Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gmisk wrote: »
    Simon Donnelly.....I'd say he is limbering up to stick his foot in his mouth as we speak...

More than likely gone back under his rock, daylight not good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Processing all this now and have to agree with the point made about schools being opened negating all that will be gained by implementing level 5.

Can see them extending the midterm for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes website says fully operational and was updated tonight....

https://www.ncts.ie/

Great thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

gmisk wrote: »
    Simon Donnelly.....I'd say he is limbering up to stick his foot in his mouth as we speak...

Simon :pac:

Another one who thinks Simon Harris and Stephen Donnelly had a cross-party love-child :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

This thread going to be a mess for the next two weeks with cases sky rocketing in level 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Has to be level 2 on the 1st of December if this works!!! Nothing else will do. If you go to level 3 you’re still damaging the hospitality sector further as this would usually be their busiest 4/5 weeks of the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Gov.ie website has fallen on its ass.

So has boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

So nothing on fines or enforcement. Great

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It would have been good if MM admitted that the government and the HSE sat on their hands all summer and did not increase ICU capacity in anticipation of an onslaught of Covid & flu this winter.

Yep. Once again putting all the pressure to fix this on business’ who played no part in any major spread, and people who have been doing their best to abide by the guidelines thus far. While the govt did absolutely nothing to increase ICU capacity and fully equip hospitals. The people who haven’t cared so far will still not care. GAA matches can still go ahead with players snotting and sweating all over each other but women whose partners live in the same household have to attend scans alone. You can still travel in and out of the country but not 5k from your home. Schools can still go ahead but no more haircuts.
    Makes sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

appledrop wrote: »
    Yea its the sequel to 'The government saves Summer' + we all now how that ended. We listened to Leo like fools when he told us summer wasn't over + we might be able to travel abroad for holidays. It was all a pack of lies + people are fools of they swallow it this time.

Christmas will not be saved because there is no way numbers will drop enough during period given over 1 million people will still be mixing in schools, creches etc.

Its a S**tshow.

Ah stop will you. He wasn’t lying. Sure what would his motivation be?

It’s a ****show but it’s not anyone’s fault. It’s just a crap situation that everyone has to live with till we find a vaccine. Most people are just doing their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well on the upside this lockdown will show up this nphet sh1tshow as the spoofers and liars they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

JimToken wrote: »
    Can I go and visit my great great granny and my grand niece?

They live 5.1 km away from me?

Yes if you are bringing her a package of paracetamol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Whether another lockdown is right or wrong, I'd say there's decidedly less appetite for one, and I expect a lot more people will defy the regulations in what ways they can.

NPHET is an advisory body that makes recommendations to the government. The government is not obliged to act on these recommendations, however. If the government does act, I should think, or should hope, that it's after a period where they weigh the recommendation against economic, political and social concerns, and not just following the advice blindly. That is probably why they hesitated on the existing recommendation.

It's all pretty difficult, really. What I will say is that if cases were allowed to continue to rise and hospitals start to overflow, those who are vehemently against lockdowns would probably run for cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

40 years, lol. Have you looked at Ireland's debt recently? Even before Covid, we have a debt mainly from the banking collapse and subsequent bailout that is going to take generations to service. This is just like pouring more water into a bucket.
    Don’t forget the EU covid-bailout package

s1ippy wrote: »
    A good friend of mine has a shop in Cork. He's 66 so he doesn't get the PUP. What's he supposed to do? He has no choice but to close down.

Genuinely not meant as a smart answer, but at 66 he can apply for his pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

DeanAustin wrote: »
    We will be locking down again in the new year. Anyone thinking otherwise is nuts. Without a vaccine, this is the cycle.

I hope we don’t get to the end of this and have people saying “well we didn’t get rid of it so we failed.”

That's what doesn't make sense

If the government plan was for rolling lockdowns

Why open the pubs and hairdressers at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭larchielads

Any news on evictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

owlbethere wrote: »
    I understand the reasons for the new restrictions, trying to suppress the virus before we move into the Christmas period. I get that but none of this makes sense. The spread of the virus is occurring outside of the businesses that have been ordered to close. The spread of the virus is occurring
    - after matches and people congregating in crowds after games
    - house parties and house gatherings
    - schools

The businesses with restrictions is non essential retail and other services (did I hear that one right?), and outdoor dining is now also banned.

For fcuk sake. None of this makes sense.

I was on board before and I will continue to follow the guidelines but this new lockdown is nothing but sh1te. I don't think this will help with the numbers of cases too. The games will continue, the house parties will continue, the schools will continue to be open - all encouraging the spread of the virus.

My god!

You may be right but time will tell. They seem fairly confident in their modelling that this will work. Obviously only in the short term. Restrictions like this are not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That was fairly anti-climatic after all those leaks. 6 weeks it is so. Mind yerselves folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Has to be level 2 on the 1st of December if this works!!! Nothing else will do. If you go to level 3 you’re still damaging the hospitality sector further as this would usually be their busiest 4/5 weeks of the year!!

Christmas is gone. He did say it’s lockdowns until we get a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Well on the upside this lockdown will show up this nphet sh1tshow as the spoofers and liars they are.

Is that you Leo ?

Wonder where you were hiding .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So he basically just said do this for 6 weeks and they'll row back on the 1st. Sounded fairly set in stone with his mention of a half decent Christmas but by god he's an awful public speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So nothing on fines or enforcement. Great
    The fines need legislation by the Dail, some elements of enforcement most likely as well.

Very very dangerous not closing schools down. If this watered down L5 doesn't work and cases remain to rise because of the schools Xmas trade will also be lost as measures will be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

briany wrote: »
    Whether another lockdown is right or wrong, I'd say there's decidedly less appetite for one, and I expect a lot more people will defy the regulations in what ways they can.

NPHET is an advisory body that makes recommendations to the government. The government is not obliged to act on these recommendations, however. If the government does act, I should think, or should hope, that it's after a period where they weigh the recommendation against economic, political and social concerns, and not just following the advice blindly. That is probably why they hesitated on the existing recommendation.

It's all pretty difficult, really. What I will say is that if cases were allowed to continue to rise and hospitals start to overflow, those who are vehemently against lockdowns would probably run for cover.

To be honest with the weather the way it is in November usually and pubs etc closed it'll probably be a quiet time all over the country. Everyone talks about defying restrictions but most people will just follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can we still mind children that we have minded for 7 years now ? He didn’t mentioned child care in another home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Because he's 2 weeks late for a start.

Doesnt mean he didn’t deliver the message well tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Any word on whos getting grilled on Claire byrne later?

Who cares? CB is a lightweight anyway and the interviewees run rings around her.

Wouldn't watch Irish TV in a fit anyway, sorry. You can let me know how it went ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If it works, they're right. If it fails, it gets extended and we'll be told that we need to knuckle down.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    The fines need legislation by the Dail, some elements of enforcement most likely as well.

What are they waiting on? Why didn't they sit through the night and get it done?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement