thinking this as well. George Flee (sorry, Lee) loves his gloom and doom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Don’t like him. Didn’t rate his last waffleton but thought he was excellent tonight. Struck a great balance between answering some of the alternative suggestions for dealing with this, outlining the government’s priorities and strategy, giving some detail, tugged on the heartstrings a bit and gave it a good shot at rallying the country.

I'm also not a fan and also agree here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

cassette50 wrote: »
    For anyone who wishes to travel around the country this weekend, just throw a high viz jacket and hard hat onto the back seat of the car and when stopped just say you are a construction worker.

Yes, nice and responsible that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Masks must be worn outside while in the presence of others!!! look at the science
    Not in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

DeanAustin wrote: »

He was atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye sitting next to someone who tests positive, while wearing a mask, doesn't count as a close contact according to the HSE. Also my Son's secondary school has had 2 cases in the last week, both kids were off sick on the Friday and tested positive on the Monday and that according to the HSE means no transmission was likely in the school. That's a joke, if the kid was sick enough to be off sick on the Friday then he was sick enough to pass Covid-19 on to others at the school, they also ignore playground interactions for some reason even though the kids are maskless on the playground and shouting, playing etc.

Seriously?? You're wearing a mask so you're not a close contact :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What movie was that speech from

There was either a piece from a film or a poem with that bit about the dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Take a valium there or something dude.

I almost choked on my rice cake I laughed so hard. What an unexpected way that would have been to go in these times. Middle of a pandemic, reading the Covid thread on boards while eating rice cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

When are the fines being implemented?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement